I just wanted to share our Personal Story.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I just wanted to share our Personal Story..

I just wanted to say how happy I am to have stumbled across this forum googling something about my GSD.

I moved into my own apartment in March with my boyfriend, with each of us leaving a furry family pet behind with our parents. I was really itching for another dog, especially since he mostly works nights and doesn’t get home until late. We don’t live in a bad area at all, I just could use company and feel more safer being left alone with a dog. Starting out, I never saw a German Shepherd in our future, I loved those dog breeds, thought they were beautiful, but I never thought I’d find one in a shelter. I spent days upon days on Petfinder.com looking for dogs in our area and finally found a match, I thought- a fluffy Golden Retriever mix would be at our local Petsmart that weekend. We got ready and I was so excited as we pulled up- only to find there were only Chihuahuas and Beagles. I asked about “Tara,” but they looked at me blankly as if they had no idea what I was talking about. I was pretty upset as I wanted that puppy!

Cody suggested we go to the Humane Society of North Texas, as that is where he adopted his lab mix 6 years earlier. We pulled up and began looking at the older dogs (I’m not one to turn away a dog just because he’s older! All of my rescues have been older dogs.) As we began to look around, I saw and felt no attachment to any of them, I do feel, for me, the right dog will stand out and make itself noticed. Most of these older dogs had no training at all, not even housebroken. We made our way into the puppy room and I went around all the cages and I came to the very last one feeling kinda hopeless. Then, I saw a litter of black puppies with tan feet. There were about 6 in a top kennel and 2 on the bottom. Only ONE jumped up as soon as it saw me and cried to be picked up. As I picked her up, she nuzzled her little head into the small of my neck and I KNEW I found my dog! Only then, did I see she was a German Shepherd! We played with her for about 30 minutes as we filled out adoption paperwork and had to put her back as they do not adopt their dogs until they are spayed or neutered. A few days later, I got to pick my puppy up!

I spent the few days I had to leave her at the shelter trying to find any bit of info I could on the breed. I felt like I was pretty prepared. 3 days after bringing her home, we noticed she had worms. We brought her to the vet and everything else was clear, my puppy was healthy again! 7 days after that, I found her vomiting her food and vomiting clear foamy liquid. I called the vet and said I think I need to bring her in immediately. While at the vet, she threw up 3 more times, and started having diarrhea. They tested her for every kind of worm, but they wanted to check for Parvovirus. I really had no idea what it was, just that it is a known serious puppy illness and that they can die from it. I really started freaking out. I had had this baby for all of 10 days and really loved her, already! The test came back positive. My parents were already against the idea of me taking on a puppy that will turn into a BIG dog soon, so when I called to break the news that she had Parvo, my mom was actually upset I decided to treat her, no matter the outcome! I was very angry with her for that.

Remington was 7 weeks old at this point and the vet told us to be prepared, her immune system may not be able to handle it, however, the test was a weak positive, and that gave him hope. She was immediately put on IV fluids and antibiotics for the remainder of their office day (about 3 hours) and the vet actually said we would be able to take her home, and to call his personal number at any time if something happens, and to bring her back in tomorrow. We went through the night with no problems! We brought her back in at 6:30 am(he came early for us) and left her in his care until 12:30 pm when they close. We were able to take her home again! He again said make sure she is getting plenty of fluids, and recommended Pedialyte along with a soft food he gave us to have her eat. She had no interest in anything. I had to give her Pedialyte through a syringe, that she tried to fight off everytime. Saturday night, she seemed to be a lot better, getting her energy back and wanting to play. I tried to see if she would be interested in food, and she gobbled it up! I was so happy. Sunday came around and since the vet was not open, he again said to call him if anything happens. Everything was fine, until around suppertime, she wanted to eat, and she did- a little bit. Then she started throwing up again, and the diarrhea was back. I called the vet freaking out, he said IF it continues, she needs to go the Emergency Animal Clinic down the road. Thankfully, she did not throw up again! Monday, we brought her back in for more IV fluids and abx treatments and I left her there for the day as I worked. At noon, I had a missed call from their office and started to worry as I called them back. The vet tech was only calling to let me know that Remy was doing absolutely better than fine, keeping everything down and having regular poops. She even pulled out her own catheter before they got the chance to! I was so happy and grateful to have them taking care of her (and us!) during this ordeal.

Now, Remy is a healthy 9 month old pup. Before I found this forum, for the past couple months, I had been debating on if she could really be happy with us growing up, and if we could really understand her and tame her. I spent weeks wondering if I had gotten myself in too deep with this dog, that while I love so much, also terrorizes me! We spent so much time and money into her, be it vet bills or training classes. I really felt like I failed this dog, and she was failing me up until she turned 9 months this month.

It’s like a switch came on, and while I know we have a long road to a calmer dog, I am much happier being able to read ALL of these wonderful advice and information threads knowing I can find help here when I need it.

Sorry so long, and KUDOS to anyone who made it this far, I just wanted to share my story and say how grateful I am to have found this site as my pup and I continue to learn and understand each other!

Now, some pictures for your time!!
Attached Thumbnails
I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-remy3-copy.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-1.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-2.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-3.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-4.jpg  

I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-5.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-6.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-7.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-8.jpg   I just wanted to share our Personal Story..-photo-9.jpg  

lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a harrowing beginning! But you've made it through the worst of everything, and now have a great relationship with your pup! She's a beauty, i love the blurry picture. I can just imagine ... sit still dangit! NOPE!!!

A piece of advice if you haven't changed it already - I noticed a rawhide in the fourth pic (Remington on the green leather chair) ... rawhides can be very very dangerous for dogs. They can chew off a piece and swallow it, causing an obstruction.

Enjoy your puppy! You've cleared the hurdles!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like you have had quite a challenging experience so far. I'm glad that you stuck with it (I'm sure Remy's glad that you stuck with it).

You still have a long way to go with your pup, but in the end it will be so worth it. I feel that sometimes the hardest challenges will reap the biggest rewards, I hope that this will be the case for you.

Thanks for giving your girl a chance
Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
What a harrowing beginning! But you've made it through the worst of everything, and now have a great relationship with your pup! She's a beauty, i love the blurry picture. I can just imagine ... sit still dangit! NOPE!!!

A piece of advice if you haven't changed it already - I noticed a rawhide in the fourth pic (Remington on the green leather chair) ... rawhides can be very very dangerous for dogs. They can chew off a piece and swallow it, causing an obstruction.

Enjoy your puppy! You've cleared the hurdles!!!
Thank you! OH! And she is actually off rawhide bones and on nylabones/greenies/bully sticks for a few months now!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
Sounds like you have had quite a challenging experience so far. I'm glad that you stuck with it (I'm sure Remy's glad that you stuck with it).

You still have a long way to go with your pup, but in the end it will be so worth it. I feel that sometimes the hardest challenges will reap the biggest rewards, I hope that this will be the case for you.

Thanks for giving your girl a chance
I'm very thankful I stuck with her, I couldn't imagine my life without her in it! It would be very boring ;-)

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great story. Loved the pics. She is a beautiful girl. Thank you for saving her life.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love a story with a happy ending!

Remy's a beautiful young lady, I'm so glad you were able to adopt her, nurse her thru parvo, and give her a loving home.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Welcome to the Wonderful World Of German Shepherds. Once you enter, you never leave. Your pup is beautiful!!!
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank y'all. I get so many compliments on her! I feel so proud, lol

Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Big Congrats on your beautiful puppy!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.