German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Ky's first sledding experience (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/196470-kys-first-sledding-experience.html)

Kyleigh 12-16-2012 05:43 PM

Ky's first sledding experience

2 Attachment(s)
Up this morning at 5 am and out the door by 5:30 for a 3 hour drive to pick up the sled and get my "lesson"

I got a bonus ... he took me on a quick ride with his dogs ... wow ... not sure how fast they were going, but it sure felt like we were flying ... loads of fun. Mind you, I don't think one dog can pull as fast as 5!!!

Once we got back, I put the harness on Kyleigh and then hooked her to the sled. "D" was behind the sled steering, and I ran ahead and called her to me. We had two "false" starts while she tried to figure out what the heck was going on behind her ... and then BAM ... she got it!!!

Here's some pics of Ky pulling "D" on the sled! They're pretty "bad" pics ... but at least I got some! I was running backwards while I was taking them!

Now, all I have to do is get the concept of pulling the sled without trying to "catch" me!!!

Angelina03 12-16-2012 06:05 PM

Love it. How fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Carriesue 12-16-2012 06:13 PM

That's so cool! And wow, look at all that snow... so pretty!

Kyleigh 12-16-2012 06:26 PM

Pretty? LOL pretty cold!!!

Yeah, it was a lot of fun ... Ottawa doesn't have that much snow yet, but it's snowing now ... 3 hours north makes a huge difference snow-wise!!!

I can't wait to try it with her alone!

Capone22 12-16-2012 06:37 PM

How cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Syaoransbear 12-16-2012 06:41 PM

I'm so jealous, I've ALWAYS wanted to try this!

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 12-16-2012 07:27 PM

She looks ready to rock. The snow is pretty and I am begining to wonder if we will get any but as the son just started driving Ill just enjoy yours vicariously! thanks for sharing.

Kyleigh 12-16-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syaoransbear (Post 2657017)
I'm so jealous, I've ALWAYS wanted to try this!

You're in SK ... c'mon ... what're you waiting for? You guys get way loads more snow that we do ... and all that flat land!!!!

Syaoransbear 12-16-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyleigh (Post 2657064)
You're in SK ... c'mon ... what're you waiting for? You guys get way loads more snow that we do ... and all that flat land!!!!

It would be perfect if only I knew where to get a sled like that :laugh:!

Muskeg 12-16-2012 11:01 PM

Super fun! If you are near Ottawa, there is a fun group of folks who skijor and mush with small teams SkiDogs.Ca - SkiDogs.Ca. They welcome beginners and run a variety of dogs including GSDs and malinois.

It's best to get out there with a bunch of other dogs to chase or even hook up your dog with a seasoned veteran so she can "learn the ropes" from another dog.

A kicksled is a cheaper option if you want to sled it. There are lots of places you can buy one.

It's getting down to -10 to -20 here tonight and I just skijored the dogs about 16 miles. They love the cold, but it took my fingers about 45 minutes to thaw out once I got home.