German Shepherds Forum banner

What I love about my GSD

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Maya 
#1 ·
Maybe it's the personality or the bond. I don't know but there is nothing on this earth like giving your big dog a hug when your sad and he wraps his head around your shoulders. Planting your face between those big mammoth ears or the mere touch of the velvety softness of their ears brings comfort. The zest and excitement of going for a walk or a car ride. The absolute joy of seeing and smelling the people he knows and loves. The warm body snuggled up to you while watching tv and knowing that this dog that loves me would protect me from the bad guys in this world. The unconditional love and wanting to obey my commands as hard as it can be for him sometimes because he's just so happy. That rolled over on his back, belly up smile showing the shiny white teeth. The fact that he is practically begging to be petted by people that are terrified of him, but doesn't push himself on them. This is why I love my dog, my German Shepard, my Mojo. This is also why I have spent a small fortune on toys that usually get thrown away with in a week. :wub::);)

#4 ·
The toys don't last very long before they are "loved to death", lol. Maybe a week at most. He seems to take great joy in finding the squeaker inside and totally ripping it apart and then carring the "body parts" around. I caught him the other day letting out a triumphant "mmm" noise with the most recent noisy toy.
Needless to say, I frequent the clearance rack at petsmart and soft plushy squeaky toys we only get on special occasions because I have to watch him like a hawk so he doesn't eat the stuffing. Plus, I have this horrible vision of my big dog walking around making squeaky noises because he ate the squeaker. :laugh:

#5 ·
You are so right to be careful. Mojo is just after the squeaker. To him it is the "hunt" to find what is inside. He doesn't care about cuddling or mouthing the toy. My Sting likes soft toys (only a certain white wool type bear that squeaks) but it is like his teddy bear - he sleeps with it, carries it around, mouthes it, makes it squeak - but doesn't rip it apart. Your Mojo would maybe really enjoy a kong or one of those treat balls - at least he could safely eat what is inside and that type of toy would last and be safe for him.

#6 ·
Awww, you have a sweetheart like my RussRuss. He is a snuggler the size of a small horse. I've found some indestructable toys, like the green snake with squeakers, ok, that's the only one he hasn't destroyed. I keep buying the kong squeaky balls, he loves those. He has a giraffe with a lot of squeakers, no stuffing, that is his lovey and he hasn't destroyed it. I have two big kongs that I fill with canned food (one can fills two kongs) and I freeze them, he gets one a day. How can you not spoil these dogs? Impossible.

#7 ·
Your right, I think it is the thrill of finding the squeak. Also, the treat toys are great! I have 3 different kinds. A kong, an everlasting treat ball and a dumb bell looking one I found on clearance. He has a plush ball and rubber pig. Those seem to have lasted. Anything with arms and a body are shredded. I love the toys that make him use his brain. I do have to add, apparently the nyla bones don't last either. They are great when the pup is 3 months old but at 7 months it's another story.

I love my big sweetheart though. He's like the human kids. A little spoiled but loved.

#8 ·
I love the fact that she is always there beside me, looking up at me, making me go for long walks, barking at noises outside, chases snowflakes, keeps the 14 year old chow cross young, listens to me, she is so soft, when I sit on the toilet she pushes the door open and sticks her head in my neck and wants her loves, she smells like bounce sheets, and loves me unconditionally. She is so beautiful, inside and out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.