Gabe Tried To Bite Someone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Gabe Tried To Bite Someone

I was doing some work with Gabe out in front of Walmart tonight, and it was going very well.

He's not the most friendly of dogs, so I've been mixing training with socialization out in public places.

Well, tonight, a guy came up to me while we were working, and he started talking to me.

He was standing much closer to me than I liked. Closer than strangers normally stand for conversation, and it was kinda unnerving.

Firstly, he told me that Gabe was "so small" for a German Shepherd. Gabe is a very lean 77lbs. So THEN he went on to tell me that Gabe's gums are "darkened" and that I should be brushing his teeth more often. Gabe is raw-fed and has beautiful teeth and gums from all the bones and such. And he closed by saying that his coat is dry and rough (no moreso than other shepherds I've encountered...) and that this should be remedied by rubbing him down with bacon grease and not letting him lick himself for at least an hour. (He said he learned all these things while assisting his veterinarian mother, and was offering me this advice because he wanted to "help me out".)

He also said that he helped train dogs when he was in the Marines and that he had K-9 equipment and a big yard back at his place.

So, at this point, I'm irritated and even more creeped out. This guy reaches out for Gabe, who has been extremely good thus far, but snarls and snaps at the guy, who promptly gets obviously nervous and leaves.

....I've been trying to work on his attitude around people, but, in this case, I can't say I'm displeased at all.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -

Last edited by Anitsisqua; 12-22-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not too sure I'd be concerned about my dog snapping at a stranger, standing too close, and (by your description), acting really creepy.

I may be very wrong, but it sounds as if your dog picked up on your nervous tension around this individual.

Keep working with him, and be prepared to stop it if he acts this way in front of "nice people"
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah. He'd been letting other people approach and pet him before this, so I'm not thinking it was part of an aggressive pattern.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Given his age I am thinking he probably picked up on your discomfort and that is also an age where he can get a little angst going too. I think a little more fear than protection

I would make sure he had plenty of "normal" interactions with folks. You are trying to work on his "attitude" around people. Is there already an existing problem? If so, I would probably be trying to work it around someplace where the crowd was a little more predictable and controlled like a dog class setting.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Next time just be blunt with people like this. Tell them that he's not people friendly instead of waiting and hoping he doesn't react.

I'm guessing he was probably also feeding off your vibes. You were uncomfortable with this guy and he sensed it, so he took matters into his own hands. Did you correct him after? What happened immediately after the bite attempt?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

The only existing problem is that in the home environment, he is only really familiar with me. Also, it's pretty quiet and peaceful, so I'm just trying to get him used to being around more people and crowds. Just basic socialization... Also trying to work on his focus in a more stimulating environment.

We've done classes and visited Petco/the vet's office, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Next time just be blunt with people like this. Tell them that he's not people friendly instead of waiting and hoping he doesn't react.
I wanted to clear up that he hasn't displayed aggression in the past. I'm not just letting people approach and praying he doesn't bite.
He's been doing quite well in similar situations with other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
I'm guessing he was probably also feeding off your vibes. You were uncomfortable with this guy and he sensed it, so he took matters into his own hands. Did you correct him after? What happened immediately after the bite attempt?
I did correct him. After that, the guy left, and I heaved a deep sigh of relief.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would be displeased. The dog saw this guy talking to you. He shouldn't have snapped at the guy. The guy did not come out of the blue, you weren't shouting at the guy.

Furthermore, if WalMart get's wind of that, they are not going to want people socializing their dogs outside of their store.

So now you know, Instead of getting ramped up at unsolicited advice and allowing your dog to defend himself, be proactive and if necessary, rude. Tell the yayhoo "excuse me, but when I want your advice I will ask for it." or, "The dog is in training, do not approach him."

Your dog may have been keying off of you, but he did not protect when the guy got into your self-space, he protected himself when the guy violated his self-space. Just pointing that out. That is not exactly abnormal. I am not sure if it indicates that the dog is not confident in you to protect him, or if he is picking and choosing who he thinks is ok, not taking direction from you at all.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well the creepy guy obviously never helped train dogs, he would have known better than to reach out for your dog. When I brought my dog Molly to watch our local police do emergency and K9 training near our business, when meeting Molly, the dog trainers stood to my dogs side, relaxed their arms to their side and let Molly smell them. Your dog uncovered a creepy fraud.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm most stunned by the fact no one chose to acknowledge the fact that this guy told me to COAT MY DOG IN BACON GREASE AND STOP HIM FROM LICKING HIMSELF.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
I'm most stunned by the fact no one chose to acknowledge the fact that this guy told me to COAT MY DOG IN BACON GREASE AND STOP HIM FROM LICKING HIMSELF.
I am thinking this might be a new method in encouraging your dog to give himself a bath. Douse him with a generous amount of bacon grease.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.