Found Neighbors Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unhappy Found Neighbors Dog

My husband and I were coming home from dinner when we saw something in the road. It turns out it's our new neighbor's old Lab mix. I've only talked to them a few times,but they said that the dog was 15 years old.The dog was a bit of an escape artist and always tended to get out of the fence. My neighbors had some out of town guests come in and it looks like they all went out.I remember them mentioning that Gracie would have to be outside in the backyard for a while because some of the family didn't like indoor dogs. I didn't agree with it,but I just heard them out.

Gracie was hit right in front of their house,but my husband picked her up and one of us will be letting them know tomorrow.

They have 4 kids that really seemed to love the dog.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How sad. Whoever hit Gracie should have stopped and investigated what they tunked. I hope she went quickly.
And I do hope they don't get another, if it cannot be part of the family safe, inside.
RIP Gracie...thank you to both you & your husband taking care of her remains.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

How sad and sorry family or not, my house, my rules. They don't like indoor pets, They are welcome to stay at a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

What a sad Christmas this will be for that family...
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
How sad. Whoever hit Gracie should have stopped and investigated what they tunked. I hope she went quickly.
And I do hope they don't get another, if it cannot be part of the family safe, inside.
RIP Gracie...thank you to both you & your husband taking care of her remains.
Wow! So because they put the dog out for a couple days while they have guest it "wasn't part of the family"? Sounds like the family and kids really loved the dog. I'm sure if they hated the dog that much they wouldn't have kept it for 15 years. I love my dog as much as the next person but it isn't some horrible crime and the dog isn't going to suffer and need therapy by being put outside for a couple of days if it has proper shelter. The dog was in a fence and managed to escape, maybe they could have tied it up within the fence or something to make it a little better (Since not everyone can go out and randomly buy a sturdy kennel with a top that can't be dug out of especially at Christmas time) but I don't see how this automatically makes them horrible people who don't deserve another dog. We all make mistakes and this was quite an unfortunate one with a bad ending but no need to add insult to injury.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

But the dog did suffer from being outside for a few days. He was hit by a car and killed. The family knew he was an escape artist, yet left him outside unattended. Poor judgement. I am so sorry for the dog and the kids.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-GSD View Post
Wow! So because they put the dog out for a couple days while they have guest it "wasn't part of the family"? Sounds like the family and kids really loved the dog. I'm sure if they hated the dog that much they wouldn't have kept it for 15 years. I love my dog as much as the next person but it isn't some horrible crime and the dog isn't going to suffer and need therapy by being put outside for a couple of days if it has proper shelter. The dog was in a fence and managed to escape, maybe they could have tied it up within the fence or something to make it a little better (Since not everyone can go out and randomly buy a sturdy kennel with a top that can't be dug out of especially at Christmas time) but I don't see how this automatically makes them horrible people who don't deserve another dog. We all make mistakes and this was quite an unfortunate one with a bad ending but no need to add insult to injury.
I misread the sentence and thought the dog was always out...because a family member didn't like inside dogs.
Quote:
I remember them mentioning that Gracie would have to be outside in the backyard for a while because some of the family didn't like indoor dogs
The words for a while zipped right past my comprehension.
That said, a senior dog usually just sleeps more often than not so leaving it out for several days would still be hard on it, especially if the weather was chilly.

I never said they were horrible people or that the dog would need therapy, etc...you embellished quite a bit from my post, not sure how you got all that from what I wrote
Dogs want to be with their people and not tied out. No reason to even have a dog if it is left alone outside. That was my point...RIP GRACIE

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Onyx, your post just rubbed me the wrong way a bit. It came off like someone who puts their dogs outside by it's self is a bad person and shouldn't own a dog. And dogs don't have to be with people 24/7, I'm sure most of you work right? How does your dog cope at home by themselves? Being outside and inside makes no difference on the dogs thinking of "being alone". Given how dogs tend to react to their owners coming home, be it 5 minutes or a whole day...I doubt they have much sense of time either. So being outside for a couple days might not be any worse than being inside alone for several hours for certain dogs. Some dogs even enjoy being outside more than inside. Being outside also doesn't mean the dog gets no attention. (This being the reason most people feel that dogs shouldn't be kept outside, the thinking that the dogs get food and water and that's it) With 4 kids I'm sure the dog interacted with them during the day, maybe not all their guest are iffy about dogs and are willing to give a pat or two, maybe even a treat to the old pooch while visiting.

I agree it was very poor judgement but I still don't think these people should be beat down for what they did so long as they learn from it. Accidents happen regardless though. At this time of year they probably weren't thinking too well with so much else on most folks minds. We don't plan unfortunate advents and maybe they thought because the dog hadn't been hit in 15 years that it had "street smarts" to stay away from the road. Who knows? Some Average Joe owners DON'T fully comprehend the fact dogs can't fully think to the extent we do about things like staying out of the road. Not everyone is super "dog savvy" and just want a pet; they know to feed it food, give it water, walk it, vet it when needed, ect. They don't care to invest time into a dog forum to learn how to spend $100 on kibble, spend time making better homemade food for the dog than they do their own human family, do trials with their dogs that take money, time and travel, how to properly crate train a dog indoors who doesn't need it or have $$$ to invest ing boarding a dog instead of putting it outside in a fence where it's known to escape. Maybe next time they'll figure out a better way to contain the next dog if they need to do this again. But it's still very sad to lose a long time pet and I'm sure the family will be quite upset, especially so close to what should be a happy time with family and friends.

Last edited by SS-GSD; 12-22-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Who the heck is beating them down? I think you are taking what I posted to the extreme. Nothing that I wrote pertains to what you surmise. Wow!!
My thoughts are with Gharrissc and her husband who dealt with taking care of the poor dog. And the fact that they had to break the news to their neighbors. Get over what I misread, please...you are making way more of what I posted than what I ever said.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Going by your lovely attitude I'd say you're far more worked up about it than I am. I simply explained how it came off to me and a couple extra feelings since you said "Dogs want to be with their people and not tied out.". The second part wasn't even fully directed towards you.

Good thoughts with the family and their children over this tragic accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.