'Wrong' To Have Break From Dogs? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So boarding your dog, at a vet's office (the same one this woman is using), is not accepting responsibility?

You are being very responsible in making sure your dog is well looked after in your absense.
Caledon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some people really need to mind their own business and keep their mouths shut.

Yes, it is nice to take a break sometimes. Especially when you have multiple dogs and they are a handful... sometimes you just don't want to have to worry about things. I have had clients board their dogs with me for all kinds of reasons. One client was having a wedding at their home, and just didn't want to worry about the dog getting in the way or being stressed out. Another was in the middle of an out-of-state move, and needed to have the dogs out of the way and secure. Heck, sometimes clients tell me they feel a bit of relief just having the dog in the grooming shop for a day!

They're like kids. With some dogs you have to watch & supervise constantly, and it gets exhausting. A stressed-out owner is not going to be at their best with the dogs anyway. Nothing wrong with taking a break!

I find that when I'm on a petless vacation, I'm in awe of the fact that I can put on anything in my suitcase and it isn't covered with hair within 10 minutes.

I also find, however, that I really miss my pets after a few days. Oddly enough, I find that I miss my cats more than my dogs. My cats sit on my lap, cuddle with me on the couch, and sleep in bed with me... they're warm, furry, and unobstrusive, and don't take a lot of "management". In fact, I'm thinking about taking one of my cats with me when I go to my grooming seminar next month. Crazy? Maybe a little, but I have one cat who loves staying in hotels and having me all to himself. He needs a break as much as anyone.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

I love having the occasional break from my dogs, because I take the responsibility seriously! If you do that, then owning dogs is a ton of work, as we all know. It's nice to be able to lounge around in bed until 10 AM and not have to worry about letting them out, get a little tipsy at a friend's party without having to make sure you have a ride home (because you can crash at the host's house, I mean), be able to enjoy the winter weather from inside a nice cozy house without the knowledge that you're going to have to be out in it soon because the puppy really needs a walk... Anyone who says it isn't is a liar, or doesn't take very good care of their dogs.

I think it is very similar to parents, and the attitude that you always have to love your role as caretaker is harmful in both situations, because then people who do get frustrated or tired of it sometimes wind up feeling alone and flawed. I always love my dogs, and if I have kids, I'm sure I will always love them...but I also sometimes just wish I didn't have dogs, and my friends who are parents say the same thing about their kids! It's not a real wish, and there's definitely more benefit than drawback to having a pet or a child, but seriously, it isn't all sunshine and roses and sometimes everyone just needs a break!

Also that's one of the few times I will ever compare dog ownership to parenting, just so y'all know...I'm not a fan of the "fur children" attitude.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

My mother owns a boarding kennel, and I send my 3 dogs there for a day if i need a break.. doesn't bother them at all, does all of us good to get away from each other for a bit.. we wouldn't think anything of it if a customer told us they just needed a break and wanted to leave their dogs here for a night! I wouldn't pay any attention to that lady
King&Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh puhhleezzee! The week after Christmas, I went with my husband to his lease. I stayed in a hotel (I'm not real big with the whole camping game.) and he'd come pick me up after the morning hunt. We'd play all day long at the lease. I had ONE dog with me. During the night hunt, I'd kennel the dog. Then back to the hotel for a hot shower and cable TV. It was paradise.

I left behind three dogs, three horses and one barn cat with my nephew. I did feel bad leaving Hondo behind, because he loves the lease. But his leg was bothering him and I knew it would be too much for him.

I loved it. It was a much needed vacation for me. It refreshed my soul. I never had to look at a clock. And honestly..I only called once a day checking on the critters.

At the end, I was ready to come home.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

I love my dog to death, but at the same time, I don't mind dropping him off at the kennel or at a friends' house for all the reasons stated above. I also think he likes to have a break from me every now and then! I think he enjoys being able to run around with a pack of dogs and be able to do the things that only a group of dogs can do.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default 'Wrong' To Have Break From Dogs?

That woman should have really kept her snide comments to yourself.

It's nice to have a break every once in a while. I usually take Avery for over night boarding when I need to mop the floors once a month. Silly boy really loves to be in my dirt piles while I sweep. He goes to the place I volunteer at and it is more like going to visit his aunt and uncle and all their crazy fur babies than a kennel. However I cannot board him while my husband is TDY for work, the one time I did that I had the worst nightmare of being kidnapped.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

You have every right to take a vacation and no way should you have to defend yourself (and good for you for not rising to the bait). I find more and more often people confront each other about things that are just none of their business.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.