German Shepherds Forum banner

We Had To Call 911!!

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  RileyMay 
#1 ·
So me and my mom are sitting on the couch watching A Christmas Carol, and my little brothers are watching their shows in their room and playing. I got up to grab me a taco and a drink, and then I sat right back down. When I sat down I saw two guys and one girl starring at my house and then my neighbors house. I got this awful gut feeling and I got up, put the long line on Riley, and brought her into the living room. They walked on down to this house and then the two guys walked back, together, with bags on them, wearing black, and camouflage. They started walking towards my house and then the next thing I know Riley jumped out of the door window, growling and barking at them (I was holding her leash)! She was throwing a fit!!

My mom called 911 and I got the description of the people! Then the two guys went towards the highway. One guy stopped and said"Uh...HELLO!" He was starring at me and stood at the edge of the concrete, basically on my porch. Riley still throwing a fit, and then he ran off towards his buddy. The police arrived and I gave them the description of them all, and they know exactly who I am talking about. They have seen them before and they have shown some suspicious behavior too. I am totally freaked out.

My dad left to Dallas Texas today (early this morning) for a business trip. Thankfully my brother is staying over here and he's sleeping on the couch, but I am still shaken up and can't sleep whatsoever. I have thoughts running through my head and I'm trying to think of good thoughts, but knowing that the police are searching for them at this very moment is so nerve wracking...They searched my neighborhood and found nothing, so they're continuing the search. I just can't tell you how freaked out I am right now...Like...I feel sick freaked out...:sick:

See less See more
#3 ·
That is VERY scary!! They saw/heard Riley though, right? I doubt they would want the hassle of trying to come into a house with a GSD living in it.

#4 ·
It happens more often then people think. I dispatch police/fire/ems and answer 911 for 8 years now. These types of things happen all year round but more so during holidays and big storms when people leave their homes or have a ton of extra items avail for the taking. You did a great job of getting description and direction of travel! Those are teh best things you can do to help locate the subjects! Good job! Also always keep yourself and family out of danger and your pets too many of them have no care about hurting another human or animal especially when they are on drugs!

#6 ·
Good job Riley!
Hope the police catch those people. Sounds like you did great too, with the info you were able to provide the police.
This is one reason that I like having a big dog, even if they wouldn't actually do anything.....I think they are a good preventative.

#8 ·
Not to hijack this thread: We see a lot of "salesmen" during this time of year. They come to homes in the early evening, but they aren't really selling anything. They are looking in your home and casing it to see if 1. You are home or not 2. If you have stuff they want to take 3. If you have a dog or alarm system.

We put up a No Solicitors sign and they will still come to the door. I have called the police numerous times to report these incidents. I do believe that Scarlett is among the best deterrants we have.

If you have a non-emergency telephone number for your local police, you can report suspicious activity, even when a crime is not in progress. Because of the home invasion epidemic in our area, they will dispatch an officer if they can to come to the area and look for the person.

You did the right thing calling 911, obviously. Riley did her job too.

#10 ·
They were surely scared off by Riley. A similar thing happened to us last summer. Two guys and a girl dressed in black and camouflage roaming in and out of yards in the neighborhood. Wolfie went insane before we even saw them. We called 911 as well. They told the cops they were looking for their dog. Right, in people's windows? The cops took them away but we didn't hear if they were arrested or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.