Ridiciolous Family. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Ridiciolous Family.

They tend to say, puppies bring lots of joy... It might have been true, but not with my family. Right. Let me start off with saying that before I got a pup, I tried to read everything that I can, if they are ill, behaviour, etc - I even decided to take Zack to training classes to get him on the best behaviour, especially since there are small kids that might be visiting us every so often, etc.
Okay, well this started when my brother and his girlfriend moved in. When they did move in, I wrote a piece of paper stuff like when the dog jumps up, ignore him and when he calms down then pet him, or when he bites ignore him or give him a toy to show him what's right, stuff like that. They did everything. The opposite way. My brother always lets Zack jump up on him, when I remind him he just jumps backwards which gets Zack even more attention and praise (in a "fun" way). I keep reminding him every day, he still does it. Or when I need to do my homework or basically chill out for a couple of minutes, I put Zack in the crate and go to my room. I tell my mum and my brother that he still hasn't been yet after dinner, so when you see any signs take him out please. They assure me they will. I come out 15 minutes later, first thing I see? A big poo beside the front door and a puddle. Obviously, noone noticed, because noone was taking care of him. First thought, why did they let him out, and when they did, why did they not look after him? I asked, their response "his whining was pissing us off". Well, great. This happened a couple of times, always the same happens. It once even happened when my friend came over. I try to point these things out, like when they let Zack jump up on them, etc - They start saying that I'm making a soldier out of Zack, that I'm so strict, and more. I obviously try to respond with an argument, saying why I do it, etc - Then what my mum usually does is start screaming and "cry", then tell my dad that I always start arguments... Fantastic! Love it. I wish this happened every single day... Then one day my brother was playing with Zack, and I noticed Zack bark, but my brother continued to reward him by playing. After numerous amounts if times telling them that if he barks just stop playing for a while, they still tend to ignore me. I usually just go to my room and try to calm myself, because I know I won't get any support from them. And what happened today. Zack had diarrhoea today, so I told my mum we need to fast him for 24 hours so it goes away, and that we can give him some rice occasionally. She said okay okay, whatever. Then at around 7pm, I'm in my room and I hear dry food hitting off the edge of the bowl... My mum gave Zack more food already, which even the vet told not to do so (we have an appointment tomorrow), but still, she tends to ignore it and says she has "more experience with dogs" than the vet and the people who write articles on the internet... Seriously, all I really need is just some support and love. All I get is getting screamed at and getting ignored no matter how hard I try to raise Zack well. They just say they know better because they had one dog before, that hardly knew how to sit and kept barking whenever someone opened the door or rang the bell... I seriously cannot take it anymore, I wish me and Zack could just run away so I could train him myself... And of course my brother being a jerk is teasing me with stuff like "your dog obviously likes me better than you, look he comes to me to play and he doesn't like you", etc. He is 33 years old and is still doing that. I would think he had some brains in that head, but no. It breaks my heart to hear stuff like "your dog hates you" because I am the one that has to be strict, of course they give him big treats for nothing (my mum gave him a cooked bone once that I had to take away from Zack), or I need to put Zack in the crate, etc - So I understand that he might not like me very much... It's heartbreaking for me... I wish I could just be alone with Zack and noone else
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Adam

Zach loves you. Can you put a crate in your room for Zach?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I wish I could but there is hardly any space
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

LOL!!! "He is 33 years old and is still doing that. I would think he had some brains in that head, but no"

I cannot promise it will get any better.

However, You just look your brother square in the eye and say - This is my dog and my responsibility, and I want a balanced obedient dog, not just for the safety of our family, but all others as well as his own health...and that you would appreciate that he respect the time and effort you have put into learning and training and that if any thing happens to your dog as a result of these mixed messages, that will fall on his conscience and could he live with it.

can you keep your dog on a long line in the house, and when your bro gets stupid, take the lead and remove your dog from the situation without saying a word, or looking at him, if you do not speak to your bro, acknowledge, disagree, plead with him to understand...it will get old for him fast...he is antagonizing you as brothers will...he isn't seeing what he is doing is wrong...he'll learn you mean business
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Your dog doesn't hate you
Your brother is a jerk for acting that way, especially as you're trying to do the right thing.
How old are you?
Sadly "adults" often just don't take younger people seriously, and older brothers will do anything to"tease" you. It's hard when you try to do what you think is right and no one will listen and have no respect for what you tell them.
Luckily eventually when you're old enough to move out you can do things your own way, until then you're just kinda stuck with your family and have to make the best of it.
I agree if you could take Zack into your bedroom it'd probably be for the best. And maybe if you could take him away when your brother gets him all riled up that would work too, if your brother won't be difficult about it.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It must be rough being the youngest one in the home and especially if you are trying to be the responsible one. But, be of good cheer! dogs are resilient. If you keep doing what YOU think is right, Zach will turn out to be a good dog despite your annoying family's influence.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree that Zach doesn't hate you, I also agree it's tough training a dog when you have family members on the opposite side.

Here's one thing I would do) When you tell them to keep an eye on Zach , as to whether he has to go potty and they don't...Well if Zach potties IN the house on their watch THEY get to clean it up I'd make that clear to I'd say,,he potties IN the house on your watch, you clean it up..

If he knocks some old lady down because YOU (not you, family you), are allowing him to jump all over you, and that persons sue's us, YOU will be paying for it..

It's hard I know, but you keep doing what YOU think is right, and don't let them get you down

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Best thing you can do is just ignore everyone, pay all your attention to the dog. Seriously, that is what I had to resort to. Soon enough they get the idea you like the dog better than them, since the dog listens!
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everyone for the good tips, it helps a lot... Thank you
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Hey Adam... keep doing what you are doing. Hopefully your family will soon recognize your commitment to Zach and smarten up! A smart, well trained puppy benefits everyone.

And make no mistake, Zach loves and respects you the most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.