Life expectancy of a Rawhide Bone with your GSD? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chrono will eat absolutely anything, but not rawhides. It doesn't matter how good they smell he won't touch them.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
give her femur bone istead, rawhides are bad for them it expands in their stomachs and can cause instesntinal blockage. and get her chew toys..or bully sticks
I agree no rawhide, but weight-bearing bones are not to be used either, from my understanding, they are much too hard and can cause fractures of the teeth.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow....a lot of people are against rawhides, weight baring and any other kind of bone. Gem can rip through a rawhide fairly quickly she sometimes hides them under my pillow or in between the couch cushions for later. She loves femurs and those last quiete awhile. Her absolute favorite is pigs ears, she tear through those in just a few minutes.

I hope everyone is caring for themselves as much as caring for there dogs . Beans are known to cause bloating. Nicotine can cause cancer. Processed food is not natural and please watch out for those MSGs. To much sugar is unhealthy. haha im just kidding with you all.... I'll let you all point at me and say I told you so if Gem has a problem with a rawhide or other bone.
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Is a marrow bone a weight-bearing bone?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"I hope everyone is caring for themselves as much as caring for there dogs . Beans are known to cause bloating. Nicotine can cause cancer. Processed food is not natural and please watch out for those MSGs. To much sugar is unhealthy. haha im just kidding with you all.... I'll let you all point at me and say I told you so if Gem has a problem with a rawhide or other bone. "

Yes they can . But you take your welfare into your hands , you choose to weigh the risk factor , you make the informed consent to that risk. A dog can not . We make those decisions.
I know first hand the damage these chew goodies can do. A top winning competitive obedience dog of mine was treated by his owner with pigs ears -- when they opened him up on the operating table so much tissue was already necrotized there was not enough left for the dog to function -- they let him continue his "sleep" .
I have seen the saponified muck from rawhide -- it is slime , toxic , the dog goes into shock.
Marrow bones are weight bearing .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post

Yes they can . But you take your welfare into your hands , you choose to weigh the risk factor , you make the informed consent to that risk. A dog can not . We make those decisions.
I know first hand the damage these chew goodies can do. A top winning competitive obedience dog of mine was treated by his owner with pigs ears -- when they opened him up on the operating table so much tissue was already necrotized there was not enough left for the dog to function -- they let him continue his "sleep" .
I have seen the saponified muck from rawhide -- it is slime , toxic , the dog goes into shock.
Marrow bones are weight bearing .
... .... .... I suppose, i should stop with the pig ears and raw hides. Also, I did a google search after I posted that and I don't even want to discuss what I found. SOOOO....what are good bones to give our GSDs then?
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

not much .

If you want to give a crunchy bone give them frozen chicken necks -- or natural bully sticks , or natural wind pipe .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnershigh108 View Post

I hope everyone is caring for themselves as much as caring for there dogs . Beans are known to cause bloating.
Not even close. I freely acknowledge that I feed Gabe better than myself.

Also, neck bones have been a hit with us. My local grocery store has beef and pork neck bones all the time for $.79 - $.99 per pound depending on the type and timing.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
But you take your welfare into your hands , you choose to weigh the risk factor , you make the informed consent to that risk. A dog can not . We make those decisions.
This exactly.
It's like buying your kid Capn' Crunch instead of wholesome cheerios or fruit.

We take care of our dogs because they don't know how to. We can choose to ignore the fat and calorie content of a triple-cheeseburger and eat that instead of a salad; dogs (and kids) rely on us to make wise decisions for them.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnershigh108 View Post
I hope everyone is caring for themselves as much as caring for there dogs . Beans are known to cause bloating. Nicotine can cause cancer. Processed food is not natural and please watch out for those MSGs. To much sugar is unhealthy. haha im just kidding with you all....
Actually, you shouldn't be kidding.

This day and age, people do stuff themselves with things that are not considered "food." Food should feed you, and 90% of the crap that is in grocery stores does not do that.

It isn't about processed food being unnatural. There are plenty of natural things that can kill you.

Are there are people out there who scarf only Doritos and hot dogs and binge on McDonald's while feeding their dog a nice raw diet?

I'm sure there are.

But many of us who give our dogs real food also do watch our own intake, as well.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.