Just saved a 4 month male - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

The downward slope has much to do with how the dog is stacked. It also has to do with breeding, but there are many very moderate looking dogs that are completely pure-bred. Good thing too! Over doing the sloping back (which is really a function of the length of the back leg bones and the angles of the joints), can really impact a dog's ability to move around in a normal fashion.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #42 (permalink)

Ah thanks for the explanation. I thought him having a straight back meant that he probably wasn't a pure bread.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Just got him micro chipped over at Petco and got him vaccinated according to Dr. Dodds list. The staff fell in love with him and actually told me he's quite large for 5 months?? He has to get a rabbies shot on his next visit. Its the law they stated. Once he hits 6 months Im going to get him neutered. Im not crazy about snipping but from I have always heard its healthier for him and why not since obviously he's not going to do the nice nice. Also my wife and I noticed his hind legs seem a lot better now then the day we got him.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
Ah thanks for the explanation. I thought him having a straight back meant that he probably wasn't a pure bread.
Just so know it's purebred ... not bread ... you can't toast your dog

I'll post a pic of my GSD ... who has quite the straight back, and is most definitely a purebred!
Attached Thumbnails
Just saved a 4 month male-p1060672.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Just so know it's purebred ... not bread ... you can't toast your dog

I'll post a pic of my GSD ... who has quite the straight back, and is most definitely a purebred!
Hahaha didn't even notice! Thanks for pointing that out. Actually he has the color of toast black and brown lol.

Great looking dog! I have to admit its a bit confusing with all these different lines of GSD's. Wish I had his papers.

Last edited by Justaguy; 11-25-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
Just got him micro chipped over at Petco and got him vaccinated according to Dr. Dodds list. The staff fell in love with him and actually told me he's quite large for 5 months?? He has to get a rabbies shot on his next visit. Its the law they stated. Once he hits 6 months Im going to get him neutered. Im not crazy about snipping but from I have always heard its healthier for him and why not since obviously he's not going to do the nice nice. Also my wife and I noticed his hind legs seem a lot better now then the day we got him.
Please let him grow up before you neuter him...he needs those hormones to develop properly. UNLESS you cannot be responsible for him escaping and causing an oops litter, there is no reason to rush to neuter. My male is 3.5 and intact, you'd never know it from his attitude, he is well behaved and doesn't mark inappropriately
Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

You should call him raisin bread then LMAO ... he's a cutie!!! I'm sure once he gets good food, lots of exercise and all that jazz, he'll grow up to be a great looking dog! Just remember he's going to go through growth spurts. So one day he'll look super lanky and gawky and you'll be like: what the heck??? And then a couple of weeks later he'll fill out! All part of the natural development from puppy hood to adult hood .. (remember when you were a developing teenager ... same thing for your pup!)

Enjoy these moments, they are precious and definitely frustrating at times, but those precious moments far outweigh the frustrating ones!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Please let him grow up before you neuter him...he needs those hormones to develop properly. UNLESS you cannot be responsible for him escaping and causing an oops litter, there is no reason to rush to neuter. My male is 3.5 and intact, you'd never know it from his attitude, he is well behaved and doesn't mark inappropriately
I second Onyx. It is responsible to get him neutered, however wait until his immune system has fully matured - also - no surgeries with 6 months of a vaccination.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
You should call him raisin bread then LMAO ... he's a cutie!!! I'm sure once he gets good food, lots of exercise and all that jazz, he'll grow up to be a great looking dog! Just remember he's going to go through growth spurts. So one day he'll look super lanky and gawky and you'll be like: what the heck??? And then a couple of weeks later he'll fill out! All part of the natural development from puppy hood to adult hood .. (remember when you were a developing teenager ... same thing for your pup!)

Enjoy these moments, they are precious and definitely frustrating at times, but those precious moments far outweigh the frustrating ones!!!!
Yeah I bet and I'm looking forward to it. Frustrating ain't the word. Woke up at 6 to poop and pee in his crate and I took him out 2am! Had to give him a second bath in four days. Don't want to dry out his skin but can't have him smelling like pee either. Five months and can't control his bladder and pooping. Guess he was used to releaving himself and laying in it since he was chained up all day and night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
I second Onyx. It is responsible to get him neutered, however wait until his immune system has fully matured - also - no surgeries with 6 months of a vaccination.
Great then Ill wait till he is a year. Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your vet will push for neuter, so be ready. There are threads on that subject too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.