(S)He did WHAT?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl
Default (S)He did WHAT??

Would you share of a time when your dog did something so completely unexpected that you were taken aback? For example:

We had a beagle/bichon mix (never again) who loved his toys. One day, he brought me his soppy ball, clearly wanting me to throw it. I sort of dismissed him by waving him off and saying, 'no ball, today'. SO....he put his ball up (my pets are taught to pick up after themselves), and brought back his tug rope. I was so impressed, we played a good round of tug, THEN ball.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Shortly after we got Tasha I gave everyone marrow bones. These are a high value treat item at my house so I made sure that they all got one and that they were not next to each other so I wouldn't have any jealously problems. They were chewing happily away when I noticed that Buddy had moved in next to Tasha. They were passing the bones back and forth between them sharing. I about fell over because Buddy had always jealously guarded his bones from the other dogs. But he happily shares with Tasha. It is so cute.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Shortly after we got Tasha I gave everyone marrow bones. These are a high value treat item at my house so I made sure that they all got one and that they were not next to each other so I wouldn't have any jealously problems. They were chewing happily away when I noticed that Buddy had moved in next to Tasha. They were passing the bones back and forth between them sharing. I about fell over because Buddy had always jealously guarded his bones from the other dogs. But he happily shares with Tasha. It is so cute.
So...he plays favorites, then. Very cute.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I play on the floor a lot with the dogs. Because Hondo is big, I always act like it's his job to help me up off the floor. He stands quietly and allows me to place my hand on his shoulders. I mostly make a lot of groaning and moaning sounds till I'm up, then I thank him for helping me as I could never do it on my own.

He has a bad leg, so in reality, we'd never apply additional pressure on him. But he thinks it's his job.

Hubby is at home with a broken leg. When he gets up on his crutches, he makes a lot of real moaning and groaning sounds. Hondo insists on being there EVERY time to help him up off of the chair. Nothing taught. He just sees the need (recognizes the voice/sounds) and wants to help. In the beginning, Hondo made it more dangerous as a major trip hazzard.

It just does something to one's heart to watch your dog jump up from a deep sleep when he hears his 'master' moving to get up. Stand at alert glued next to him waiting for him to rise to his feet. Thinking with out him, his 'master' would remain forever on the chair.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh my gosh, Nancy! Hondo is adorable. What a cute story.
Stevenzachsmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I always remember this with a chuckle tho I was mortified at the time.

I used to do home checks for GSRNE, I usually took my male dog Dodge, who was Mr Aloof, neutral / solid dog to see how people reacted to him (he was basically black / bicolor) not Mr friendly, but anyone could do anything to him and he'd stand there and take it.. Anyhow, I went to do a check on a family, they were fine, left Dodge in the car, so on my way out, I said "would you like to meet Dodge? " they said sure

The husband and wife come outside, I get dodge out of the car, he is on leash standing sideways in front of me, the wife is petting him, fawning all over him, he is just standing there looking at the husband who is looking at him,,next thing I know Dodge steps forward and PEES ON THE GUYS LEG! I jerked him backwards, MORTIFIED, the wife was hysterically laughing, the husband was like WTH just happened? LOL

I profusely apologized, wondering where the heck THAT came from! I don't know, Dodge wasn't talking, the whole time he just stood there like "WHHHAAAAT?, so I peed on the guy?" LOL

He must have known something, they did get a dog, but returned it within two days, the husband was supposedly allergic

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good boy, Dodge! GOOOOOD boy! LOL!

Well, this is probably not what you were looking for. It was a WHAT?? in a funny, but not especially good way......
Natty Boh is in the process of housebreaking and doing very well. The other day, I was about to take him out, but wound up on a phone call. (Totally, my fault.) Natty Boh was in the kitchen with me, but had disappeared around the corner next to his crate. When I got off the phone, Boh was sitting in the corner. In front of him, was a pile of dog poo. Carefully placed on top of the pile of poo was his fluffy toy. I think he was trying to hide it, which makes him at least as smart as a human toddler. I just laughed and said, "Sorry dude, but you can't hide that. I can smell too."
Stevenzachsmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

ROFL! StevenZachsmom - that's hysterical and perfectly fits here. Same with Dodge. HE knew, didn't he?!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here's my favorite *facepalm* story:

Finn is going to get his nails trimmed. This is not something that he particularly enjoys, but he sits quietly while it's done. We walk into the groomers' salon and he hops up on the table. He's been to the bathroom prior to this. She does his front paws quicker than usual, but he's sitting calmly. She lifts his back leg and next thing I know, he pees all over her and the table. I was mortified! Needless to say, she got tipped very well!

My favorite "awww" story:

Right after I hurt my back, I was on heavy duty meds. I would be wobbly as I walked up the steps. One day, I put my hand on Finn's back to steady myself as I went up. Ever since then, the minute I turn off the TV, he goes to the steps and sits there until I start walking up. He then walks slowly next to me until I get to the top.

He's not trained to do it, but I have to give him credit for doing it.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When Enka(Weimaraner) and Dixie(GSD) were young, I'd take them to a nature preserve in the middle of nowhere to run.

Once, when I called them to get back in the van to go home---Enka came at a run, hopped in the van and jumped into her seat. No Dixie. Very unusual. I called and whistled a few times, still no Dixie. VERY unusual. Finally, Dixie shows up---but she stops at the edge of the parking area and will not come any closer even when called. VERY VERY unusual!!!

Dixie sits down and ignores my calls for her to get in the van. EXTREMELY unusual. So, I start to walk in her direction. When I am almost there, she jumps up and starts off down the path----then turns and looks to make sure I'm coming. She gave me the Lassie whine.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.