German Shepherds Forum banner

Devastating News

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  doggiedad 
#1 ·
Rocky has been doing amazing since his nipping incident last christmas. We have been building up his confidence and I got a new roommate two weeks ago and he took to her, her boyfriend, and the boyfriends brother amazingly well, better than I could have imagined.

Well, I was going to stay at my apartment then leave for home a few days before christmas but my boyfriend graduates from the police academy Thursday and today is his birthday so I came to Dallas.

I do not like to bring Rocky here under any circumstances because my requests are ignored completely. He is fed human food constantly and treats are endless...plus my boyfriend's brother and dad will bark at him because they think it is funny but Rocky gets scared.

Well, all the kennels I know were fully booked so I brought him and his kennel with me. My boyfriend and I went out to birthday dinner and I honestly had an awful time worrying about Rocky. I had him in the kennel in my room upstairs, and had told everyone he was going to sleep in there until I got home.

We get home to find Rocky running around the house and the younger brother's black friend tells us that Rocky charged at him when he stood up and turned to go inside from the backyard and that Rocky nipped his butt.

First, I was extremely furious that he had been taken out of the kennel
Second, I was really mad the younger brother did not remember that Rocky has only met a few black people and really, really dislikes/fears them.
Third, I was confused as to why they still had him running around the house with the friend down there.

Last, I took Rocky upstairs and cried relentlessly while thinking "WHY ME? Why can't I have a normal dog?" and considering if I should just put him down to put him out of his misery.

I read on here constantly about how fearful dogs are miserable and should just be put down, but I feel as though Rocky is the happiest dog so long as we have our routine. He is not dangerous to anyone unless someone other than me is watching him and not taking proper precautions. He is perfect with the vet, groomers, kennel people, even when he meets someone for the first time. We can walk by anyone, even his 'triggers' on a walk and he doesn't flinch. But put him inside in a room with his trigger and he is very fearful.

The boy who he nipped on the butt is 18 and he came up into the room and sat on the bed with Rocky laying beside me, who promptly fell asleep and ignored him. He told me that he wasn't sure if Rocky had really nipped him because he was just frightened at a dog jumping on him from behind. I think he was just saying that to make me feel better.

I'm not really looking for advice, because I obviously just need to not leave him with people I don't trust anymore. But does anyone else have a fearful dog that they have to schedule their entire life around that could share their story? That would help to hear.

I literally never go on vacation or go home anymore because I hate boarding Rocky but I am not comfortable bringing him because he gets fearful when his routine is changed. I can only have select friends over. When my roommate has friends over, Rocky can't leave my room. We have to walk every morning at 7am to get the excess energy out and we walk the same route every day because if I change it up he gets nervous. I have to listen to my family call him names and make fun of his fear. I get embarrassed when trying to explain his situation to people who have never had a fearful dog.

My whole life revolves around him.

Even worse, I just got offered a full scholarship to study abroad in Spain for four months in the fall and was offered a job with Fluor in Spain while I am there. My boyfriend is getting an apartment and Rocky was supposed to stay with him but now I feel like I am stuck because how could I possibly make my boyfriend understand that Rocky needs an exact routine and explain all the little triggers he has????

I love him and would never give him up, but I feel like I have given up part of my life for the past two years and will do so for the next 10.

See less See more
#3 ·
Cheer up! And Congrats on the opportunity in Spain! Try to keep everything in perspective. Rocky is a dog. Fearful or not, many dogs would bite someone in the situation that rocky was in. A strange house, full of strange people, a hectic environment and his owner out of site. I would be furious as well if I came home to that chaos. Too me it does not sound like Rocky is a total loss and I would not even consider putting him down at this point.

Is there any chance on taking him to spain with you for the four months?

#4 ·
I agree with rob:)

There are far worse dogs out there, far worse owners as well.

I had a fearful dog, and he probably would have done the same thing. (he's passed now),,but he was a 24/7 project, tho over time things were better I could never fully trust him around kids/people.

I knew his triggers, and worked with them.

It's not your fault or Rocky's fault. But I do understand how one's life can revolve around their dogs.

We may not end up with the dogs we want, but we usually end up with dogs we need and they are usually the ones that teach us so much.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree with rob and Jakoda as well.

All of our dogs are house dogs and WE are their pack. If anything changes their routine, they get in a " dither". Also, each dog is different and some have to be managed as Jakoda stated.

We have never boarded our dogs or left them with anyone else... they have so many little quirks and a routine no one else could handle smoothly. And, we couldn't enjoy ourselves anyway; we'd worry about them the whole time.

If we go away, they come with us. If for some reason, one of us has to go away (usually me), hubby stays with the dogs.

Our lives do seem to revolve around the dogs. But, that's OUR CHOICE and a decision/ commitment we made when we got them...We actually discussed it.
We knew when we got all of our dogs how it would impact our lives.

At times, there may seem to be a ' downside' but, for the most part, I wouldn't have it any other way.

IMO, it's not your fault, nor Rocky's.

:) Kat

#6 ·
our lives are scheduled around our dogs whether their fearfull or not.

Rocky has been doing amazing since his nipping incident last christmas. We have been building up his confidence and I got a new roommate two weeks ago and he took to her, her boyfriend, and the boyfriends brother amazingly well, better than I could have imagined.

Well, I was going to stay at my apartment then leave for home a few days before christmas but my boyfriend graduates from the police academy Thursday and today is his birthday so I came to Dallas.

I do not like to bring Rocky here under any circumstances because my requests are ignored completely. He is fed human food constantly and treats are endless...plus my boyfriend's brother and dad will bark at him because they think it is funny but Rocky gets scared.

Well, all the kennels I know were fully booked so I brought him and his kennel with me. My boyfriend and I went out to birthday dinner and I honestly had an awful time worrying about Rocky. I had him in the kennel in my room upstairs, and had told everyone he was going to sleep in there until I got home.

We get home to find Rocky running around the house and the younger brother's black friend tells us that Rocky charged at him when he stood up and turned to go inside from the backyard and that Rocky nipped his butt.

First, I was extremely furious that he had been taken out of the kennel
Second, I was really mad the younger brother did not remember that Rocky has only met a few black people and really, really dislikes/fears them.
Third, I was confused as to why they still had him running around the house with the friend down there.

Last, I took Rocky upstairs and cried relentlessly while thinking "WHY ME? Why can't I have a normal dog?" and considering if I should just put him down to put him out of his misery.

I read on here constantly about how fearful dogs are miserable and should just be put down, but I feel as though Rocky is the happiest dog so long as we have our routine. He is not dangerous to anyone unless someone other than me is watching him and not taking proper precautions. He is perfect with the vet, groomers, kennel people, even when he meets someone for the first time. We can walk by anyone, even his 'triggers' on a walk and he doesn't flinch. But put him inside in a room with his trigger and he is very fearful.

The boy who he nipped on the butt is 18 and he came up into the room and sat on the bed with Rocky laying beside me, who promptly fell asleep and ignored him. He told me that he wasn't sure if Rocky had really nipped him because he was just frightened at a dog jumping on him from behind. I think he was just saying that to make me feel better.

I'm not really looking for advice, because I obviously just need to not leave him with people I don't trust anymore.

>>>>> But does anyone else have a fearful dog that they have to schedule their entire life around that could share their story?<<<<<

That would help to hear.

I literally never go on vacation or go home anymore because I hate boarding Rocky but I am not comfortable bringing him because he gets fearful when his routine is changed. I can only have select friends over. When my roommate has friends over, Rocky can't leave my room. We have to walk every morning at 7am to get the excess energy out and we walk the same route every day because if I change it up he gets nervous. I have to listen to my family call him names and make fun of his fear. I get embarrassed when trying to explain his situation to people who have never had a fearful dog.

My whole life revolves around him.

Even worse, I just got offered a full scholarship to study abroad in Spain for four months in the fall and was offered a job with Fluor in Spain while I am there. My boyfriend is getting an apartment and Rocky was supposed to stay with him but now I feel like I am stuck because how could I possibly make my boyfriend understand that Rocky needs an exact routine and explain all the little triggers he has????

I love him and would never give him up, but I feel like I have given up part of my life for the past two years and will do so for the next 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.