Puppy attacked by two other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Rosa
Default Puppy attacked by two other dogs

So I was walking my 15 week old puppy this evening on the beach, it was very quiet only me and Maverick and an older lady walking her two dogs further up the beach.

One of the dogs ran down to us and Maverick greeted him by licking him and wagging his tail, we continue walking but the other dog follows behind next thing I know the other dog is over aswell, Maverick just wagged his tail and I went to call him to come on (he is on a short leash) when the bigger of the dogs nips his leg and he falls over, Maverick starts whinging and crying while the two dogs now started nipping at him while he is lying on his back so I kicked them off him and picked him up into my arms so the other dogs start jumping up and nipping me trying to get at Maverick.

Not once did I hear the owner call them but I could see her literally strolling over towards her while her two dogs were jumping and nipping me, I was clearly struggling as I was kicking her dogs away while Maverick was crying.

Once she got to me she just says "I'm sorry this doesn't usually happen it's probably because it's a boy"

Are you kidding me like!?

What I'm really worried about is has all my socialization work been ruined now!

How do I deal with this to make sure he doesn't become scarred of other dogs?
Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My golden was attacked by a Rott at about the same age. The Rott pinned him and he was crying...I will never forget the crying. The crying seemed to make the Rott more upset. In my case the owner of the Rott did nothing but cry...literally she stood there crying. I was on the ground holding the Rott's mouth open so he couldn't bite down completely on my puppy's head. The owner did pay all the vet bills and I continued on with the socialization like nothing happened. I watched him like a hawk around other dogs, but I didn't baby him. 2.5 years later he is just fine and loves all other dogs.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok, let's get this straight.

You were out with your puppy and some other dogs came in and got rough with him.

You stepped in and forced the other dogs to get away from your puppy.

From the puppy's point of view, his Person protected him from other dogs. This means he can count on you to protect him. Good. It is NOT good that this happened. But it IS good that you were able to protect him. Now you just have to step out with confidence, and continue like this never happened.

If you puppy has confidence in you to protect him, he will probably not become dog aggressive or people aggressive.

So I do not think your socialization efforts went south. Yes, we would hope these things do not happen, in a perfect world they would not. Just keep going. Don't look back. Dog's live in the present. If you tense up when someone with dogs approaches, your dog will become anxious.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry this happened, too many people are ignorant or oblivious of their dogs limitations. Hopefully Maverick will have no problems associated with this attack. If he does show some signs of DA or fear, you can work through it. We are doing this now with Zoey. She was attacked 3 times as a pup and became quite aggressive toward other dogs. DW has been introducing her to some of our friends dogs for a while now and its going better than I'd expected. I came home from work yesterday to a young GSD walking around our living room amongst my own two, it was awesome to see her doing so well. I thought she'd have to be "managed". I'm glad I was wrong.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Rosa

Thanks for the advice and sharing your stories aswell, I have bought him out walking this morning as normal, met dogs along the way and he didn't take much notice of them and he wasn't fearful of them approaching either so it is looking ok

I already have one reactive GSD..which I worked on alot and has improved from lunging, barking at other dogs passing to just a puffed out chest without barking.

I really don't want do the same with Maverick, this time i'm getting the socialization and training right!
Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wow! That is a hard place to be and I do not know how I would react. Either risk more harm to your puppy by setting it down in order to kill the attacking dog or stand there protecting and shielding your baby from further harm while fending off the attack. That's a tough situation and thankfully I've not yet been there. The owner of the last attacking dog snapped out of their daze when I threatened to tear its jaw out if they didn't control it. Thankfully my dog had only puncture wounds. I still rage when I think about it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Ok, let's get this straight.

You were out with your puppy and some other dogs came in and got rough with him.

You stepped in and forced the other dogs to get away from your puppy.

From the puppy's point of view, his Person protected him from other dogs. This means he can count on you to protect him. Good. It is NOT good that this happened. But it IS good that you were able to protect him. Now you just have to step out with confidence, and continue like this never happened.

If you puppy has confidence in you to protect him, he will probably not become dog aggressive or people aggressive.

So I do not think your socialization efforts went south. Yes, we would hope these things do not happen, in a perfect world they would not. Just keep going. Don't look back. Dog's live in the present. If you tense up when someone with dogs approaches, your dog will become anxious.
Great post!!!!

I was out with Kyleigh and twice she had dogs "rush" over to her, scare the crap out her, One time, she was pinned so fast my head spun (thankfully small dog, and easy to manage).

Selzer makes a great point ... I am her defender / protector and Kyleigh knows this.

When we are walking in the neighbourhood and another dog comes racing over (yes, there are still twits that think their dogs will NEVER leave the porch step!) Kyleigh will immediately come into the perfect heel position and we continue our walk - with both of us paying attention. If the dog comes right up to us, we stop, she stops right behind my right leg and I "ward off the evil dog." She's not afraid, she's simply letting ME do MY job ... which is to protect her.

At the off leash parks if there's a scrap going on between other dogs, she will back away from the scrap and come find me. She stands beside me and then we walk away, she stays by my side until we are far enough away.

SOME of this is training (getting her to come over to me while there's a scrap going on), but a lot of it is her knowing that I will protect her (and HAVE) so she's going to go with what she knows ... MY OWNER is the boss of me, and she WILL kick BUTT to keep me safe!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

your socialization probably isn't ruined. set up some
play dates with one or two calm dogs.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.