Some people make me so mad - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Some people make me so mad

I really hate to complain/rant, but last night during our nightly walk a lady walking her small dogs (Yorkies or something, I don't care to remember) approached Bear and I. Since Bear is very friendly and I get lots of requests to pet him I thought this was going to be the case again.

Wrong.

This lady, whom I have never met or seen before, came up to me and first started asking me questions. It started off nice enough until she got crazy. She was literally raising her voice at me telling me that I was not equipped to have such an aggressive breed, I didn't know how to handle it, and that I was asking for trouble by bringing him out in public. Meanwhile, Bear was in a sit next to me while her small dogs were barking and trying to snap at him and the lady was blaming Bear for riling her dogs up.

Now, I have a pretty thick skin but some of the things this lady was saying were uneducated and downright mean and unnecessary. I am fully aware that I don't live in the nicest neighborhood, but being 5'11" with a large build and walking a large dog normally make me feeling safer walking at night (that, along with pepper spray).

Has anything like this happened to you? If so, how did you handle it? I just ended up walking away without saying a word while she was still in a full swing rage.

Shelby, GSD. RIP 1996-2010

Last edited by Alsatian_MaMa; 01-09-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Alsatian_MaMa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Never happened to me, but that lady was one uneducated and hypocritical lady. She needs a reality check on her dogs behavior. I don't think I would consider a GSD an aggressive breed. I would consider most ssmall breeds to be aggressive. I haven't met but maybe two small dogs that are well behaved. But that's most likely owner error. All the large dogs I encounter are typically fairly well behaved.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm 5'6.5", 18 yrs old, and only weigh 100 lbs (I was 90 until Matt made me gain some weight because he was concerned for my health). Koda is only 62.8 lbs (last time I weighed her). But this happens to me often.
Once I had an older woman walk by me at the park, while Koda was in a perfect heel as always. The woman immediately yelled at me that I didn't need to have a big, mean dog in a public area and I needed to leave. I simply stopped moving, turned to her and stared at her. Didn't say anything. Koda sat down beside me but lowered her head so she looked bigger. The woman left.
Another time I had Koda walking and a man with four small dogs on flexi-leads. All of them were at Koda's heals nipping her. She kept her eyes on me, and was literally up against my legs. Yet he screamed at me about endangering his dogs. I told him to get his dogs before I did, he did nothing. So I MADE them leave her alone then continued walking.
I also had a situation where a loose mastiff attacked Koda while she was a pup. I kicked the dog in the face many times, and the owner immediately came after me for it. I didn't back off at all, being the defiant person I am, and called AC on his idiot dog.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe I would of told her own dogs were out of control but you took the high road and walked away, and that's a good thing. Don't let what a crazy person tells you bother you. Just keep on enjoying your dog, some people are clueless.
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

When Shelby was only 10 weeks old, a woman in my neighborhood walked by us on a walk and without making eye contact with me said "that type of dog should be banned just like pit bulls". I was in complete shock but decided not to respond. She is an older woman and was walking her own dog which is a Chow. I figure maybe shes had a bad experience with GSDs. I do still make a point to say hello every time I see her in the neighborhood. Kill them with kindness! Makes me even more motivated to prove her wrong by training Shelby to be on her best behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
ShelbyCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have to agree about the small breeds (for the most part, there are always exceptions) being little jerks. They are allowed to get away with too many things and end up essentially ruling the house due to biting, growling, and overall just being a pain in the a** to deal with. I've seen this with some of my friends dogs. They just let the dog do it for one reason or another, but if a large dog was able to get away with half of that, the world would end and that would be dangerous.

I guess i just have to come to the reality that not everyone can be a sane, educated, and polite person haha

Shelby, GSD. RIP 1996-2010
Alsatian_MaMa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsatian_MaMa View Post
I have to agree about the small breeds (for the most part, there are always exceptions) being little jerks. They are allowed to get away with too many things and end up essentially ruling the house due to biting, growling, and overall just being a pain in the a** to deal with. I've seen this with some of my friends dogs. They just let the dog do it for one reason or another, but if a large dog was able to get away with half of that, the world would end and that would be dangerous.

I guess i just have to come to the reality that not everyone can be a sane, educated, and polite person haha
I see this even moreso at the dog park. A small dog will charge and attack big dogs, and everyone thinks it's cute or funny. If my girl so much as bared a tooth at that small dog for biting her, she would be deemed a monster. You learn to brush it off. Though I have a big mouth and bad attitude when it comes to my dog sooo...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You guys need to start having a sense of humor about these people. Next time, bare your teeth and growl at her. If you can manage to get just a little spit on your lip while you do it, I bet she never comes near you again.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
You guys need to start having a sense of humor about these people. Next time, bare your teeth and growl at her. If you can manage to get just a little spit on your lip while you do it, I bet she never comes near you again.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Irritable hag.

But I would be interested in knowing the types of questions she was asking before she got crazy, and what exactly she said when she did get crazy so we can pick her apart properly.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.