Gabe Tried To Bite Someone - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
I wanted to clear up that he hasn't displayed aggression in the past. I'm not just letting people approach and praying he doesn't bite.
He's been doing quite well in similar situations with other people.
You mentioned in your first post that he's not the friendliest dog. I didn't think you meant he's a snarling beast when he sees new people, but could you elaborate what you meant?

And I meant to just say it so stuff like this doesn't happen again. I tell people my dog isn't dog friendly all the time. Some strange dogs she likes, and others, not so much. So I just say she's not friendly and that's enough to get people to back off with their dogs. I think of it as a way to play it safe without offending anyone.

Same goes for dogs with people. When someone hears that a dog isn't friendly, that's usually enough to stop some random weirdo from reaching out and grabbing the dog. That's all I meant when I said to be blunt. Might not be 100% truth, but it gets the point across.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
You mentioned in your first post that he's not the friendliest dog. I didn't think you meant he's a snarling beast when he sees new people, but could you elaborate what you meant?

And I meant to just say it so stuff like this doesn't happen again. I tell people my dog isn't dog friendly all the time. Some strange dogs she likes, and others, not so much. So I just say she's not friendly and that's enough to get people to back off with their dogs. I think of it as a way to play it safe without offending anyone.

Same goes for dogs with people. When someone hears that a dog isn't friendly, that's usually enough to stop some random weirdo from reaching out and grabbing the dog. That's all I meant when I said to be blunt. Might not be 100% truth, but it gets the point across.
I just meant that he tends more towards being standoffish than social. Not fearful, but not overly friendly. I know that aloofness is a breed trait, but there's always a range.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well if you cook up some eggs and bacon in the morning, and gabe runs and hides. You darn well know he understood what the creepy dood was saying Just keep working with him I am sure he will be ok.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it's something that has never happened before and was completely out of character than he was probably just feeding off of you. Keep an eye on him and just be aware because situations like this will happen again. There are stupid people everywhere. It's crazy how these dogs pick up on things that we'd never sense. They're smarter than we think at times... especially this breed.

And you didn't know the bacon grease trick? Only the really smart dog owners put bacon grease on their dogs. Obviously... that guy was part of that elite group.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post

And you didn't know the bacon grease trick? Only the really smart dog owners put bacon grease on their dogs. Obviously... that guy was part of that elite group.
Totally. And I absolutely LOVE the Emperor's new outfit!

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Personally I'd not tell people that your dog isn't people friendly - it will cause you even more trouble if someone overhears that if he does happen to bite someone.
You're best off just saying he's in training and ask people to please not pet him.
It's a "so you KNEW the dog is not people friendly, why did you bring him to a public place" situation if the other person who got bitten sues you.

WOW there seems to be a huge misconception that bacon grease IN FOOD is great for a dogs coat (LOL I googled it) nowhere does anyone mention putting it on the dog - gosh that would smell - rancid bacon grease
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I now want bacon
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

because you are uneasy with someone doesn't mean
Gabe should bite.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

who's deciding who's nice, the OP or Gabe?
the OP make think the person is nice but doesn't
mean they are nice. what if the OP thinks the
person is nice and Gabe doesn't think they're nice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Not too sure I'd be concerned about my dog snapping at a stranger, standing too close, and (by your description), acting really creepy.

I may be very wrong, but it sounds as if your dog picked up on your nervous tension around this individual.

>>>> Keep working with him, and be prepared to stop it if he acts this way in front of "nice people"<<<<
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

umm, love bacon but i wouldn't put bacon
grease on my dog and neither would you.
when i cook bacon my dog get's 2 or 3 strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I now want bacon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.