German Shepherds Forum banner

How many dogs is too many dogs?

4K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  rangersdad 
#1 ·
I have 4 children, human children that is. When I lived in the suburbs and was asked the question, most people gasped! "Wow, FOUR KIDS?!" "Don't you find that alot of work?". Well, its not like they all landed on my doorstep at one time unexpected!!! You would think I had an additional head growing off my shoulders, by the way they reacted! I have always had dogs as well. Usually more than two at one time. Some were fostered, which made the family even larger. Well, the reaction to THAT was like I had a 3rd head growing.

When I moved to dairy country with my family 14 years ago, I felt right at home. Most families out here have many children and the number "4" was not nearly as alien sounding. I live in a nice home, with nice furniture, and a few acres. I keep my home very clean and organized (some would say overly particular!). I am self employed in the health care field, have a strong client base, and drive a nice vehicle. Typical all Canadian woman. But I still have one of those extra heads growing off my shoulders! Why? Because I have dogs. What most people think is too many dogs. I often get the "Are they all in your house?" "My God, there must be so much hair!" "Doesn't your house smell?" "WHY would you want SOOOO many???" Then it eventually becomes mocking "Get any new dogs in the last week? Hahaha!" I'm even aware that I am gossiped about.

My question goes back to the title of this subject. A question I'm not even looking for an answer to. My dogs are well fed and loved. They are a part of my daily life. Some come to work with me, while others get the advantage of the bush walk every day. I keep their lives active and have very few, VERY few behavioural issues. Yes, there is the occasional K9 argument that is worked out quickly, but all are very content. I have a vet, but rarely have the need to visit. People who have MET my dogs often want to take them home. People who have met my dogs often consult me on behavioural issues with their own dogs (I am not an expert but through years of having lived with dogs and through trial and error, I learned a few things). After 2 minutes of being in my home, the excitement of the arrival of a visitor has subsided.

My children are mentally healthy and productive members of society. Three now on their own and two of them have their own dog. The last person who asked me why I have so many dogs was silenced by my answer.... "I'm Catholic"

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#37 ·
2 shepherds is as many as I can handle. However, I get LOTS of comments on my parrots. We've told people we have 3 human kids, and 6 winged kids. Once you've got a couple of parrots, adding more isn't much more work. So I know how you feel. :eek:

#38 ·
I agree that 'the right number' is as many as you can care for financially as well as attention wise. We've had up to 9 dogs here,and while they were taken care of very well, it was quite hectic meeting the physical/mental needs of them all. Now have our two dogs and 3 fosters,five dogs total is an ideal number for us.We won't be taking anymore fosters in until we can get 1 or 2 adopted.

#39 ·
My friend with too many dogs doesn't have money for her own meds and her family eats very poorly while her dogs have multiple vets and various therapies. There is no reasoning with her. She became very upset when a repairman asked her to remove the dogs from the room in which he was working. She said that the house is more for the dogs than it is for her. It's a real concern for me as I love her dearly and I'm very worried that she will lose her home. She lost a great deal of seasonal work because she felt compelled to take on a special needs dog who needed rescue. While the rescue org paid the bills, my friend devoted a lot of time to the dog and missed her income goals

Her dogs are lovely and have a great life but she goes without and that doesn't seem right.

#40 ·
One lady from my dogs puppy class said she has 10 dogs... The other we were discussing kibble she said all her dogs get Pedigree, couple of weeks later I saw her at the vet and she said that she goes there every week, she works for a vet so I guess she gets privileges. But pedigree seriously :( that's why people shouldn't have so many dogs. Also recently on the news close to me the lady had like 50 chihuahuas because she couldn't afford to spay/ neuter until animal control got a hold of them... It's not ok to have dogs and not take care of them properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#41 ·
Honestly, I was feeding Pedigree as a back up because all of mine did fantastic on it.

Yeah, it's not the greatest brand of food, but one of mine used to be very picky about food and if I couldn't get my general brand, I used to get Pedigree instead because I knew they did really well on it.

I no longer follow the craze of "My gosh, how do you NOT feed something grainfree and super-expensive."

I feed what the dogs like and actually eat. My picky eater wouldn't eat BB and feeding 4 ( well, 3 now... )dogs TOTW, BB, Orijen, etc. is busting your bankaccount.

Generally, I'm feeding Diamond (yes, I know the re-calls) but I have not had any issues with them, they are a decent food brand and actually affordable.

#42 ·
My schutzhund trainer said he has 13 dogs!!!!!
He said he spends 4-6hrs a day, every day, training his personal dogs on top of training other people's dogs for a living!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.