(S)He did WHAT?? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry----my computer was acting up and I couldn't get the post to go up properly or edit, second try.

When Enka(Weimaraner) and Dixie(GSD) were young, I'd take them to a nature preserve in the middle of nowhere to run.

Once, when I called them to get back in the van to go home---Enka came at a run, hopped in the van and jumped into her seat. No Dixie. Very unusual. I called and whistled a few times, still no Dixie. VERY unusual. Finally, Dixie shows up---but she stops at the edge of the parking area and will not come any closer even when called. VERY VERY unusual!!!

Dixie sits down and ignores my calls for her to get in the van. EXTREMELY unusual. So, I start to walk in her direction. When I am almost there, she jumps up and starts off down the path----then turns and looks to make sure I'm coming. She gave me the Lassie whine.

I called Enka and we followed Dixie to see what she'd found. Dixie took us straight to a small tree with a kitten crying in it. Where it came from or how it got there was a mystery----we had not seen any cats or other people all day long. It could not have been over 5 weeks old, teeth were just barely coming in. I decided it had to have been dumped off by someone. A kitten of that age would not survive long without its mother like that.

I got the kitten down and Dixie headed straight for the van at a gallop(keeping her eye on me and the kitten the whole time). When we reached the van she was in her seat in a flash and insisted on me putting the kitten with her. When I did she immediately laid down and began grooming/mothering the kitten.

Dixie raised that kitten singlehandedly from the first day----even coming to me when she thought the kitten needed to be fed.

The kitten got the name Dymka(meaning "smokey" in Russian because of his very unusual light and dark grey coat coloration). We had Dymka for several years after that. Even after Dymka grew into a largish tom cat and would get into scrapes with other tom cats in the neighborhood----Mamma Dixie was always there to make sure that nothing bad could ever happen to HER kitten.

Enka, Dixie and Dymka are all gone now----but I'll never forget Dixie and her baby kitten, I miss them all very much.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Awwwww!
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wetdog - I love that story. That is so incredible.
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jeeze Wetdog, you're making me cry! What a nice story.

These stories are great!

I'm on my first GSD, and she's just 9 months so I don't have any good stories just yet. But I just marvel at how her little brain works.

Her auntie sent her a Christmas toy, which she just came the other night. Well Berlin chewed a chunk off in about 5 minutes, so I took it from her and hid it under the cushion on the couch (laughable, I know). She kept trying to get it, and I told her firmly "Leave it" and she did but kept coming back and sniffing to see if it was still there. She seemed very concerned about it, whining/staring and whatnot, but I ignored her.

I got distracted watching TV, and the next time I looked over, she was resting her head on the couch staring at the pillows, and she'd brought over two of her toys and put them on the pillow.

It was like she thought her new toy was lonely, and was bringing it some of her toys for company, then standing guard.

What a ham, she makes me laugh. Love my puppy-dog.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.