Beauty Fades; Dumb Is Forever - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I understand your frustration,but I wouldn't have left. It sounds like you just gave him what he wanted.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

The ONLY thing I see wrong with what the other person did was not ask you if your dogs were friendly / ok to socialize ... otherwise, the way I read it is that he was doing the same thing you were doing ... on public property with your dogs off leash ...

Sorry, I don't see the reason to rant and rave ...
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should be flattered, all he did was assume you weren't an idiot who would run two aggressive dogs off leash in a public area. If I see someone doing that with their dogs, it is not ridiculous to think the dogs aren't aggressive.

He's not 'lucky' that you kept your dogs people and dog friendly. If you are running them off-leash in a public area in your vehicle that should be a given.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
The ONLY thing I see wrong with what the other person did was not ask you if your dogs were friendly / ok to socialize ... otherwise, the way I read it is that he was doing the same thing you were doing ... on public property with your dogs off leash ...

Sorry, I don't see the reason to rant and rave ...
I agree. It was public property. If it was private property then I would have an issue but he as just as much right to be there as you do.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

I guess the way I see it is it works both ways. If I can get away with running my dogs off leash (or even on) then why can't someone else? If I don't want to do it with other dogs around then it's on me to leave. Yes it would be courteous for people to ask first but I don't expect they will. I personally do not let my dogs off leash in public areas unless they are safe being off leash with strangers and other dogs.

When I was training my dogs for their ADs I would go to a large cemetery and bike my dogs on the paved road (on leash!) around the largest loop. This lady would come daily and let her lab out to run around, peeing on peoples gravestones. She would stay in her car and just drive around after her dog while it was running offleash. One time I was there biking my dog (on a 6' leash) and her dog charged over to us. My dog just ignored it and I kept on going. Her dog chased us and would not listen to her, it took her a long time to get it back under control but hey that's not my problem. If it's a public place then it's a public place. I wasn't going to ask her permission to jog my dogs on leash on the pavement. If I had a problem with her dog I would have left.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
This lady would come daily and let her lab out to run around, peeing on peoples gravestones. She would stay in her car and just drive around after her dog while it was running offleash.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

So...really, your mad at him doing the same thing you were doing?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I guess the way I see it is it works both ways. If I can get away with running my dogs off leash (or even on) then why can't someone else? If I don't want to do it with other dogs around then it's on me to leave. Yes it would be courteous for people to ask first but I don't expect they will. I personally do not let my dogs off leash in public areas unless they are safe being off leash with strangers and other dogs.

When I was training my dogs for their ADs I would go to a large cemetery and bike my dogs on the paved road (on leash!) around the largest loop. This lady would come daily and let her lab out to run around, peeing on peoples gravestones. She would stay in her car and just drive around after her dog while it was running offleash. One time I was there biking my dog (on a 6' leash) and her dog charged over to us. My dog just ignored it and I kept on going. Her dog chased us and would not listen to her, it took her a long time to get it back under control but hey that's not my problem. If it's a public place then it's a public place. I wasn't going to ask her permission to jog my dogs on leash on the pavement. If I had a problem with her dog I would have left.
So this lady was just letting her dog run loose while she followed it in a car? Why on earth would someone do that?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

In my case, yes, she would pull in, open the door and let the dog out, then drive around slow while the dog ran around. The dog chased me and my dog (me on my bike, my dog on a leash) but never tried to bite so I just let it chase us and she had to try to catch it
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
I can drive the car slow while they run, wrestle and play.
I'm sorry, I kinda got stumped on this sentence. If you are in an area that your pups are allowed off leash, why wouldn't you just walk along with them? Or if you are handicapped and can't, then couldn't you just sit and allow them to run off some steam?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.