Grim the maniac - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Red face Grim the maniac

Took Grim with us today to go look at some homes for sale, then to Petsmart. It's become clear that he's just not tolerating the BB food, despite doing a 2 week change over. So we went to go get a bag of Innova. Well, as soon as we got him out of the van, he started barking and carrying on. Not like him at all. There was music playing outside (from one of the stores in the shopping center) and I thought maybe that was his issue. NOT. We went into the store, and he was looking to the right for the cashier where he scores his goodies. In this store, it's on the left. I think that made him a tad bit mad, also. She wasn't just the cashier but also the store's trainer, so she wanted him to do something for the treat. Once he had it, he just dropped it. The ENTIRE time we were in the store, he was barking and making his 'other' vocalizations. This is SO unlike him!! He was doing it almost non-stop. He scared the pants off nearly every customer in the store. More than usual, people were making wide berths around him. I was so embarrassed! He'd go from barking to making his "I'm mad" noises. He wasn't acting aggressive or anything, but I'm sure he appeared to be. Once we got back to the front, he wanted to play with the doors. Sometimes he likes to do this... making them open over and over again. Luckily there were a few understanding souls in there. A couple of people asked how old he was (which helped some in keeping them from thinking he was being aggressive). A young couple entered the store and as he was barking (at the air) he went up to them with his tail wagging like crazy demanding to get some attention. They didn't have an issue petting my maniac (luckily... or I'm sure he'd have gotten even more obnoxious) until he barked while looking at the female. Then she kind of backed off... but he was still wanting to be petted so he took a few more steps toward her. I assured her that he was OK. He just had a wild hair for some reason and wasn't barking at her. I had to lift him back into the van because he was just standing outside of it barking like a madman. I have NO idea what got into him!! He normally doesn't bark. Let alone at nothing and non-stop!! I ended up thinking he was tired and cranky from being in the van. Maybe he thought I was taking him someplace better. Either way... he left me wanting to disappear into the floor, which is the first time that's happened. I hope that he doesn't pull this again anytime soon!!!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

been there done that!!!!! i make sure lexie has plenty of exercise before going to stimulating places like that. i dont remember how old grim is, but you never know how they are gonna act, outstanding one time and obnoxious the next. kinda reminds me of my kids when they were young
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

He's six and a half months now. I'm hoping he doesn't pull this again anytime soon. It's so abnormal for him to bark.... that's what really threw me!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't always bark, but when I do I bark at nothing.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does he like to carry a ball or tug? That would be a great way to pacify him, and he can take his excitement out on the toy, instead of putting it into vocalizing.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I haven't actually tried to get him to carry anything yet. Since he rarely barks and hasn't ever pulled this before, I didn't have a reason to. However, that's a great suggestion, and I'll make sure I have something like that on me next time! His favorite balls are the ones with the stuff inside that sounds like a plastic bottle. It has an open rubber cover...so it bounces. He bounces those things all through the house, until he takes it into the bedroom and loses it under the bed.

Last edited by Jag; 01-19-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

he wanted to go to the other petsmart.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
he wanted to go to the other petsmart.
I wouldn't rule that out, either.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting. Well he is a puppy and he may be going through a phase. Teach him the QUIET or ENOUGH command. Does he like squeaky toys? (I have never tried this) But after mine disembowel their stuffed toys, to get the squeaker, I relieve them of this kool little object. It is like a tiny balloon in your pocket that you can squeeze for instant attention. Sometimes getting your dog's attention back on you, makes sense. Instead of telling him No! or Quiet! or Enough! Try squeaking the squeaker and when he looks at you, start playing with him and then give him a sit command, praise, down command, good boy, Sit, then a quick trick high five, PARTY TIME!!! Then try continuing your walk.

Who knows. It may not work, but it might be fun to try it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Not a bad idea, Selzer! The only squeaker he has right now is a snake that is not supposed to be able to be broken. I got it before we moved, and it's still squeaking away! I may have to get a cheap one to de-stuff to grab the squeaker.

However, I think I did find out why he was acting that way. He had diarrhea back in spades!! I thought it was the egg from Thurs. night, but found out that he was still having it even all last night. Just terrible!! He's gotten whiny and vocal before because he had to potty. There wasn't a decent space outside for him to go, and he didn't want to go in the store (thankfully). He let loose a few grumbles when we got home, and let it all go in the yard. At least I know now what his issue was. Sometimes it takes awhile for the light to click on and realize why he's doing something. I do feel better about it, although I'm sure he was miserable!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.