How many dogs is too many dogs? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
One lady from my dogs puppy class said she has 10 dogs... The other we were discussing kibble she said all her dogs get Pedigree, couple of weeks later I saw her at the vet and she said that she goes there every week, she works for a vet so I guess she gets privileges. But pedigree seriously that's why people shouldn't have so many dogs. Also recently on the news close to me the lady had like 50 chihuahuas because she couldn't afford to spay/ neuter until animal control got a hold of them... It's not ok to have dogs and not take care of them properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Honestly, I was feeding Pedigree as a back up because all of mine did fantastic on it.

Yeah, it's not the greatest brand of food, but one of mine used to be very picky about food and if I couldn't get my general brand, I used to get Pedigree instead because I knew they did really well on it.

I no longer follow the craze of "My gosh, how do you NOT feed something grainfree and super-expensive."

I feed what the dogs like and actually eat. My picky eater wouldn't eat BB and feeding 4 ( well, 3 now... )dogs TOTW, BB, Orijen, etc. is busting your bankaccount.

Generally, I'm feeding Diamond (yes, I know the re-calls) but I have not had any issues with them, they are a decent food brand and actually affordable.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #42 (permalink)

My schutzhund trainer said he has 13 dogs!!!!!
He said he spends 4-6hrs a day, every day, training his personal dogs on top of training other people's dogs for a living!!
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
One lady from my dogs puppy class said she has 10 dogs... The other we were discussing kibble she said all her dogs get Pedigree, couple of weeks later I saw her at the vet and she said that she goes there every week, she works for a vet so I guess she gets privileges. But pedigree seriously that's why people shouldn't have so many dogs. Also recently on the news close to me the lady had like 50 chihuahuas because she couldn't afford to spay/ neuter until animal control got a hold of them... It's not ok to have dogs and not take care of them properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I've fed the Hooligans Pedigree and they did quite well on it!!! In fact years ago it was considered a decent food ... later new foods were introduced that were better ... but I don't look down my nose at anyone who gives a dog a loving home and can't afford a more expensive brand of food.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I've fed the Hooligans Pedigree and they did quite well on it!!! In fact years ago it was considered a decent food ... later new foods were introduced that were better ... but I don't look down my nose at anyone who gives a dog a loving home and can't afford a more expensive brand of food.
I know several people including my vet's tech who feed their dog Pedigree. So IMO feeding pedigree is not "not taking care of them properly" in my book, it is a preference. If their dogs do well on it why would they switch?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #45 (permalink)

Default too many.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
I get the same reaction from my family... I have four dogs though no kids.

Mine get the best vet care and food, I have a big basket full of toys and they go everywhere we can take them, my life revolves around them. So who are they to judge?!

Well... ok I also have three cats, two bunnies, a parrot and fish.
ROFL! You are NOT allowed to talk to my daughter (the future "animal horder queen")! Our home currently contains: 1 GSD, 2 Gerbils, and 1 Cat.
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.