German Shepherds Forum banner

How many dogs is too many dogs?

4K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  rangersdad 
#1 ·
I have 4 children, human children that is. When I lived in the suburbs and was asked the question, most people gasped! "Wow, FOUR KIDS?!" "Don't you find that alot of work?". Well, its not like they all landed on my doorstep at one time unexpected!!! You would think I had an additional head growing off my shoulders, by the way they reacted! I have always had dogs as well. Usually more than two at one time. Some were fostered, which made the family even larger. Well, the reaction to THAT was like I had a 3rd head growing.

When I moved to dairy country with my family 14 years ago, I felt right at home. Most families out here have many children and the number "4" was not nearly as alien sounding. I live in a nice home, with nice furniture, and a few acres. I keep my home very clean and organized (some would say overly particular!). I am self employed in the health care field, have a strong client base, and drive a nice vehicle. Typical all Canadian woman. But I still have one of those extra heads growing off my shoulders! Why? Because I have dogs. What most people think is too many dogs. I often get the "Are they all in your house?" "My God, there must be so much hair!" "Doesn't your house smell?" "WHY would you want SOOOO many???" Then it eventually becomes mocking "Get any new dogs in the last week? Hahaha!" I'm even aware that I am gossiped about.

My question goes back to the title of this subject. A question I'm not even looking for an answer to. My dogs are well fed and loved. They are a part of my daily life. Some come to work with me, while others get the advantage of the bush walk every day. I keep their lives active and have very few, VERY few behavioural issues. Yes, there is the occasional K9 argument that is worked out quickly, but all are very content. I have a vet, but rarely have the need to visit. People who have MET my dogs often want to take them home. People who have met my dogs often consult me on behavioural issues with their own dogs (I am not an expert but through years of having lived with dogs and through trial and error, I learned a few things). After 2 minutes of being in my home, the excitement of the arrival of a visitor has subsided.

My children are mentally healthy and productive members of society. Three now on their own and two of them have their own dog. The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
In my opinion, if all the dogs are getting everything they need (including training, affection, exercise), then you don't have too many lol. This also means that you aren't putting yourself in a financially disastrous situation.

My uncle used to get looks like he was insane for having 11 dogs. He owns a 20 acre farm, and is VERY well-off financially. No children. The dogs work the farm and are his companions. All of them get everything they need/want. So for him, not too many dogs. My limit personally? Three. LOL!

#4 ·
ONE dog is too many for some people. Sounds like they have a good life-so as long as they are all getting the care they need and the love they need...........

#6 ·
Exactly! I choose to invest my time, love and finances into my dogs. That is my choice. May not be what another person would choose. But I do not stand in judgment of someone who spends numerous hours in their basement building their train collection and spending what others would consider to be a small fortune on a new caboose!

#5 ·
I used to get the same looks and my mom said I would eventually grow out of it(wanting so many and trying to save them all). She used to be just like me and everyone knows I got my love for animals from my mom. My house sounds just like yours(except I have one child, but my nieces and nephew are frequent visitors and stay for days at a time) My home does not feel like a home without the kids and dogs in it. I will always have dogs, multiple dogs. I have three now, but I can see myself with 5-6 with no problems.

#7 ·
I get the same reaction from my family... I have four dogs though no kids.

Mine get the best vet care and food, I have a big basket full of toys and they go everywhere we can take them, my life revolves around them. So who are they to judge?!

Well... ok I also have three cats, two bunnies, a parrot and fish. :p

#10 ·
I have a very dear friend that has too many dogs. You can chose to invest your own time, love and money into dogs but it may become a detriment to your own family. For example, when children are eating Kraft dinner while dogs have an elaborate diet that includes desert--it's a problem.
As Selzer said, I don't think that the number of dogs is really the issue. It's the amount of emotional energy and dependence that we foist upon our dogs.

#12 ·
I have two young children, 2 GSDs, 15 hens, and a cat. For me, my personal limit is two dogs. Obviously my human children come first and foremost in my life, no questions. But within the peking order of the animals we own, the dogs are at the top. The hens are fairly self sustaining and require little interaction from me. The cat is a complete jerk. But he lived here first so I owe him at least a decent home and food. lol

At two dogs, I feel like I can give them what they need, physically and mentally, and at the same time still (just about) keep a tidy house, cook good food for the family, etc. Any more than that, and I would really struggle, because I love my dogs and I think it would be too easy for me to get unbalanced in my life if I had more. But that is just me.

#13 ·
I have 3 gsds - 2 males and one female- they are a handful but well trained and behaved- a lot of work- house is cleaned twice a week- no freedom to travel - can not just have any dog walker come in- at times I wish I had none but then I would get a 4th if wife would say yes. I am retired and guess they are my hobby- 3 hours of attention per day.

#17 ·
I hate when people call me Arexa's mom, I am not a mom to anyone and especially not to my dog lol Dogs are pets and companions, not children.

As far as cleanliness goes I hate anyting on the floor or furniture... and as you know GSD's shed a lot so if you have a lots of dogs I would assume you clean most of your day in order to keep the house clean. I hate mess,can't stand it :) So 2 dogs would be a max for me :)

#18 ·
right now I have 3 dogs (1 gsd/2aussies) , 4 indoor cats, 9 chickens and some fish:)

At one point I had 4 gsd's, (no human kids), some would ask 'how can you handle all that?" it was actually not a problem, they all lived in the house, my house was clean, I was not cleaning 24/7 , they all ate good food/ did different things with different dogs..Sure I had some high vet bills at times, and most likely would be a monetarily rich person at this point if I didn't have a bunch of animals..But I would have missed out on some of the best memories of my life:)

The aussies are senior dogs, and some day they won't be here any more. I'm not a spring chicken but I'm not a "senior" myself yet. While I most likely won't have 3 dogs after these, I will always have atleast two and there will always be a german shepherd here..

#19 ·
I think it comes down to time and money... time to train and socialize... money for any unforeseen emergency... if you get a contagious illness requiring a vet visit and meds for each dog,, it can get real expensive. We have four... and to be honest, it makes everything a bit harder. I have to find time to get with each dog on an individual basis for training. We had a bout of kennel cough that cost a few dimes. I am actually a bit fearful of something more serious costing a lot more money. All dogs behave better alone than in packs. My wife complains constantly about hair and "dog smell"
It definitely adds stress to the family.... but we love them with all our hearts.

#21 · (Edited)
I have 4 children, human children that is. When I lived in the suburbs and was asked the question, most people gasped! "Wow, FOUR KIDS?!" "Don't you find that alot of work?". Well, its not like they all landed on my doorstep at one time unexpected!!! You would think I had an additional head growing off my shoulders, by the way they reacted! I have always had dogs as well. Usually more than two at one time. Some were fostered, which made the family even larger. Well, the reaction to THAT was like I had a 3rd head growing.

When I moved to dairy country with my family 14 years ago, I felt right at home. Most families out here have many children and the number "4" was not nearly as alien sounding. I live in a nice home, with nice furniture, and a few acres. I keep my home very clean and organized (some would say overly particular!). I am self employed in the health care field, have a strong client base, and drive a nice vehicle. Typical all Canadian woman. But I still have one of those extra heads growing off my shoulders! Why? Because I have dogs. What most people think is too many dogs. I often get the "Are they all in your house?" "My God, there must be so much hair!" "Doesn't your house smell?" "WHY would you want SOOOO many???" Then it eventually becomes mocking "Get any new dogs in the last week? Hahaha!" I'm even aware that I am gossiped about.

My question goes back to the title of this subject. A question I'm not even looking for an answer to. My dogs are well fed and loved. They are a part of my daily life. Some come to work with me, while others get the advantage of the bush walk every day. I keep their lives active and have very few, VERY few behavioural issues. Yes, there is the occasional K9 argument that is worked out quickly, but all are very content. I have a vet, but rarely have the need to visit. People who have MET my dogs often want to take them home. People who have met my dogs often consult me on behavioural issues with their own dogs (I am not an expert but through years of having lived with dogs and through trial and error, I learned a few things). After 2 minutes of being in my home, the excitement of the arrival of a visitor has subsided.

My children are mentally healthy and productive members of society. Three now on their own and two of them have their own dog. The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

I myself have always lived growing up with more than one dog..my parents always had 2-4 labrador retrievers in the house and I'm the youngest of 8. My parents are not catholics but thats what most people say when they hear I have 7 other sibling.."are your parents cathothic?!" Nope...they love kids and have a love for dogs/animals as well. I suppose it helps that my father has worked as a small animal vet for the past 35 yrs too though and he grew up with Labs..My parents own a nice country property of about 105acres. Used to have about 100 sheep as a hobby and my parents did that for about 12 years before sheep and wool prices went down. and I've always had a love of horses so we have a few of them too as well as a pony and 3 mini donkeys and some barn cats..As soon as I moved out I got my GSD which I've always wanted from a young age. I think the more animals you have the merrier :). So long as you can provide well and care for all of them of course.

#23 ·
I myself have always lived growing up with more than one dog..my parents always had 2-4 labrador retrievers in the house and I'm the youngest of 8. ...... I think the more animals you have the merrier :). So long as you can provide well and care for all of them of course.
Sounds like a wonderful life :)

#24 ·

That's funny! I come from a family of four girls - each of us are at least a year apart. My mom would say the same thing. Although we only had one dog at a time growing up, we did have horses as well. IMO - the critters help build a strong foundation with us sisters. We are all animal lovers and have a great deal of compasion towards others.

#25 ·
The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

That is hilarious! My husband is one of 16 kids and whenever that gets brought up people ask if he is Catholic or Mormon. LOL. I'm going to use this next time someone comments on my cats!

Yes, I get mocked for my cat collection so I completely understand how you feel. But it only takes a visit to my house for people to understand how well my animals are taken care of. Several people have commented that they would never even know I had cats in the house if they didn't actualy see them. We don't have cat hair everywhere and there is no smell. It's a ton of work for me but I wouldn't have it any other way. As far as the dogs I've never had more than two and I don't think I would want more than that. I think dogs are just as much work as my three kids. I think everyone has their personal limits. As long as the animals are properly taken care of and loved I don't care how many you have. Someone else posted that one pet is too much for some people and I totally agree. I know some people like that.

#27 ·
When they have to live in kennels 95% of the time
When you cannot afford to feed good high quality food because you have to feed so many
When you cannot spend time with each and every one every single day

When the quality of life is diminished due to the quantity of dogs in the household/kennel....

Some people confuse quantity with quality....breeding and having pups available most of the year is detrimental to the quality of life of the dogs....

Lee

#29 ·
I have 4 children, human children that is. When I lived in the suburbs and was asked the question, most people gasped! "Wow, FOUR KIDS?!" "Don't you find that alot of work?". Well, its not like they all landed on my doorstep at one time unexpected!!!.....
I have 8 siblings!

The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

Perfect answer! LOL I wonder how many ponder that answer trying to actually figure out a connection.:laugh:

#31 ·
For us, too many is 3. Yes, we have three right now (hence the screen name) but when we've lost one, we will not get another. I'll never had 3 dogs again.

#36 ·
"Too many" is when you are not giving them each the care and attention they need. Some people cannot seem to give a single dog the right amount of attention, some can handle 30 and keep them physically and mentally healthy.

For me.. Three is about all I can handle right now. If I didn't work, and had all day to spend on them, I think I could do around ten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.