German Shepherds Forum banner

Put your money where your mouth is? NOT funny!

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Mooch 
#1 ·
My daughter is home for the winter break. The new house is VERY small, so it's been a challenge to keep Grim out of things. Especially when we aren't settled yet! For some reason, my wife put some papers and Christmas cards (containing money!) in a laundry basket on our bedroom floor. :confused:

I had put the dogs outside, and was on the phone to argue with the cell phone company about our bill. I couldn't watch Grim and be on the phone....which is why I put the dogs outside. My daughter knew I was on the phone in another room. Anyway, my wife's mutt barks non-stop outside...at nothing. So she let the dogs in and went to watch TV in the living room. I got off the phone, and found Grim in our bedroom with shreds of a Christmas card and envelope. There was a $20 bill on the floor. I looked at the bits left (after taking them from Grim) and it was from my brother. I was frantically looking all over for the rest of the money. It was gone. He sent my wife and me much more than the $20 I found.

I went totally ballistic on my daughter for letting the pup roam free in the house without watching him. I called my wife to tell her what had happened. I was so angry that I didn't say another word to my daughter the rest of the day. My wife looked for the remaining money when she got home from work, but it was nowhere. I said that someone was going to be going through dog poo until the missing cash turned up.

I guess to fully understand my anger, you need more info. We moved for my wife to get a job where the kids and especially I would have health insurance. The move was expensive, and we've been living hand to mouth for a long time. We just had to set up the payment plan for the next semester of my daughter's college. Money wise, we're just in a nightmare of a mess. So every dime we get from family is greatly needed and appreciated. We haven't even done ANY Christmas shopping yet. My MIL loaned us some cash to buy something for the kids. Anyway.....

Last night, my wife asks me if I looked at the envelope to see who it was to. I said no, there were only bits... and it was from my brother and I know how much he sent. Apparently, he also sent each of my kids a card, with $20 in it. It was my son's card that Grim had gotten. So there was NO money in his stomach. What I found was all there was. Our card was still safe! :crazy: I have to tell you, though, through all of it I was never even sort of angry at Grim. My daughter was, LOL! She told us to get rid of him, he was a pest, etc. I blamed my daughter for letting the pup inside then not watching him. So we went over the rules (AGAIN) for the pup being loose inside. Someone has to be watching him, and the bedroom doors have to be closed tight. The person who lets the dogs inside is the person responsible for watching them.

For anyone who's had a pup ruin things or eat things, I feel for you! We've not had an incident prior to this because he was always watched. When you throw another person into the mix, though, they have to live by the rules! Grim is fast, and can be VERY obnoxious if not watched! :p Some days I think I'm getting too old for this puppy non-sense, LOL! I can't wait until he's trustworthy! I was very relieved, though, to find that he didn't actually put the money where his mouth is!!

See less See more
#3 ·
My golden ate my son's YMCA card. One day my son said he lost it and two days later guess what I found while picking up dog poop. The funniest part was when my son showed the dog the new card...the dog looked like he seen a ghost:D

#6 ·
Oh yeah!! Crates are a LIFESAVER!! I'd just let him out of his crate to go outside, though. I don't like him crated all day, especially since he's got to be crated when my parrots are out. Right now, outside is the only place where he can burn off some of his energy. My daughter just hasn't adjusted to the 'routine'. She now is well aware that she cannot let him inside and then go watch TV!

#9 ·
Jag,
I'm glad the cash was safe! I hear ya on the daughter home from winter break thing.
It completely changes the dynamics at home.
Now with my son also at home from break and all four of us at home Bear thinks its all party all the time, lol!
I hope your family adjusts to the new routines,
Happy Holidays!

#10 ·
Ugh, yeah! I'm going to have all three kids home on Friday!! :eek: Don't know how we're going to do it space-wise... but we'll manage! :eek: We have GOT to get a bigger place!

Yes, I was thrilled that he didn't get the other envelope! Of course.. I'm going to have 2 more kids to 'train' about him in a couple days! I'm having my wife put up all of the paper stuff she's got within Grim reach. Hopefully we'll have no more near misses!

#12 ·
Ooohhh, that's a good idea!! If we had the money, it would be a done deal, LOL! Especially since the motel is next door! :rolleyes: My MIL offered to keep a kid at her place... I'll see if I can get a kid to take her up on that. Hopefully my daughter since she loves to fight with the boys. Our youngest son won't want to do it because he's still homesick from moving with his dad. My oldest is 22, and I haven't seen him in over a month, so I'd rather he stayed with me. He'll only be here for 4 days because of his work schedule. :( He's my special needs kid...so we have the closest bond. Our daughter is so full of... well, you get the idea...that I think she'd take the offer to get away from us for a few days, LOL!
My MIL feels bad now that she sees how small the house is, especially when the kids come home. When you run out of time and options, though...what are you gonna do? I've been looking at houses to buy, and have seen a few I'd take in a heart beat. I don't know if we could get out of the lease early or not, but I'd like to get a house ASAP while we're seeing what we want at reasonable prices.

#17 ·
Oh no lucky he didn't eat the money!!
In that sort of situation it's either laugh about it or cry about it!! I bet your daughter was pretty upset by it too.

I don't even want to add up the damage bill from all the stuff my pup chewed :eek:
He wrecked his $55 lead and I kid you not he removed all the mud flaps from my car while it was parked in the backyard because I had to unload a bunch of horse food.
He destroys every plastic bucket he finds so now the dogs have a metal cooking pot as their water bowl and all the horses have metal buckets or buckets without handles :(
They are so quick to chew stuff, and it was always my fault because I forget to put things out of his reach, I wasn't used to having a puppy :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.