German Shepherds Forum banner

Just saved a 4 month male

13K views 96 replies 27 participants last post by  BellaLuna 
#1 ·
I rescued a 4 month old male GSD on Craigslist this morning. The lady couldn't wait to get rid of him and only for 100! Apparently the GSD was her ex's which went to prison. He was chained up all day in an apartment and he stunk like pee! Just picked him up this morning. He has raw skin spots on his neck from the chain choker which went straight to the garbage. He's black and brown and extremely friendly. My kids love him. I noticed his hind legs look weak. The way he ran in my yard once I brought him home looked weird. I assume its from lack of exercise. Well off to the vet early next week to make sure all is well with him. Ill post pics of him later.

#5 ·
Thanks guys and I guess you can say were both lucky we found each other. Just spoke to his previous owner and hes actually 5 months not 4. Unfortunately she doesn't have his papers so his history to me is really at a zero. Anyways Im sure he will do fine. He is very friendly and very playful as well. I have him in a crate until I have him housebroken which we started working on already.

Also if you guys have any tips or things I should look for or work on let me know since your own GSD owners. I had dogs all my life and my wife but never a GSD. Im assuming he was purchased from a pet store. All the paper work for him was his previous owners ex boyfriend who is in prison supposedly.

Anyways here are some pics of him.

#6 ·
WOW ... demand and you receive!!! I can't see the pics at work, but I'll be sure to check them out this evening at home.

I'm really crappy about posting links in here ... so, here's my suggestion ... go to the link marked FORUMS and scroll down to the puppy part ... there is a TON of info on there about puppies - lots of stickies ... especially the teething / biting part. You'll want those memorized right quick!!!

Have fun!

#12 ·
Re; HD ~ No it's not too early, start now and hopefully he will grow well. Vit.C (ester c)...good quality protien as in real meat and bone (raw) as well as super foods like raw green beef or lamb tripe (essential for digestion) as well as raw eggs 3-4 x per week...if you cannot do raw, then at leasst add these, if he doesn't tolerate eggs raw, lightly scramble in touch butter or raw organic cold pressed coconut oil. Add this to his diet too...brain fuel....can include a fish body Omega 3 alternate those for now until bigger.

When you go to the vet - do not fall into the vaccine trap. There are only 3 core vax. and the rest is too much for his fragile immune system...also do not do flea/tick/heartworm prevention at the same time as vaccines.

If the dog wasn't vaccinated by the previous owner Then great! He had a better start in life. If he was, then do not feel to do "just in case" because teh vet said so, it is not perfectly harmless...wait till at least 6 months until his immune system has matured before rabies and do not again for min. 3yrs - also do not do with other vax. and/or while on preventions noted.

Congrats!
Lucky doggie

#13 ·
Eggs are great, I hard boil them, less mess. My dogs love them. If you add one morning and evening, you are adding one of the best animal protein sources to your dog's diet that is easily digestible, and easy to give. You can boil a dozen and a half at a time, and they will last nine days.

Easiest way to give your dog good animal protein, and it won't break the bank. It looks like this little guy has a lot of potential and he is on the right track now.

#17 ·
You definitely lost me there. So your saying don't get him vaccinated or only a few at a time. Rabies shot is mandatory every year so that is a must.
Where do you live (US, Canada?)...AVMA has changed schedule to 3 yrs. Vets are slow to give up the cash cow. If the dog was vax.'d (the others) according to whatever schedule then don't get him done just because...have him titer tested for antibodies instead. Wait on rabies until as long as you can....

don't do rabies with any other drug, vaccine, or illness. Don't do any other vaccines with rabies, drug or illness.

If the dog hasn't been vetted by other, then your dog may stand a better chance of having good health in the future.

#16 ·
Rabies - you will get one at 4-6 months, whatever your state requires. It will be a 1 yr rabies and you will need to redo it at the end of one year. That shot then should be good for 3 years. If you are in a state that allows an exemption, such as NYS, then you may be able to titer and have your vet sign off on the vaccination. Be aware that by doing so, if your dog even so much as scratches someone he may have to be quarantined.

Regular vaccines - at 4 months he should already be done with his series of puppy shots. You may choose to titer at 1 year or vaccinate. Be aware of the AAHA vaccine guidelines and read Dr. Dodds website as well. You do NOT need to vaccinate every year after that. Jax had her puppy, 1 year and then last year, at 4 1/2 yr, I titered. Her immunities are high enough she should never need another vaccine.

#18 ·
Its not just vets not wanting to give up the cash, not all states are on the three yr schedule, here you have to have a rabies vac. once a year by law. Everything else though isn't required.

Congrats on the pup, he sure is a cutie!

#19 ·
Its not just vets not wanting to give up the cash, not all states are on the three yr schedule, here you have to have a rabies vac. once a year by law. Everything else though isn't required.

Congrats on the pup, he sure is a cutie!
Have you checked w/your local state laws, or just going by your vet? Back before I found a holistic vet, my first vet (conventional), the tech called to advise of annual rabies due...I said, well it isn't necessary and she said well it's the law every year and it is needed...I said the AVMA changed to every 3, why haven't you....she said...Well. 2 yrs then (in a huff). Needless to say, I didn't go back. They tried 2 more times and gave up....funniest was when I called for his blood work records and they said they were't sure if I could have them...WELL!!!!!!:censored:

#20 ·
HDO NOT TITER at 16 months - give the boosters!!!!!!!!!! THEN go on a 3 year cycle!!!! One of my pups DIED OF DISTEMPER because the 1 year booster {puppy series ends at 4 mo, then 12 months to 1st booster} was either skipped due to titer or given too late!

My vets are on the schedule of - puppy series, then rabies {not at same time as any other vaccines} and a booster 12 months after the vaccines....THEN 3 year cycle/titers....

Lee

#23 ·
HDO NOT TITER at 16 months - give the boosters!!!!!!!!!! THEN go on a 3 year cycle!!!! One of my pups DIED OF DISTEMPER because the 1 year booster {puppy series ends at 4 mo, then 12 months to 1st booster} was either skipped due to titer or given too late!

My vets are on the schedule of - puppy series, then rabies {not at same time as any other vaccines} and a booster 12 months after the vaccines....THEN 3 year cycle/titers....

Lee
I don't understand this:confused:...was is skipped or was it given. The series is given because of maternal antibodies knocking out the vaccine up to approx. 6 months to a year...if the dog had antibodies via a titer at 16months old and then got a vax. (this would be the too late part), then it died from the vaccine as some get vaccine induced disease. This would support what all the advocates against vaccines are saying in their articles.

#27 ·
He is a black and tan and as he ages much of his black will probably fade to tan in color. He may get redder as well but is still considered a B&T. Not knowing his lines, however...he may just stay that blanket back pattern.

#24 ·
He's a great looking pup! Thanks for getting him off of the chain. Be sure to wash the sores on his neck and, if you have it, you can put some extra virgin coconut oil on them and they will heal up quickly. You can also get a front clip harness to use for walking while the sores are healing.

No Ester C for a pup--too much calcium. You can get him on a joint support product though.

Be sure he gets plenty of walks and gentle exercise to build up those pasterns and his joints.

#26 ·
I said years ago that most dogs are over vaccinated. Where I am rabies is mandatory, but they do recognize the 3 year, which is about the same dose as the 1 year(per the vet themselves) They also have 3 year distemper shots here too. Last year for shots my 8 year old got a three year rabies only. She has had a rabies and distemper vaccination every year(I wasn't educated enough..I just had thoughts on the subject). My golden was 2 at the time...he had his puppy boosters, first rabies shot, then at a year another rabies and distemper. Year two he got a three year rabies and a three year distemper. I will keep going with the 3 year rabies forever, but he will only get one more 3 year distemper..just to make sure. The GSD had her puppy shots and her rabies. This year I will get a three year distemper and rabies...continue on with the three year rabies and will get one more(maybe 2) 3 year distemper shots..then she will be done with the distemper too.

#29 ·
All I can say is that this pup is to good to be true. This is our third day with him and all I can say is wow. Once he sleeps through the night in his crate without a single whine. He likes my cat. He is extremely friendly with everyone. He is responding to his name (Jack). He also loves to be pet. I was expecting him to have problems considering his prior living situation but nothing. He loves playing with kids. Its too funny.

I am a bit curious though. Does he look like an American or German type GSD? I read that the American's back has a downward slope and the German a straight back? I can't really tell with Jack is it because he is still young? Not that it bothers me one bit but being he doesn't have any papers its really just the curiousity.

#31 ·
I got mine on Craigslist too, she was about 12 weeks old. I couldn't have gotten a better dog:) Just keep going with the training and socialization. When I see my dog with the smaller kids my first thought is what a wonderful family pet these dogs make. I can't help you with the lines, just enjoy him:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.