What are you thinking!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What are you thinking!!!!!

so i have a 9month old female whos named Zoey, and were walking down the street our normal routine for the end of the day, we round our last corner and out of NO WEAR comes this little girl (she couldn't have been 4) and her mom i stop walking so they can cross in front of us so I'm not dragging Zoey down the street, they pass then all of a sudden the little girl turns around a bolts for zoey, Zoey being a puppy starts jumping around like the puppy she is. and I'm just standing there completely shocked at what im seeing. anyways the little girl reaches Zoey and tries to mount her like a FREAKING pony. I'm irritated at this point, Zoeys freaking out and the mother of the girl just turns and says and i quote "AWWW, HOW CUTE" so zoey puts the little girl to the ground, not aggressively or anything just to stop this little from climbing on her back. and this women FLIPS OUT!!! so were yelling at each other in the middle of the street the little girls crying which pisses the mom off even more. and i just cant help but think what if that little girl ran up to a dog that was actually aggressive and the dog bit her. i mean COME ON people teach your kids not to just run up to any dog strange or not.
Saratm_93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Its more common then you think and it happens more then it should.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've had adults come up from behind some of my dogs and pet them. One lady almost got nailed by one of my dogs who got spooked when she came up behind her.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
I've had adults come up from behind some of my dogs and pet them. One lady almost got nailed by one of my dogs who got spooked when she came up behind her.
I worked with a vet that did get nailed by a husky...what made her approach him from the back still mystifies me. He did some damage to her hand and it was completely her fault..I was in the room playing with him not even 30 seconds before.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Good God, people need to think.

My son LOVES dogs now and is 4 AND a TOTAL PITA trying to control around other dogs. I have to have ALL EYES on him to make sure he wouldnt do exactly what that little girl did.

I have been working on him learning the rules of strange dogs.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, it has happened to me! I was at a public event sitting on a picnic blanket with my dog and this little kid ran over, jumped on my dog's back (she was lying down) and started poking his finger in her eye and twisting her ears. It happened so fast and I was honestly so stunned that it took me a few seconds to react. The mother was just standing there with this smirk on her face. I think she was embarrassed but terrified of dogs so she wouldn't come get her kid and the kid was too young to know any better. On this forum I got yelled at for not protecting my dog. I kind of shoved the kid away and said "no no, no doggy" but he kept coming back and finally I moved to get my dog up and walk the dog away and my husband just grabbed the kid (which we were avoiding since we anticipated the mother then flipping out for touching her kid). It was crazy! All the people standing near us were just glaring at the mother like are you effing kidding? Being a public event I would not take a dog that wasn't good in crowds and couldn't handle interacting with kids but I don't usually consider a kid jumping on the dog's back and jabbing her eyes with his fingers normal socialization. Every since then if I see a little kid's eyes light up when they see my dogs I cross the street.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Walking stick, folks! It's good for other dogs AND obnoxious children!! If that had been my kid, I'd have given it something else to cry about... not yelling at the dog owner! More kids than you'd believe are brought into this world by complete and utter morons. A good crack with a stick won't hurt their IQ any.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've always been an animal lover,but I never ran up to a strange dog when I was younger. What happened to admiring from a distance???
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is crazy and how can people allow their children to go up to a strange dog then get mad if the dog reacts to the child. Same thing if the owner of the dog grabs the child to remove them from the animal's space!

I was taught since I can remember to NEVER approach a strange dog. My parents would smack the crap out of me if I did because they understand how a dog can react and a child could be killed with one bite. Then make me go apologize to the owner for not asking! Respect the animal admire from a distance, ask owner if it is okay to pet the dog.

@ Jag walking sticks sound like a good investment lol!
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

can't teach your kids what you don't know, parent most likely doesn't know any better. imho, it is up to the owner to protect your dog from stupid people, comes with owning a dog. all of my dogs have been kid friendly and i have always stopped children from running up to the dog and schooled them on how to approach a dog. the most important thing to teach, "always ask before you try to pet a strange dog". seems parents do not teach "common courtesy" anymore.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.