Crazy Phone Call-Think I Did The Wrong Thing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Crazy Phone Call-Think I Did The Wrong Thing

It's not even 7 am and I've already gotten a crazy phone call,dog related of course. A woman that adopted one of my dogs last year called me franctic, saying that her husband was going to cut a tumor out of his 4 year old Australian Shepherd because he's not happy with was the vet said. I thought it was some kind of 'joke' if you want to call it that.As I talked to this woman I could hear that somehting was wrong.

Fast forward a little bit, I get to their house and see the husband cutting into a huge tumor on this dog's stomach. They said that they've spent over $2000 and the vet still doesn't know what treatment options to use. I was able to see the paperwork,as proof that they did go to the vet. The wife said this dog has a very gentle temperament and will let you do anything to her,even if she is in pain.

This is a weird situation because both of them take great care of their dogs and I've seen how happy the dog they adopted from me is. The issue is that,the husband seems to love the dog to a fault almost. Wife says that he doesn't believe in putting animals down who are suffering.

I did offer some numbers for other vets and even told them about some options they have if they can't afford the treatment themselves. The wife was very receptive,but her husband wasn't at all. He told me that 'if he didn't love his dog he wouldn't be doing this'. He had gauze and a bunch of other tools on a white sheet. He told me that he was sterilizing the knife with chlorox. I make him stop cutting her when I got there. This man was crying as he was cutting the tumors and was even talking to her.

I decided to bring the dog they adopted from me back home when I left. I was going to give them the chance to take the Australian Shepherd in to a vet before I called authorities,but I just felt like I had to go ahead and make the call.

I wouldn't say these people are bad owners. I mean I've run into them when they were at different parks and they always had the dogs with them or they would send me pictures/video updates.

I don't have too many situations in where I have to remove a dog from their home,but when I do it is very cut and dry. In this case though it's confusing even to me because this couple takes great care of their pets in general. I may be wrong,but I don't understand how performing surgery on your dog is a type of love.

I'm going back to bed now.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would have removed the dog they adopted right away and yes I would report it and have them charged with animal cruelty. Doing surgery on your dog because you can't afford the vet bill is a very poor excuse, the dog could easily have died from blood loss, infection, or other complications

What they did was not love, there were other options available. Payment plans for one, even contacting you or other rescues for help!

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

ok, what do you say after they cut a tumor on their dog? was the
dog anesthetized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
It's not even 7 am and I've already gotten a crazy phone call,dog related of course. A woman that adopted one of my dogs last year called me franctic, saying that her husband was going to cut a tumor out of his 4 year old Australian Shepherd because he's not happy with was the vet said. I thought it was some kind of 'joke' if you want to call it that.As I talked to this woman I could hear that somehting was wrong.

Fast forward a little bit, I get to their house and see the husband cutting into a huge tumor on this dog's stomach. They said that they've spent over $2000 and the vet still doesn't know what treatment options to use. I was able to see the paperwork,as proof that they did go to the vet. The wife said this dog has a very gentle temperament and will let you do anything to her,even if she is in pain.

This is a weird situation because both of them take great care of their dogs and I've seen how happy the dog they adopted from me is. The issue is that,the husband seems to love the dog to a fault almost. Wife says that he doesn't believe in putting animals down who are suffering.

I did offer some numbers for other vets and even told them about some options they have if they can't afford the treatment themselves. The wife was very receptive,but her husband wasn't at all. He told me that 'if he didn't love his dog he wouldn't be doing this'. He had gauze and a bunch of other tools on a white sheet. He told me that he was sterilizing the knife with chlorox. I make him stop cutting her when I got there. This man was crying as he was cutting the tumors and was even talking to her.

I decided to bring the dog they adopted from me back home when I left. I was going to give them the chance to take the Australian Shepherd in to a vet before I called authorities,but I just felt like I had to go ahead and make the call.

>>>>I wouldn't say these people are bad owners.<<<<

I mean I've run into them when they were at different parks and they always had the dogs with them or they would send me pictures/video updates.

I don't have too many situations in where I have to remove a dog from their home,but when I do it is very cut and dry. In this case though it's confusing even to me because this couple takes great care of their pets in general. I may be wrong,but I don't understand how performing surgery on your dog is a type of love.

I'm going back to bed now.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

If that man wasnt a vet or even a reg. doctor, then yea, I would consider him a BAD owner! I do alot of tinkering and wrenching on vehicles, but doing surgery on ramsey? I think NOT!

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

It sounds like the emotional stress of it all made him a little unstable and not rational. Does that make him a bad owner, NO IT DOESNT. But it also doesnt mean he is currently emotional stable to care for an animal. You did the right thing by taking him
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

I hope they don't have any human children!
Ponypip123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just have to ask, not that either way is ok...was this some kind of a tumor hanging off the dog that he was going to clip or an internal tumor and he was making an incision. I just can't fathom this.
ksotto333 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wow...if that was a mast cell and he did that then he may have seeded her whole body with them...which will kill her quickly. Or it could be a tumor with blood vessels attached and she could bleed extensively. I would definitely call the authorities on this. I probably would have called the authorities on the spot if he refused to take the dog to a vet immediately to fix what he started.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just read my title and I meant that I think I did the right thing. I called the authorities when I got in the car,and I think he knew that I was going to call anyway because he said ' I know will call the police,but I don't care. I have to fix her.' Our animal control is closed on the weekends and the only way for them to be dispatched out is to call the police.I still had to stay there because I was involved at this point.

The tumor was hanging off of her lower stomach and she was fully awake while he was doing this. I couldn't believe a dog would just lie that still while something was happening to them like that. I don't know if it was because she was naturally that mellow or if it was because of her current condition.

I am waiting for a call back from the animal hospital to see how she is .
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow. He sounds emotionally unstable for sure. Thank god the wife called u.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.