German Shepherds Forum banner

Avoiding crazy children with dumb parents

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  harmony 
#1 ·
I took Rocky on his usual late night potty break before bed, around my apartment building. The lights are out so it is VERY dark and I always have my mace just in case. Rocky usually picks up on the tension and is very alert.

He has his leg lifted on a tree when from between two parked cars, someone runs up flailing their arms and screaming "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! ITS A GERMAN SHEPHERD! *more high pitched screaming*

I thought Rocky and I were going to poop ourselves, we were so shocked.

Rocky doesn't have good night vision and doesn't recognize my boyfriend or I until he can smell us or we speak :( So I said "SIT" in my firmest voice and stepped between him and what turned out to be a 10 year old girl.

I chastised her instantly, saying "Do not EVER run up to a strangers dog, especially at night! Where are your parents??" She points to her parents standing obliviously across the street, who don't even realize their kid is missing. I felt bad for chastising her and I said "I got my german shepherd because he protects me and scares away bad guys. If I let everyone pet him at night time then he will start wagging his tail when he sees people come up and a bad guy won't be scared away. Why don't you come back tomorrow in the day time and you can pet him and give him a treat?"

(Honestly, he just isn't comfortable with people petting him at night when he can't see them, but I thought the previous explanation was easier for the girl to understand)

The little girl said "OK" then RAN into the middle of the street back towards her parents, where a car slammed on its breaks and missed hitting her by about 10 feet. (too close in my opinion) I live in a college apartment complex where half the people are drinking and driving and most of the people are speeding through the parking lot.

What crappy parents. When she got back to where they were, her mom said "Oh, where did you go?"

I hope she remembers my stern voice telling her not to run up to strangers dogs in the future since she will obviously never hear this from her mom.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
lol 2 funny

yeah its the parents that make them that way they tell them to run everywhere and do what u want

where did you go? did you talk to a strange man? did you go into his house? was it fun? silly girl!

They dont care what their kids do.

Good that you told her how bad it is to run up to a strange dog though.

#4 · (Edited)
Omg this tittle reminds me of a previous experience with my previous service dog Suki (Akita now retired to a friends farm).

I was at walmart with my girl. She was walking in a heal at my side and I was in an electric cart. Without warning she jumped forward and turned to look behind me with a bazaar look on her face. I turned to look and there was a young child (3 or 4) looking as surprised as my Suki. I got her back into heel and as she turned her tail curled back up again and I saw something in her rear. I grabbed it and she went forward again leaving a charm sucker in my hand. What what could I do. I turned the cart and started talking to the parents of the child but not before returning the sucker to the child.

I explained to them that not every dog in a service vest is a real service dog. I've personally been charged by many impostor dogs and they should be more careful with their little boy around them. They assured me he is never out of their sight for even a moment. That they would never allow him to approach a strange dog. I just nodded and listened as the little boy continued to enjoy his charms. When they were done I informed them on what had happened. Finishing up with "But don't worry I returned his sucker. But I can't guarantee the flavor anymore"

#5 ·
I took Rocky on his usual late night potty break before bed, around my apartment building. The lights are out so it is VERY dark and I always have my mace just in case. Rocky usually picks up on the tension and is very alert.

He has his leg lifted on a tree when from between two parked cars, someone runs up flailing their arms and screaming "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! ITS A GERMAN SHEPHERD! *more high pitched screaming*

I thought Rocky and I were going to poop ourselves, we were so shocked.

Rocky doesn't have good night vision and doesn't recognize my boyfriend or I until he can smell us or we speak :( So I said "SIT" in my firmest voice and stepped between him and what turned out to be a 10 year old girl.

I chastised her instantly, saying "Do not EVER run up to a strangers dog, especially at night! Where are your parents??" She points to her parents standing obliviously across the street, who don't even realize their kid is missing. I felt bad for chastising her and I said "I got my german shepherd because he protects me and scares away bad guys. If I let everyone pet him at night time then he will start wagging his tail when he sees people come up and a bad guy won't be scared away. Why don't you come back tomorrow in the day time and you can pet him and give him a treat?"

(Honestly, he just isn't comfortable with people petting him at night when he can't see them, but I thought the previous explanation was easier for the girl to understand)

The little girl said "OK" then RAN into the middle of the street back towards her parents, where a car slammed on its breaks and missed hitting her by about 10 feet. (too close in my opinion) I live in a college apartment complex where half the people are drinking and driving and most of the people are speeding through the parking lot.

What crappy parents. When she got back to where they were, her mom said "Oh, where did you go?"

I hope she remembers my stern voice telling her not to run up to strangers dogs in the future since she will obviously never hear this from her mom.

Help and doing things for kids they are not as dumb as their parents are crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.