Crazy Phone Call-Think I Did The Wrong Thing - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
The dog I placed with them was already brought back home with me. According to him,he wasn't happy with the answer the vet gave him as far as a plan to treat. I told him that he could have gone to another vet for another opinion.
GOOD ... glad you have the dog in your care!!!

Did the guy tell you what the vet did for their $2,000 after they rejected the recommened treatment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He didn't say,but according to the paperwork I saw,there was the initial vist/diagnosis/biopsy which totaled $470.

The remainder was for the beginning course of treatments.The wife said he insisted on stopping the treatments because he wasn't happy. I didn't get the whole story because they were both talking in circles and I became more concerned with the dog on the floor and my dog they adopted from me,who was oblivious to the whole thing as he sleep on his orthopedic bed.The whole situation was weird considering that they appear to be nice people.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #33 (permalink)

Wow this is just so sad and what a crazy day for you. And the poor dog you had to take back must be kind of stressed too. not that you could do any thing else than what you did.Thank you for all you did for both dogs.
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't a mass cell tumor fairly easy to biopsy and diagnose ...
Yes. A Mast Cell tumor is easy to diagnose with a needle biopsy. I don't understand the "pus" though. Mast cells are firm and shouldn't have pus in it and for it to be that large, then it was there for quite some time. I'd like to know why the vet didn't remove the tumor. There has to be more to the story than just they spent $2000 and nothing was done. That doesn't make any sense.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
He didn't say,but according to the paperwork I saw,there was the initial vist/diagnosis/biopsy which totaled $470.

The remainder was for the beginning course of treatments.The wife said he insisted on stopping the treatments because he wasn't happy. I didn't get the whole story because they were both talking in circles and I became more concerned with the dog on the floor and my dog they adopted from me,who was oblivious to the whole thing as he sleep on his orthopedic bed.The whole situation was weird considering that they appear to be nice people.
that must have been chemo. $470 is really high for a visit and a needle biopsy. That is high for what we have paid to have a tumor removed and biopsied.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
that must have been chemo. $470 is really high for a visit and a needle biopsy. That is high for what we have paid to have a tumor removed and biopsied.
Needle biopsy at my vet is $390. Possible mast cells are pretty close to the only thing they don't do in-house. Add in office visit and $470 isn't that far out of range for my clinic and this area is pretty cheap for vet care.

Chemo treatments run in the range of $1500 for the initial round of care
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.