How many dogs is too many dogs? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauney22 View Post
I have 4 children, human children that is. When I lived in the suburbs and was asked the question, most people gasped! "Wow, FOUR KIDS?!" "Don't you find that alot of work?". Well, its not like they all landed on my doorstep at one time unexpected!!! You would think I had an additional head growing off my shoulders, by the way they reacted! I have always had dogs as well. Usually more than two at one time. Some were fostered, which made the family even larger. Well, the reaction to THAT was like I had a 3rd head growing.

When I moved to dairy country with my family 14 years ago, I felt right at home. Most families out here have many children and the number "4" was not nearly as alien sounding. I live in a nice home, with nice furniture, and a few acres. I keep my home very clean and organized (some would say overly particular!). I am self employed in the health care field, have a strong client base, and drive a nice vehicle. Typical all Canadian woman. But I still have one of those extra heads growing off my shoulders! Why? Because I have dogs. What most people think is too many dogs. I often get the "Are they all in your house?" "My God, there must be so much hair!" "Doesn't your house smell?" "WHY would you want SOOOO many???" Then it eventually becomes mocking "Get any new dogs in the last week? Hahaha!" I'm even aware that I am gossiped about.

My question goes back to the title of this subject. A question I'm not even looking for an answer to. My dogs are well fed and loved. They are a part of my daily life. Some come to work with me, while others get the advantage of the bush walk every day. I keep their lives active and have very few, VERY few behavioural issues. Yes, there is the occasional K9 argument that is worked out quickly, but all are very content. I have a vet, but rarely have the need to visit. People who have MET my dogs often want to take them home. People who have met my dogs often consult me on behavioural issues with their own dogs (I am not an expert but through years of having lived with dogs and through trial and error, I learned a few things). After 2 minutes of being in my home, the excitement of the arrival of a visitor has subsided.

My children are mentally healthy and productive members of society. Three now on their own and two of them have their own dog. The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I myself have always lived growing up with more than one dog..my parents always had 2-4 labrador retrievers in the house and I'm the youngest of 8. My parents are not catholics but thats what most people say when they hear I have 7 other sibling.."are your parents cathothic?!" Nope...they love kids and have a love for dogs/animals as well. I suppose it helps that my father has worked as a small animal vet for the past 35 yrs too though and he grew up with Labs..My parents own a nice country property of about 105acres. Used to have about 100 sheep as a hobby and my parents did that for about 12 years before sheep and wool prices went down. and I've always had a love of horses so we have a few of them too as well as a pony and 3 mini donkeys and some barn cats..As soon as I moved out I got my GSD which I've always wanted from a young age. I think the more animals you have the merrier . So long as you can provide well and care for all of them of course.

Last edited by Piper'sgrl; 01-16-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Piper'sgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for all the answers. I guess all being said, I do recognize that I resent the immediate judgment a "number" can cause. Leaving the bank yesterday, there was a man walking in with a ten week old puppy in his arms. The gentleman's hair was not clean, he wore a tattered jacket, but had a huge smile on his face when I went up to him. He was so proud of all the things his pup was learning already. He told me proudly that he also got some toys for the dog at a local donation centre. Is this dog going to be fed Premium food? Is he going to be able to afford the vet for the small mass that is already present on her belly? No, I'm pretty sure not. But he LOVES his pup and seems dedicated to doing the best that HE can do. So who am I to judge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
It is kind of sad when someone has to specify they have four human children because these days you just don't know whether people talk about human or dog children.

That is why my dogs will be my dogs and not "children" because children are human, period!
I do not consider my dogs my children but I also respect that some individuals do, hence my reason for stating that mine were children

Shauney22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper'sgrl View Post
I myself have always lived growing up with more than one dog..my parents always had 2-4 labrador retrievers in the house and I'm the youngest of 8. ...... I think the more animals you have the merrier . So long as you can provide well and care for all of them of course.
Sounds like a wonderful life

Shauney22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

My children are mentally healthy and productive members of society. Three now on their own and two of them have their own dog. The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

That's funny! I come from a family of four girls - each of us are at least a year apart. My mom would say the same thing. Although we only had one dog at a time growing up, we did have horses as well. IMO - the critters help build a strong foundation with us sisters. We are all animal lovers and have a great deal of compasion towards others.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Shauney22;2748898]
The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

That is hilarious! My husband is one of 16 kids and whenever that gets brought up people ask if he is Catholic or Mormon. LOL. I'm going to use this next time someone comments on my cats!

Yes, I get mocked for my cat collection so I completely understand how you feel. But it only takes a visit to my house for people to understand how well my animals are taken care of. Several people have commented that they would never even know I had cats in the house if they didn't actualy see them. We don't have cat hair everywhere and there is no smell. It's a ton of work for me but I wouldn't have it any other way. As far as the dogs I've never had more than two and I don't think I would want more than that. I think dogs are just as much work as my three kids. I think everyone has their personal limits. As long as the animals are properly taken care of and loved I don't care how many you have. Someone else posted that one pet is too much for some people and I totally agree. I know some people like that.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Sounds like a wonderful life

Thank you, I had a wicked childhood..full of great memories
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When they have to live in kennels 95% of the time
When you cannot afford to feed good high quality food because you have to feed so many
When you cannot spend time with each and every one every single day

When the quality of life is diminished due to the quantity of dogs in the household/kennel....

Some people confuse quantity with quality....breeding and having pups available most of the year is detrimental to the quality of life of the dogs....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think too many is when someone no longer enjoys them, but considers them a burden instead.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have 4 children, human children that is. When I lived in the suburbs and was asked the question, most people gasped! "Wow, FOUR KIDS?!" "Don't you find that alot of work?". Well, its not like they all landed on my doorstep at one time unexpected!!!.....
I have 8 siblings!

Quote:
The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

Perfect answer! LOL I wonder how many ponder that answer trying to actually figure out a connection.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Whenever someone tells me they have more than two kids, I tell them they are my hero, and that I wish I could've had more than two. Too many is in the eye of the beholder.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.