Doggie Dishwasher Pre-Wash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doggie Dishwasher Pre-Wash

Every dog we've had insists on "pre-washing" the dishes as they are loaded into the dishwasher. It's like impossible to keep them away, and frankly, we don't try very hard. Our two current dogs are no exception. Ozzy is a 9 year old Dobe/Shepherd mix, and BlackJack (Jack) is a 19 week old, 50lb, working line Shepherd...big powerful puppy.

So, the other day my wife is loading the dishwasher, and Ozzy is showing Jack the fine points of the art of pre-wash. It's the usual dance...my wife turns around with some dishes to load...shoos the boys away, loads the dishes, turns back to the sink, and the dogs are at it again....routine, right?

Routine until the ring on Jack's collar gets hooked on one of the posts on the lower dishwasher rack. My wife turns around, shoos the dogs, Jack tries to back up, can't, tries again, can't, and FREAKS OUT!

The full dishwasher rack, loaded with dishes, is then taken on a grand tour of the first floor of the house just as fast as Jack can run so encumbered, which is apparently pretty fast considering where some of the dishes ended up. The whole time, Jack is howling, my wife is yelling for him to stop, the rack is careening off of furniture and door frames and chair legs, and Ozzy is tracking down all of the yummy newly exposed dishes, no doubt planning to "high five" Jack later for the brilliant move.

Somehow Jack finally gets loose from the rack while in the bedroom (my wife never got close to catching him), and he makes a beeline for his crate, and cowers in there whining.

My wife called me at work and told me about it. Jack wouldn't come out of his crate, and she wasn't sure if he was injured, so I took a half day of vacation and went home, thinking during the drive how I was going to minimize the likelihood of any PTSD developing from the incident. You know...I didn't want to spend the next decade buying a new dishwasher every year because Jack eats them out of revenge.

Well, I needn't have worried. When I got home, Jack and Ozzy greeted me enthusiastically at the door as usual, and Jack is showing no signs of hate or fear of the dishwasher. We don't know yet if he will resume pre-washing the dishes...but I'm sure Ozzy won't miss the competition if so.
argonne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OH MY!!! That must've been quiet the sight. A dishwasher wrack filled with dishes attached to the collar of a dog running like a maniac! Whew. Glad all is fine.

Mine like to pre-wash the dishes as well I usually let them do it before the dishes go into the wrack. I've trained them to stay way from the dishwasher but sometimes they get a lick in here and there!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yet another reason why dog collars are dangerous.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm laughing out loud now thinking of the rack getting a grand tour of your home.

Our dogs have always pre-washed too. So how did the dishes hold out? Anything broken or are you going to be the new spokesperson for the brand you have?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Okay, when I read "freaks out" I felt so worried, but I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at your description of this incident. Then I worried he would be traumatized too. Then I realized you are a really good story teller. All is well, so I laughed so more.
Suka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
...So how did the dishes hold out? Anything broken or are you going to be the new spokesperson for the brand you have?
Remarkably, only one plate broke. The rack first hit the floor in the kitchen where the floor is tile, but the rest of the tour was on carpeting. He likely had some traction difficulty until he got on the carpeting. Quixotically, the same carpet that enabled him to really get moving probably protected the dishes as they scattered.

And now for the endorsement: The dishes are Corning Corelle. The one that broke, wasn't. Corning can contact me here to find out where to send the check.
argonne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ha, Correll is great stuff, you have to actually go some to break 'em. Which means I have managed it, but they hold up really well.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Scarlett is a Pre-washer too. Our dishwasher is getting replaced in the spring, so I'll see if they make a GSD-pre-wash proof model. I'm not holding out much hope.

I read your story to my daughter and she was laughing out loud too.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My previous girl got her collar caught on a 5 gallon bucket once. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. Of course she freaked out and yelped loudly as she ran up and down the hallway of the mobile home we lived in. I tried frantically to catch her and help. Seemed like it took for ever and when I did finally catch up to her, it slipped right back off before I touched it. Luckily she was not hurt, but there was a dent in the wall from the bucket.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
Okay, when I read "freaks out" I felt so worried, but I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at your description of this incident. Then I worried he would be traumatized too. Then I realized you are a really good story teller. All is well, so I laughed so more.
This. Exactly. Haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.