Just saved a 4 month male - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

A lot of opinions on vaccinations. I'm going to go by that Dr. dodds chart..

Is he black and red or Black and Tan. Everyone that's seen him today say he's more on the red side.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Have you checked w/your local state laws, or just going by your vet? Back before I found a holistic vet, my first vet (conventional), the tech called to advise of annual rabies due...I said, well it isn't necessary and she said well it's the law every year and it is needed...I said the AVMA changed to every 3, why haven't you....she said...Well. 2 yrs then (in a huff). Needless to say, I didn't go back. They tried 2 more times and gave up....funniest was when I called for his blood work records and they said they were't sure if I could have them...WELL!!!!!!

I went and looked it up to double check, TN recognizes the three year, however, it does not override local law. So a city/county can enforce a rabies vac. once a year if they so wish. Sadly, the city I am in does just that. :/
GSDolch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
HDO NOT TITER at 16 months - give the boosters!!!!!!!!!! THEN go on a 3 year cycle!!!! One of my pups DIED OF DISTEMPER because the 1 year booster {puppy series ends at 4 mo, then 12 months to 1st booster} was either skipped due to titer or given too late!

My vets are on the schedule of - puppy series, then rabies {not at same time as any other vaccines} and a booster 12 months after the vaccines....THEN 3 year cycle/titers....

Lee
I don't understand this...was is skipped or was it given. The series is given because of maternal antibodies knocking out the vaccine up to approx. 6 months to a year...if the dog had antibodies via a titer at 16months old and then got a vax. (this would be the too late part), then it died from the vaccine as some get vaccine induced disease. This would support what all the advocates against vaccines are saying in their articles.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's a great looking pup! Thanks for getting him off of the chain. Be sure to wash the sores on his neck and, if you have it, you can put some extra virgin coconut oil on them and they will heal up quickly. You can also get a front clip harness to use for walking while the sores are healing.

No Ester C for a pup--too much calcium. You can get him on a joint support product though.

Be sure he gets plenty of walks and gentle exercise to build up those pasterns and his joints.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post
I went and looked it up to double check, TN recognizes the three year, however, it does not override local law. So a city/county can enforce a rabies vac. once a year if they so wish. Sadly, the city I am in does just that. :/

ah geez...that's too bad. There is the rabies challenge however...could try and change, write your city.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I said years ago that most dogs are over vaccinated. Where I am rabies is mandatory, but they do recognize the 3 year, which is about the same dose as the 1 year(per the vet themselves) They also have 3 year distemper shots here too. Last year for shots my 8 year old got a three year rabies only. She has had a rabies and distemper vaccination every year(I wasn't educated enough..I just had thoughts on the subject). My golden was 2 at the time...he had his puppy boosters, first rabies shot, then at a year another rabies and distemper. Year two he got a three year rabies and a three year distemper. I will keep going with the 3 year rabies forever, but he will only get one more 3 year distemper..just to make sure. The GSD had her puppy shots and her rabies. This year I will get a three year distemper and rabies...continue on with the three year rabies and will get one more(maybe 2) 3 year distemper shots..then she will be done with the distemper too.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
A lot of opinions on vaccinations. I'm going to go by that Dr. dodds chart..

Is he black and red or Black and Tan. Everyone that's seen him today say he's more on the red side.
He is a black and tan and as he ages much of his black will probably fade to tan in color. He may get redder as well but is still considered a B&T. Not knowing his lines, however...he may just stay that blanket back pattern.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

What handsome little pup. Some good food, and lots of loving and your gonna have yourself a great dog. Thanks for rescuing him and good luck!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #29 (permalink)

All I can say is that this pup is to good to be true. This is our third day with him and all I can say is wow. Once he sleeps through the night in his crate without a single whine. He likes my cat. He is extremely friendly with everyone. He is responding to his name (Jack). He also loves to be pet. I was expecting him to have problems considering his prior living situation but nothing. He loves playing with kids. Its too funny.

I am a bit curious though. Does he look like an American or German type GSD? I read that the American's back has a downward slope and the German a straight back? I can't really tell with Jack is it because he is still young? Not that it bothers me one bit but being he doesn't have any papers its really just the curiousity.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #30 (permalink)

I just weighed him so he's 37.50lbs. Is that a good weight at 5 months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.