If you ever thought your own dog would never bite you... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Situations like this don't count. They aren't the dog's fault at all. The dog is terrified for good reason. I don't hold anything like that against a dog. Sometimes you have a dog that is in pain and hurting and it doesn't bite. And that is wonderful, but it really doesn't make a dog that does bite any worse.

When Frodo was hit by a car, I knew he was hurt bad. I broke a crate in two and had him walk into the bottom, and my neighbor's boy took one end and I took the other end and we carried the crate to his chevette hatch back. The whole time the dog's head was right next to this kid's head. But we needed to get the dog to the vet, and I was praying the whole time that he would not bite him.

My brother's dog got hit by a car and it dislocated her hip. He picked her up and she lay his face open. He says she is the best dog he has ever had. He did not hold that against her at all. I think that my method of moving the dog had something to do with why he did not bite, though.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Definitely not a situation where the dog is biting YOU... I think it's safe to safe your dog would never intentionally bite your hubby. Animals lose sense of everything when they are in pain, and they simply react in defense... nothing to do with you guys, so don't think too hard on it.

So glad Hex is okay!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree this is not a circumstance where it "counts." A totally shocked fear reaction bite from a life or death (to a dog) situation is not to be unexpected! Dogs in these situations I don't think really comprehend what they are doing--they are just lashing out from panic, fear, and pain!
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Definitely not a situation where the dog is biting YOU... I think it's safe to safe your dog would never intentionally bite your hubby. Animals lose sense of everything when they are in pain, and they simply react in defense... nothing to do with you guys, so don't think too hard on it.
Oh please don't think I'm holding it against Hex that he bit - I know he just reacted out of fear and pain (so does DH he was not angry or upset at all)
Hex would never usually bite us and even in that situation I think he controlled himself quite well (he could have done a lot of damage had he wanted too)

It's totally different from a dog viciously biting a person. The dog is still biting YOU (as in your body) but not out of aggressiveness or anything like that - but he will still do damage to YOU (that's what I meant by the topic heading)

I only posted it to make people aware that their own dog MAY hurt them like this under extreme circumstance, maybe it will stop someone getting really badly hurt.
Us humans just tend to react in those emergencies too as there's often just no time to "do the right thing"

My first dog grabbed my arm quite hard when I was trying to get her out of the start of a dog fight - she just spun around and grabbed - then her eyes went wide with an "omg that's mum" kinda look and she let go straight away.

Sounds like a few of you had some way worse experiences - urgh reading that collar story made me shudder
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I think that my method of moving the dog had something to do with why he did not bite, though.
I recon you're spot on there - he walked into the crate by himself and didn't feel trapped or got hurt worse by being picked up. That was quick thinking on your part!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Whenever I've have a feeling I may be bitten I would try to cover the dogs face with a towel, blanket or whatever you can grab(this comes from handling parrots).
If they can't see, and can't bite, or latch on to the towel,it makes doing what you have to do a bit easier.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Well guess I'm one of those people that always thought - my dog would dnever bite me never mind what situation he was in.
Guess I'm going to reconsider that. Hex bit my DH on xmas eve (not really badly, he didn't break skin)

it was one of those really silly accidents that you just can't predict.
Hex was outside the front door on the porch eating his breakfast and mojo was inside with me. All of a sudden hex starts screaming at the top of his voice - my first thought was "he's got his nose or foot stuck trying to open the door."
So i rush over and open the door, and mojo runs over and starts having a go at Hex who's still screaming (this all happened in about 3 seconds) I didn't see if he snapped at her or she snapped at him, they don't usually fight.
So I grabbed Mojo around the neck and held her away from Hex while trying to see what on earth had happened.
DH jumped out the door to see to Hex. I finally managed to shove Mojo inside and get outside myself. Hex had stopped screaming at that stage. But DH was sitting there looking shocked holding his forearm which was already coming up in a massive bruised welt.

Hex had stood on a loose floor board on the porch (yay for cheap rental properties) and his foot had gone through and gotten pinched/stuck. DH realised after he checked Hex's tail first at which stage Hex spun around and bit him.
He punched the floor board and managed to bend it enough to get the dogs leg out. (This is a guy who until 3 years ago was terrified of dogs )
There was no time to go get a muzzle or any of those things that always sound so sensible when you talk about them at a seminar
But now the floor boards have been replaced and the whole front porch is covered with a rubber stall mat as it's the dogs favourite place to sleep.
Hex is fine and DH was very proud to show off his bruise on xmas day LOL he's all good again too.
But yeah just goes to show that your dog when panicking may just not react the same as what you'd expect.

Just at the heck did you expect from a dog? he was in heavy pain and wasn't thinking and your H just no doubt got in the way or maybe your pooch just felt too much pain.

Even at that, it was a defensive/reaction bite- by no means an attack bite. Or would you think that your guy is so weak that his bite can't puncture human skin?

C'mon give the poor dog a break - it certainly doesn't mean that he is in danger from your dog.

BTW, you can wrap a towel or other cloth around their muzzle next time!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

My major bit me once when he was being aggressive with the neighbors dog through the fence.

I corrected him and let him know that he was wrong and he has never done it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
GSD LVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Codmaster maybe you should read my posts properly, you took everything I wrote totally out of context

I never said Hex attacked - just that he bit out out of a fear/pain reaction
I also said he was quite restrained in his bite, he could have done a lot more damage
(I'm well aware of the damage a dog can do having owned a very dog aggressive dog in the past)
I also NEVER blamed the dog or said that either of us was in danger from him

I just wanted to share a story with people and show how even the friendliest dog can hurt a person when it's hurt and to perhaps get some good ideas on how to handle that sort of thing next time.
Like your and Onyx's comment about using a towel - I will definitely remember that for future reference.

Last edited by Mooch; 01-03-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Codmaster maybe you should read my posts properly, you took everything I wrote totally out of context

You mean that I should know what you meant! Not what you said?
If you meant something different than that - maybe you could please explain "properly" - what do you really mean by that word this time?

I never said Hex attacked - just that he bit out out of a fear/pain reaction
I also said he was quite restrained in his bite, he could have done a lot more damage
(I'm well aware of the damage a dog can do having owned a very dog aggressive dog in the past)
I also NEVER blamed the dog or said that either of us was in danger from him

I just wanted to share a story with people and show how even the friendliest dog can hurt a person when it's hurt and to perhaps get some good ideas on how to handle that sort of thing next time.
Like your and Onyx's comment about using a towel - I will definitely remember that for future reference.
That is great!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.