How many dogs is too many dogs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
2 is ok to keep each other company, but 3 and up is too much assuming you like your house clean
Depends on your definition of clean. I have had 5 dogs at one time and currently have 3.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

I have two young children, 2 GSDs, 15 hens, and a cat. For me, my personal limit is two dogs. Obviously my human children come first and foremost in my life, no questions. But within the peking order of the animals we own, the dogs are at the top. The hens are fairly self sustaining and require little interaction from me. The cat is a complete jerk. But he lived here first so I owe him at least a decent home and food. lol

At two dogs, I feel like I can give them what they need, physically and mentally, and at the same time still (just about) keep a tidy house, cook good food for the family, etc. Any more than that, and I would really struggle, because I love my dogs and I think it would be too easy for me to get unbalanced in my life if I had more. But that is just me.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have 3 gsds - 2 males and one female- they are a handful but well trained and behaved- a lot of work- house is cleaned twice a week- no freedom to travel - can not just have any dog walker come in- at times I wish I had none but then I would get a 4th if wife would say yes. I am retired and guess they are my hobby- 3 hours of attention per day.
armauro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

It is kind of sad when someone has to specify they have four human children because these days you just don't know whether people talk about human or dog children.

That is why my dogs will be my dogs and not "children" because children are human, period!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
It is kind of sad when someone has to specify they have four human children because these days you just don't know whether people talk about human or dog children.

That is why my dogs will be my dogs and not "children" because children are human, period!
Haha! You are so right. I love my dogs to pieces and they've been such a great addition to our lives. But at the end of the day, they are dogs.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post

Well my dogs will be the closest thing I will ever have to children, not that I can't physically have them but my husband doesn't want them. They are more then just "dogs" to me, though I do treat them like dogs not little humans.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I hate when people call me Arexa's mom, I am not a mom to anyone and especially not to my dog lol Dogs are pets and companions, not children.

As far as cleanliness goes I hate anyting on the floor or furniture... and as you know GSD's shed a lot so if you have a lots of dogs I would assume you clean most of your day in order to keep the house clean. I hate mess,can't stand it So 2 dogs would be a max for me
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

right now I have 3 dogs (1 gsd/2aussies) , 4 indoor cats, 9 chickens and some fish

At one point I had 4 gsd's, (no human kids), some would ask 'how can you handle all that?" it was actually not a problem, they all lived in the house, my house was clean, I was not cleaning 24/7 , they all ate good food/ did different things with different dogs..Sure I had some high vet bills at times, and most likely would be a monetarily rich person at this point if I didn't have a bunch of animals..But I would have missed out on some of the best memories of my life

The aussies are senior dogs, and some day they won't be here any more. I'm not a spring chicken but I'm not a "senior" myself yet. While I most likely won't have 3 dogs after these, I will always have atleast two and there will always be a german shepherd here..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think it comes down to time and money... time to train and socialize... money for any unforeseen emergency... if you get a contagious illness requiring a vet visit and meds for each dog,, it can get real expensive. We have four... and to be honest, it makes everything a bit harder. I have to find time to get with each dog on an individual basis for training. We had a bout of kennel cough that cost a few dimes. I am actually a bit fearful of something more serious costing a lot more money. All dogs behave better alone than in packs. My wife complains constantly about hair and "dog smell"
It definitely adds stress to the family.... but we love them with all our hearts.
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

For me I like to have 2 dogs. Ruki is an only right now because our other dog died, but I would love to get a second eventually. Right now I need to get Ruki trained better before I add any more pets.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.