Learned my lesson about kenneling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Default Learned my lesson about kenneling

We moved to a very small town where my MIL lives. I know there's a 'bad faction' in this town, but I didn't take it too seriously as I grew up (in part) in a suburb of Flint. I found out the other day that I should never, ever answer the door with Grim kenneled.

I heard the birds going nuts, and my wife's dog was barking. I went to go see what all the fuss was about. There was a guy that had come to the door. He was driving a red pick up truck. I stuck my head out the door to find out what he wanted. He told me that he was here to disconnect our cable... and gave the name of the only cable company in town. We don't have cable. I told him this. He just stood there and said "well this is xxx address, right?" I said, "Yes, but we don't have cable." Then he said "Well, does xxx (my wife's first name) live here?" I said, "Yes, but we still don't have cable". He finally walked back to his truck.

It didn't hit me until later (this is how slow my brain works since the strokes) that he had no uniform, was driving his personal truck, and probably was NOT from the cable company. I called my wife and told her what happened. She called the cable company who confirmed that they didn't send anyone out and didn't have her name, even, in their system. I called the police to file a report.

Our rental house is in a strange place. Right on the edge of town. It's on a main road in and out of town. On one side is a hotel, and the other is an empty field. A hardware store is past the empty spot. The owner of the hardware store also owns this house. Behind us is a UAW hall that's empty. So we're kind of isolated. I had Grim kenneled at the time, and didn't let him out before answering the door. That will be the LAST time I ever open the door with him in his kennel. I will leash him and open the door. I may just not open the door at all. I got really freaked out because of this. I know Grim is young.. the point isn't to have him attack anyone. He's very dark, though...so he looks scary to those who don't know he's young. He's also handler protective already, so at the very least he'd growl and bark, especially if I'm feeling uneasy. I almost bought a fully trained PP dog, but wanted a pup to raise. I'm seriously thinking now that when Grim is older and mostly trained I will get another. My wife has already been talking about it.... but now I feel vulnerable where I never did before. Of course, I wasn't ill and out of shape before. I've learned my lesson about answering the door here. Grim serves his purpose even now... because of how he looks. He doesn't do me any good in a kennel, though.

We moved here from a very affluent town. It wasn't uncommon for me to leave the front door unlocked all day and even when I ran short errands. Crime was nearly non-existent there. I've gotten very lax about things from living there so long. I owned a house in a blue collar neighborhood, and one of my next door neighbors was a police officer. I never freaked out about someone coming to my door. Especially not when I had my pair of GSDs.

Last edited by Jag; 12-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Yikes! That's a tad creepy. Definitely do what you have to and make your home as secure as possible.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Creepy!!!

I had a very similar situation with a "salesman" coming to the door. He asked questions that people don't ask. After he left, I called the hubbs (who works out of town) to tell him about the conversation, he said "Call the police. Now." The police officer even seemed worried about the questions the dude asked.

So I'm with you. My dog goes with me when I answer the door. Always.
cptduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would put "Danger, Beware of German Shepherd" signs everywhere!
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I actually bought two "Beware... Guard dog on duty" signs the other day, but I haven't put them up yet. That's on my list of "need to do right away" things. I didn't realize how out of touch with 'the real world' I'd become from living where I lived. I used to be very careful.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I saw a sign once that said something like:

Beware! The German Shepherd has a gun and refuses to take his medication.

cptduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptduke View Post
I saw a sign once that said something like:

Beware! The German Shepherd has a gun and refuses to take his medication.

I'll have to look online for that!!!

I used to have a GSD sign that said "I can make it to the fence in 3.5 seconds, can you?"
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I bought that sign, and was told by by-law officers to take it down ... oops! So now it's on the inside of my fence ... that way if you're in my yard already ... watch out! hahahaha
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

For sure a GSD can be a very helpful deterrent to "pushy" salesmen!

My wife was home alone with our young child one day while i was at work when the doorbell rang.

My wife answered the door with our then 4yo female GSD lying on the upstairs floor with our son. The door was in an entryway landing between the 1 and 2nd floor.

Well, the salesman (don't recall what he was selling) was very aggressive and would not take no for an answer. When my wife started to close the door to get rid of him, this guy actually put his foot in the door and started to force his way into the house!

Well, it came to a close VERY quickly - my wife yelled a little, with a catch and probably a little fear in her voice and WHAM! Our very docile, friendly to everyone dog, jumped up, darted down the flight of stairs and inserted herself between my wife and the salesman; and according to my wife, let out a very deep rumbling growl! The salesman very quickly realized that he would be much better off trying to sell something to anybody in the next house. The door shut and it was over!

This was the first and only time that Abby ever showed any aggression to anybody in her entire, eventual 13 year lifetime. And my wife told me later that she had no doubt whatsoever in her mind that if the guy had continued to try to come in, our dog would have attacked him!

BTW, as soon as he was gone, our dog went right back to laying on the floor playing with our baby and having him climb all over her!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh, man, Jag! Do you have to be there for a long time?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.