Need some advice for a stray shepherd. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Need some advice for a stray shepherd.

Alright...so. I actually joined this site for this reason because I need some help. My grandfather has been very sick lately so me and my family have had to stay with him from time to time (IE a couple times a week). His neighborhood is fairly quiet; he lives in a community with few people.
However, there's one problem. There's a gorgeous german shepherd that wanders on his street. Well, he's not gorgeous now; he's filthy and starving, but a real sweet heart. He's also sick.
I have my suspicions of a bad ear infection. He repeatedly shakes his head and scratches his ears (inducing high pitched whines), even to the point of rolling over to scratch in the grass or rubbing against my legs and crying. It's really hard to watch.
I am an animal activist and I hate to see strays wander the streets helplessly. I don't want any ill harm to come to such a sweet kid, but this infection is beyond horrible. I managed to get the shepherd, I lovingly named him Buddy Boy (hence my username), to sit still on the porch and I looked in his left ear, the one that seems to be bothering him more.
Inside was slimy with wax and infection and a fluid resembling the color and texture of pus. There was too much to even put the tip of my finger into his ear and press down (to see deeper inside) and it was running down the side of his face. There's large clumps of the mess on his left cheek.
Aside from the infection, he is starving and I can see his ribs through his fur even at a distance. I also have my suspicions a rib on his left side may be broken/fractured or he has something internally wrong with him because when I pressed gently along his ribs, when I got closer to the end, he jumped and nipped my hand like it hurt him.
He is covered in scars along his feet where I suspect he either was hit multiple times or he escaped from a place that would have cut his legs/feet up. He also has a scar along the bridge of his nose about a centimeter down from his eyes.
I believe Buddy is a purebred or very close to one. He is roughly the right side and height. "Abnormal" things I noticed about his body and shape is that his muzzle is longer than 6 inchs. If I had to roughly measure it, I'd say it is about 8 inchs long. Also, the sort of "slope" you see on a shepherd's back and hips doesn't apply. He stand fully straight like any other dog.
Besides all of this, Buddy does not limp or hide from anyone. He is a sweet heart and will come up to you right away if you call him. He enjoys his belly being scratched and for you to pet his head.
Any other details I find out about Buddy will be posted here. The only other thing I can think to mention is that he is not neutered and wears a rusty choke collar (which I have half a mind to take off of him).

If anyone can help me with this, I will be eternally grateful (and I'm sure Buddy will too). I don't want to see such a darling boy suffer like this.
I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone may have; I just need some feedback on this.
Thank you all.

BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, take him to a vet. They will be able to treat his sores, illnesses, ear infections (whatever he has) better then you will ever be able to at home.
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you want to keep him or just help him? I would look for local German Shepherd Rescues to contact. It's entirely possible they may take him.

Where are you located at?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

@Jax: As much as I would love to keep him, we can't afford it. I'm looking to get him somewhere that will help him. I live in Mobile, Alabama.

@Runnershigh: We can't pay for any treatments and, just speculating, with his bad the infection is, I doubt it would be cheap. It looks like it would takes a couple months to heal.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Here is a GSD rescue in Alabama. Hopefully they will take him. I hope he gets treated soon.

If you are too far south for them, maybe they know a rescue in your area.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AL80.html

If you have an emergency, call, leave a message AND send an email. Most likely the email will reach us first. When calling, leave a brief message as to the nature of your call. Please speak clearly so we can understand your name and phone number.

German Shepherd Rescue of Central Alabama
Email: gsrca_cw@yahoo.com
Phone: (334) 322-1811
PO Box 640561
Pike Road, AL 36064
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Contact Southeast GSD Rescue as well. They might be able to transport him north to them. And look in Florida to see if any rescues there will take him.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll look into them both and talk to my mother about it. Thank you.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sent a copy of your message to a friend involved in Resuce to see if she knows anyone out that way.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

These were the rescues listed on the American GSD Rescue website in Alabama.

Alabama

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was looking on the GSR of Alabama lost and found and the dog "Boone" that has been missing since 2006 actually looks very much like Buddy, right down to the little scar on his nose.
I'll keep this in mind. If we can't find anyone to take him, this may be a back up plan. To maybe call these people and ask if they ever yfound Boone and that I may have seen him.

@ShepherdMon: Thank you. Very appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.