Haven't Seen Teddy for 3 Weeks - In Hospital - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Haven't Seen Teddy for 3 Weeks - In Hospital

Although I really don't want to get into all my own health woes, I have been diagnosed with cancer (very treatable), but, of course, I was one of those statistics that developed complications and have been hospitalized for 3 weeks instead of 3 days.

I will see my soon-to-be one year old Teddy tomorrow for the first time when I finally get to leave this hospital. I can't tell you all how much I have missed her. Unfortunately, due to surgeries, etc., I am in rather fragile condition, and I know that she's going to be nuts when she sees me. I figure that she's going to have to be crated when in the same room with me for the first couple of days, and I don't think we can be alone together for a while.

I've always let her do things to me (paw me, lick me, flop her front paws across my legs when I'm sitting on the furniture, etc.) that I would never let her do to others, but I can see where this is going to be a problem, now. As you might imagine, she's had little exercise and training lately - probably the last five or six weeks.

Any suggestions on how to reintegrate her back into my space?

And your prayers would be greatly appreciated, too.

Last edited by Jo_in_TX; 12-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Jo_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't know what to say about controlling your dog than have her crated or kept out of the house until you are comfortable in your bed so you won't get knocked down. Hoping she will be intuitive enough to behave properly around you.

I've already said a prayer, and will continue to hope that you will be one of those miraculous statistics for full, speedy recovery.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I hope the cancer goes away and stays away... As for your baby she may sense that you are in a fragile state... Some dogs understand that. If you have someone there with you maybe keep her on a leash and have them keep her closer to them so see how she will act... When I was pregnant my chihuahua would lay next to my tummy, and when I had my son he would lay next to him and between his legs. I realise the size difference but German shepherds seem to be more in touch with their senses.. I hope she understands..

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Prayers for health and healing..other than crating or having her leashed very close to you..
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

She's pretty calm, and hubby and teens tell me that she is behaving very well at home. I just think she's going to go crazy when she sees me.

We've put a crate right next to my bed so she can nap and visit with me in the crate. And I'm thinking I will have my first contact with her while sitting at the kitchen table where I will be quite protected by the table, the arm chair, and others sitting around me.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree that you should be cautious with her at first because she might be overexcited. But it IS sometimes remarkable how a dog or cat can KNOW when you are not well and how they modify their behavior accordingly. She's still a pup, though, so the thrill of seeing you again might override intelligence.

Please do get well. I'm sure your dog's love and devotion will make you heal even faster.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sending all good thoughts to you for a swift and uncomplicated recovery!

Hopefully Teddy will sense your fragile condition but in case she doesn't I'd have treats handy and reward all of the behaviors you want so that she learns what she needs to do to get attention from you.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Prayers to you Jo.. wishing you a perminent speedy recovery
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sending lots of prayers your way. You might be surprised at how she handles seeing you and being around you. When my mom got ill(wheel chair/hospital bed) my Robyn(GSD) was only 8 months, but it was like she knew. She was very gentle with my mom and normally she's very excited and all over the place when she sees any family. Let us know how it goes.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My thoughts and prayers are w/ you Jo. I have to agree I think when your sick they sense it . Your plan for using the table and armchair sound like a good plan. When a family member was ill her Rottie would put his front paws on the bed and hold there so she could pet him. He was a bundle of energy otherwise but really was gentle during the entire time. Take care and glad your home for the holidays.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.