Down in the dumps..... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm glad you're feeling better.

I think you're closer than you realize. You just had a meltdown. Been there, done that, myself.

Work on a solid leave it and recall. Don't let up. Do it every day. Don't forget, Leave it also shows authority. She needs to know this.

You'll be fine, and so will Stella. She's just a GSD.. And the more I look around, the more I see that she's more the norm, then we think.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am feeling much better after a few successful leave its when seeing another dog. I am trying to avoid dogs but obviously it doesn't always work In between 2 training classes today I took Stella for a walk in a wooded area. I never see anyone back there. I let her off leash for a bit and just let her run back and forth. Of course....you guessed it....other dog off leash. She started barking, as did the other dog. I started running in the opposite direction after yelling leave it. She looked confused...dog???mom???dog???mom??? Then I yelled "goodbye Stella" and she came running back Kept on walking. Of course Stella was on high alert but calmed down after a couple of leave it commands. As we got to the end of the trail, we saw that it wasn't just 1 loose dog....there were 5 of them with 1 person!!!! So glad she choose "mom" instead of "dogS"

Question.....what do you do if a dog is charging? We had a minor charge during class today. (and Stella did NOT initiate it) A dog that was not being held on a leash decided to come barking towards Stella. Stella was being held on a leash by me. She had been laying down. Of course she jumped up and barked back. The 2 of them had a bark at each other time until the other dog decided to listen to the "come" command her owner gave her. What would have been the best thing for me to do?
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

GOod job Stella! I have done that before with my aussie, who'd chase a bird to china if I let her..I just yell, BYE I'm going for a RIDE IN THE CAR!

Second question, that scenerio is something that tick me off I realize accidents happen, but keep the dog on a leash (other person ...

Hard to say "how" to react..Masi and I were in a class where she was charged/barked at, picked on by bigger dogs,,that class lasted two times for me, and I yanked her out of it, cause the trainer was a freaking idiot who allowed alot of inappropriate behavior to take place.

In your situation, I most likely would have stood up and walked stella in the opposite direction,,(come on let's go) but things happen so fast sometimes you have no time to react

It was totally normal of her to jump up and bark back,,

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yea...I wasn't mad at her for barking back. Just wondering if I should have corrected her for barking. I don't really think she did anything wrong. But I do think she should stop when I say leave it. And it happened so fast. I don't know why that dog decided to run toward Stella. She was looking around but not in that intense stare down way.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

I don't post much but I just wanted to comment because i feel for you...

Try not to project your expectations onto your dog and get down when she doesn't have the personality you love... we all love that idea of the perfect dog who behaves perfectly in every situation.. but sometimes it just isn't that way. They each have their own unique personalities.

Love your dog for who she is and try to support and help her grow. Every dog will be different and you will be able to have a FANTASTIC loving bond and relationship with your dog.

Sure, set goals for her and try to help her grow, but just because she was a bit timid around two other dogs is no reason to get down. Let her be who she is and don't put that pressure on her or yourself, and you will become a better trainer.
allryuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yup...Stella is a bit afraid of strange dogs. I guess she doesn't have the best nerves. Don't know why...she used to play with other dogs. But she is who she is. I am going to try my best to build her confidence around other dogs. And to stop once and for all her reactivity. One trainer described it as the "I'll be a jerk before you are a jerk" syndrome. We had a bunch of good days this week. Have been avoiding other dogs for now as best we can. Gave up going on a nice hike with a bunch of ladies tomorrow because another dog is going. Might have been ok but there will be other hikes...
Spoke to trainer about e collar....finally understand how to use it. She is getting much better with the "leave it" command in the yard when she starts barking at the neighbors animals, and just in general. Got her prong collar resized, (it was too tight) and am feeling so much better about walking her.
My immediate goals are 1. better focus 2. dependable "leave it" and 3. dependable recall (which trainer is going to work with me next time in how to use the e collar for that)
And if that isn't enough, we'll throw in some fun commands that she has been working on....back, weaving through my legs, crawling, rolling and doing some other "dance" moves.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.