What are you thinking!!!!! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
. As much as I will protect my dog I'm not going to thump someone else's kid with a stick either. It's not the kid's fault, they don't know any better.
they'll know better after they get thumped with a stick

honestly, I know how hard it is. But, no, I don't hesitate to remove other people kids from my dog. Because I know that if they get hurt my DOG is going to be the one facing euthanization. Sadly, that is the way the world works so I'd rather risk some parent complaining I touched their kid than my dog scratching or knocking them down
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Yup I have no problem intervening and getting rid of the kid but some people on this forum seem to think that we all have eyes on the back of our head and are at fault for not *preventing* situations like this. Sorry but I can't possibly sit here and think of every outrageous thing that could happen with my dog. If that's the case then really not a single person here could take their dog on a walk around the block. To date none of my dogs have ever bitten a kid and I have no reasons not to trust them in public (and plenty of training, socialization, and proof that they are well behaved dogs) but sometimes people just do or allow their kids to do the most ridiculous things.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #43 (permalink)

My pup is now 4 months and I have noticed that people show her respect now and ask me if it ok to pet her. I was also thinking of one of the vests that say "Ask to pet"
bigd3077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratm_93 View Post
so i have a 9month old female whos named Zoey, and were walking down the street our normal routine for the end of the day, we round our last corner and out of NO WEAR comes this little girl (she couldn't have been 4) and her mom i stop walking so they can cross in front of us so I'm not dragging Zoey down the street, they pass then all of a sudden the little girl turns around a bolts for zoey, Zoey being a puppy starts jumping around like the puppy she is. and I'm just standing there completely shocked at what im seeing. anyways the little girl reaches Zoey and tries to mount her like a FREAKING pony. I'm irritated at this point, Zoeys freaking out and the mother of the girl just turns and says and i quote "AWWW, HOW CUTE" so zoey puts the little girl to the ground, not aggressively or anything just to stop this little from climbing on her back. and this women FLIPS OUT!!! so were yelling at each other in the middle of the street the little girls crying which pisses the mom off even more. and i just cant help but think what if that little girl ran up to a dog that was actually aggressive and the dog bit her. i mean COME ON people teach your kids not to just run up to any dog strange or not.

How did your adult sized dog "puts her on the ground"? And then your dog "Freaks out"? (What does that mean?)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I disagree. I don't think the dog or owner are at fault in any way. The dog's space was invaded, the dog was physically assaulted in a way by this out of control child under no control by a parent that was present. If you intervene and touch someone else's child, then they can call the police. Yet someone can come up and violate your dog and that's OK? Bull. That kid is going to end up eaten one of these days, and it will be 100% the parents' fault.
THIS!

Generally, if I see a child I watch them for a moment. I've always been good at reading body language so I can catch a very slight hint most times. If I notice they're paying Koda attention, or if I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, I move away. Generally her spiked collar, choke chain and her looks in general make most stay back.
I don't usually cross the street, but I just move far enough that I will be able to stop the approaching child from moving to her.

Honestly I don't see how the dog shaking the child off is an issue. Is a nine month old puppy expected to just stand there while a strange, hyper kid is jumping on its back? Just my two cents lol.

Also--- I'd take that stick after the mom. Not the kid.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think the dog or owner are at fault in any way. The dog's space was invaded, the dog was physically assaulted in a way by this out of control child under no control by a parent that was present. If you intervene and touch someone else's child, then they can call the police. Yet someone can come up and violate your dog and that's OK? Bull. That kid is going to end up eaten one of these days, and it will be 100% the parents' fault.

I have noticed on this forum that most people believe its an either/or thing. No one is saying that it is "ok" for a child to just go up to a dog as it wants to. lol

Dog people/All kids are brats its not our fault!
Kid People/kids get away, its all the dogs fault!

lol, sorry, I find it funny. As it was said before, the responsibility is all the way around, not to one or the other, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing, but it does make for good drama
GSDolch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
THIS!

Generally, if I see a child I watch them for a moment. I've always been good at reading body language so I can catch a very slight hint most times. If I notice they're paying Koda attention, or if I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, I move away. Generally her spiked collar, choke chain and her looks in general make most stay back.
I don't usually cross the street, but I just move far enough that I will be able to stop the approaching child from moving to her.

Honestly I don't see how the dog shaking the child off is an issue. Is a nine month old puppy expected to just stand there while a strange, hyper kid is jumping on its back? Just my two cents lol.

Also--- I'd take that stick after the mom. Not the kid.

Shaking a child off or moving isn't an issue, saying "he put her to the ground" is an issue.

"My dog put the puppy to the ground" "My dog put the child to the ground"

Both imply and bring to mind something more than just shaking something off. But, it was explained, so I don't see why it should be an issue.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post
I have noticed on this forum that most people believe its an either/or thing. No one is saying that it is "ok" for a child to just go up to a dog as it wants to. lol

Dog people/All kids are brats its not our fault!
Kid People/kids get away, its all the dogs fault!

lol, sorry, I find it funny. As it was said before, the responsibility is all the way around, not to one or the other, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing, but it does make for good drama
I have raised 3 kids, and I still think all kids are brats! Maybe even more so because I've raised kids.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
they'll know better after they get thumped with a stick

honestly, I know how hard it is. But, no, I don't hesitate to remove other people kids from my dog. Because I know that if they get hurt my DOG is going to be the one facing euthanization. Sadly, that is the way the world works so I'd rather risk some parent complaining I touched their kid than my dog scratching or knocking them down

Wow! That action (depending on how it is implemented) could cause a few real problems!

I can't imagine some stranger adult "removing my kid" without me risking 20 to life!

And god help the person who tried something like that if my dog was in the vicinity.

Would be a MUCH better idea to remove the dog, I would think!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have raised 3 kids, and I still think all kids are brats! Maybe even more so because I've raised kids.

HA! I have two teens in my house now, baby monkeys are less bratty sometimes. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.