Oh please dont bite me! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

stop being sensitive about people commenting about
your dog. i bet the girls remarks didn't bother Kono.

i was leaving the woods one day walking towards
my car. a mother and daughter were walking towards
their car. our paths crossed. as my dog an i neared
them the mother says " does he bite"? the daughter
(12 to 15 yrs old) jumps behind her mother and grabs
her coat and says "he's a child eater, mom". i start
laughing and the daughter starts laughing. the mother
looks at me and says "i guess he wouldn't be out here if he bites".
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

One time I had my very well mannered red Doberman in Petsmart. A woman and her small child came down our aisle, stopped and asked if they could pet her. I said, yes, she'd love it.

As the woman is petting Tessa, she asks what kind of dog she is.

Ummm "a Doberman" I said. She jumped up and away from Tess, like I had announced she was a rattlesnake. Good grief. I guess since she was RED & rust, and not the stereotypical black & rust, that she didn't recognize the breed. And yes, she was docked and cropped. Classic Doberman.

People are weird. Especially in places like Petsmart, lol.

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah Kono is in heat and I had to grab some diapers and since we are good pals with the people who work at the small Unleashed (by Petco) store I thought I'd might let them say hi to her.

Yeah I got worked up for a moment, but I kinda laugh at it now. Haha Thanks for sharing your stories!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

May be the girl was bitten my gsd before, you never know so don't jump to conclusions....some people are afraid of scissors so you tell me whats normal or not hahhaha. I don't get offended when somebody says things like that I actually like it.. keeps people away from me and my dog who just want to mind our own business its a gsd afterall not a golden retriever.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We've certainly had our share of people who were scared. I used to take Gunner to Petsmart just about everyday to socialize and train in the store. He was about 5 or 6 months old before the "change" in attitude happened. To the people, not Gunner.

Since it was winter it was much warmer and we could work for longer periods in the store.
We worked on his commands, his manners etc.
People would literally jump out of the way. I'd over hear parents warn their child about the "dangerous" dog. Seriously?
I decided that rather than get mad, I'd let his actions speak for him.
I'd pass people and guess what? Nothing happened.

Every so often a dog would react to us and bark (and it was usually it a small dog) and Gunner would bark back. Guess who's bark was louder?
The looks we got were downright funny. I swear people thought that Gunner was going to kill their little dog. The prejudices against out breed are ridiculous sometimes, but I've learned to accept it and move on.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Don't take offence to it I find it funny. People do it to Chief ALL the time. The funniest one is where I was walking in Home Depot (they allow dogs) and we were walking around and they lady came around the corner and screamed loud and said OMG if thats not a GSD i don't know what is she put her hands up in the air like I was a cop or something the she was saying under her breath please don't eat me, please don't eat me.

Every time I walk him if im walking him outside towards someone they will cross the street and pass me on the other side of the side walk then cross back.

I had a lady at my work see him and she freaked I mean Chief was being petted by one of my coworkers and wagging his tail and we were far from her and she jumped up on the counter saying he was going to eat her leg off

I also get people to follow me in petstores I can hear them behind me walking about how beautiful he is and how they would love to pet him then I turn around and say you can pet him if you want hes friendly then most of the time they go uh um no that's okay

I have also had a lady trip when we came around an isle in petsmart she go so scared when she saw him. It happens all the time I just find it funny, because Chief just wagging his tail and excited to be out. I to have heard people warn kids or their other family members, to not get close to that dog hes a viscous killer. Really? lol

Last edited by frillint1; 12-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I was at a dog show in Hot Springs a few months ago, and was standing ringside with Carly, watching a different breed.

A woman and her husband walked by me, and the woman LOUDLY said "oh, no, a German Shepherd! Those dogs can kill you!". She was acting like a lunatic, frankly. Her husband kept trying to shut her up, but she just kept going on and on. Good grief, lady! You are at a DOG SHOW...

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I was at a dog show in Hot Springs a few months ago, and was standing ringside with Carly, watching a different breed.

A woman and her husband walked by me, and the woman LOUDLY said "oh, no, a German Shepherd! Those dogs can kill you!". She was acting like a lunatic, frankly. Her husband kept trying to shut her up, but she just kept going on and on. Good grief, lady! You are at a DOG SHOW...

Should say softly under your breath "Yes, they can but at least they won't eat you".
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can't remember a time when anyone actually commented that she was dangerous, but I've had people act like she was about ready to eat them, their children, etc. I ignore it, and actually sometimes appreciate it. I'm not in a habit of telling anyone and everyone she's friendly. I don't tell them she's mean, but one of the benefits of having a shepherd (especially when you're a young, single, female, aka me) is the fact that they can keep unsavory people at bay just by being a shepherd.

I have the oposite problem when I take her to petsmart. There are the people that are afraid of her, but they usually just move away from her, but there are so many people that just feel free to reach down and pet her. I'm not a fan of that. She's not a biter, but the potential is always there, and I don't like people messing with her without permission. I like to be in control of her interactions with others. I also almost never let unfamiliar children pet her. Again, she's not a biter, but kids are unpredictable and I don't take any unnecessary chances.

I would just chalk this up to a mildly agitating experience and have fun with your pup with people who enjoy her and not worry about the people who don't.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Should say softly under your breath "Yes, they can but at least they won't eat you".

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.