Just saved a 4 month male - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #61 (permalink)

So it's been 3 weeks since we brought Jack into our lives and its been great. He's grown bigtime in weight from 37.5lbs to 42 plus he's taller. His hair has grown a bit more. I'm guessing winter. I started him on basic obedience lessons on Friday and he's got sit and come pretty good. My dogs trainer used to be around GSD's all her life. Her father bred them and was a K9 cop. He also trained them. As soon as she walked in she fell in love with his color and his personality. She said he's definitily an American black and red GSD. She also told me he needs to work for something because he has high drive for it. He'd be a good candidate as a K9 dog.

Interesting enough she told me a lot of things about GSD's that I read on here so I'm glad I hired her for training Jack.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master Member

One advice I can give you is you always want to listen to what GatorBytes says, she is very smart, and #1 person on this forum you can trust with good advice. There are many opinions here do your research and do not rely on the vet for nutrition/vaccine/neuter advice. Next time you go to the vet ask what food they recommend for your pup, I bet it will be Purina One large breed or science diet or royal canin, all crap kibble yet the will still recommend it becuase they get paid to do so oh and they will warn you about dangers of raw feeding which is the best food your dog can eat...So please, once again never disregard what GatorBytes says, I don't know who she is but she is very knowledgable also listen to Carmspack on this forum, good luck.

Last edited by julie87; 12-09-2012 at 09:11 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

One thing about this forum is you will get a lot of advice. Some good. Some terrible,and a lot in between along with a dash of controversy (and sometimes someone spills the whole darned shaker in the soup). You need to take whatever advice you find interesting, do your research and make our own informed decisions.

But, hopefully, you hear things you may never have thought about and have some resources here to help you explore them.

That, and consistency in training are the most important things, I think.

A lot of folks feed raw but a lot feed kibble and have healthy dogs. Same with vaccinations/neutering and spaying - there is no concurrence on this forum to any of these things.....

Sounds like you have some good folks to work with at home. That is the really good! I'll add that to help puppy build some muscle running up hills is good.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #64 (permalink)

Nancy I agree and this was also a good post of yours
Advice on Giving and Taking Advice from the Internet/Forums

Jack is a lucky boy! So glad you got him and he's doing well

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
So it's been 3 weeks since we brought Jack into our lives and its been great. He's grown bigtime in weight from 37.5lbs to 42 plus he's taller. His hair has grown a bit more. I'm guessing winter. I started him on basic obedience lessons on Friday and he's got sit and come pretty good. My dogs trainer used to be around GSD's all her life. Her father bred them and was a K9 cop. He also trained them. As soon as she walked in she fell in love with his color and his personality. She said he's definitily an American black and red GSD. She also told me he needs to work for something because he has high drive for it. He'd be a good candidate as a K9 dog.

Interesting enough she told me a lot of things about GSD's that I read on here so I'm glad I hired her for training Jack.
What a great update! So many dogs rejected by their first owners are just gems waiting to be rescued by the right person. Each time you post, he sounds more and more wonderful. And how cool that you found such a knowledgeable and experienced GSD trainer? Enjoy the adventure and the learning experience.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #66 (permalink)

Here are some pics of him which I took yesterday. According to the previous owner right now he should be around 6 months.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #67 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's looking good! His pasterns look much, much stronger!!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #68 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think he might have some West German Show lines in him - the stippling grey grey hairs on his withers is very specific to West German Show lines.

So cute with those Radar ears!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
He's looking good! His pasterns look much, much stronger!!
He's definitely a lot stronger thats for sure. All he does is run when we have him outside lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I think he might have some West German Show lines in him - the stippling grey grey hairs on his withers is very specific to West German Show lines.

So cute with those Radar ears!
Really thats pretty interesting. I was kind of wondering about those hairs. I thought he had something to do with stress lol. His ears are hilarious kind of like a rabbit.

I measured him at 22.5 to the top of his shoulder yesterday at 42.5lbs. I just want him to be a good weight and height considering his past.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #70 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Look at the change! Starting to build some muscle, too!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.