crying to sleep - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default crying to sleep

I haven't been here for a bit (busy). And something horrible has happened. The man that I repossesed Spirit from has a new dog from a different breeder. I'm scared for the poor puppy. This man's girlfriend was once a friend of mine and I tried to talk to her. I told her the condition that Spirit was in. About counting every rib by eye sight alone and the shape of her hip bones so clearly showing threw her fur. I even reminded her of the bruising on her face and hip. And the number of times she fear urinated herself the first couple of days with me. Her words to me.

"She pissed herself because you are a backyard breeder who bred a good dog (Achia, poor conformation, good temperament) with an apparently bad dog, with no apparent knowledge, just to make a fast bucks. Scott never hit snowball. She adored him. He was broken hearted when you took her. But that's okay....he has a dog far superior now, an excellent representation of the breed, amazing conformation, rock solid nerves, calm temperament; highly intelligent!!! He understands Purity is the dog he really needs, and she has bonded to him super tight already. Hundreds of witness can tell that he is good to dogs."

I didn't breed show quality. I use to breed farm purpose sheps. This meant moving away from the show appearance and focusing on the work appearance. The male that we breed our sweet Achia to was a champion not in the akc ring but in specialized contests designed for people who breed this dying art. And she knew this. Her nerves before she left were rock solid. She had even passed the starter pistol test with flying colors. Took one glance at it and then ignored it. She is getting back to being that way now that she is with me. But what is going to happen to this puppy. I know farm needs breeders aren't always looked at nice by akc breeders. We are just filling in one of the many areas of this breed.

I tried contacting the breeder who she got the pup from. Here is their face book https://www.facebook.com/WhiteStoneWhiteShepherdDogs . But they refuse to do anything. Not even a response back.

They have already put this puppy (8 weeks) into a bar with loud music. The poor girl was under the table shaking like a leaf. And when the one who she is supposed to be bonded to walked over to her she about crawled out of her skin to get away from him. They have managed to get pictures of him sleeping with and cuddling with the puppy but I don't believe it. Not after what I saw.

Did I condemn 2 dogs to being abused by taking Spirit back?
WhiteSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

This was spirit when I got her

Had a thunder shirt on to help her calm a bit.

This is just a couple weeks later

We play and explore. No more worms and amazing muscle. I can no longer feel her hips.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You have to realize that you can't save all the puppies and dogs in the world. You didn't condem any dog-it's just the way life is. You didn't know what was going to happen and hind sight is always 20/20. You took back one of your pups to protect it-good for you. It's a responsible breeders job to do that IMO. I know it hurts to watch a pup be neglected or abused. But there's only so much you can do...kapeesh?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She is lovely!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
kapeesh?
Yeah I do. Doesn't change the worry. I wish more breeders would check on where their dogs are going. Look in on the people and put an abuse clause in their contracts. Make it harder for these people to get a dog. Or make the abuse laws harder to get away from. It seams so unfair for another pup to go threw this.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSpirit View Post
Yeah I do. Doesn't change the worry. I wish more breeders would check on where their dogs are going. Look in on the people and put an abuse clause in their contracts. Make it harder for these people to get a dog. Or make the abuse laws harder to get away from. It seams so unfair for another pup to go threw this.
Through*

And yes it is unfair...I'm glad you keep an eye on where your pups go...I haven't talked to my breeder in over a year. I often wonder if breeders think about how each individual from their litter is doing...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I often wonder if breeders think about how each individual from their litter is doing...
I know where every pup I ever sold is. I keep in contact with them once a year. Can't do anything past one year of the sale date but we all still talk. They come to me for training advice and just to sit and have a cup of coffee. I wouldn't have it any other way. When they found out I was no longer breeding (Past new puppy mom looking to get one for her daughter who just graduated) she was heart broken and asked me for breeder recommendations. I know the akc standards and what they look for in the ring and the working standard and what they look for on the farm. I always make it clear that these dogs have been breed for work and not show. I was always surprised at the number who preferred that.

I always wanted it to be a law that all breeders do a one year check on their animals. But I know it would never get passed. I still get people coming to me looking for dogs. 5 year waiting list that I had to pass on to a friend when I retired.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We shall talk again soon my WGSD comrade! Am going to bed now. Try and get some sleep without crying...all will be ok c:
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Spirit's puppy picture. She was not happy to sit still. Taken at ten weeks old the month before she left me. She was the last puppy to go from the litter. Mostly because she was to friendly and would race up almost knocking the person over then cry like she was mortally wounded when she would inevitably get stepped on. lol. You can see the attitude she use to have in the pic.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a beautiful pup!

My heart goes out to you! I used to run a rescue many years ago (for ferrets, not dogs!) and it broke my heart to see how some of these ferrets came into the rescue. And that sometimes, the poor creature was so badly abused, we had no choice but to have it PTS.

It's heartbreaking and maddening at the same time ... but Zeeva said it best ... we can't save them all ... she's right ... no matter how hard we try, we can't ... but the fact that you're worried says SO MUCH about you as a person ...

Hugs to you.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.