The most hurtful thing you have ever been told about your dogs is….. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default The most hurtful thing you have ever been told about your dogs is…..

I feel awful because my dogs have not received as much exercise as they should for the past 2 weeks. When DH is home he takes them walking but he works long hours and so I have not been able to do my share because of back problems.

Here is the reason for this rant-first it was my MIL that told my DH that if I couldn't care for the dogs when he wasn't home then we should not have them. Now one of my family members told me to take my lab back to the dog pound because with my back problems 2 dogs was too much for me.I am so upset. Fighting back tears upset! How dare someone say such a thing about one of my best friends? Do people have no clue what my dogs mean to me? I must admit I had a strong urge to slap somebody. I didn't though-this is what I said….

When everybody else is out living their lives who is here by my side? My boys. Who comes up to me and lays at my feet when I am lonely, who walks up to me and lays their head on my lap with a look of complete admiration? Who senses my pain and licks my hand-offering their best method of comfort? My boys of course. And they also don't care how I look, how much I weigh, if I wear jogging pants with hiking boots when I am in a relaxing mood, nor do they care if I am not in the mood to talk. They love me no matter what. They are my best friends-and I love them dearly. My boys happen to be a saddle back GSD and a chocolate lab!:web: Then I went on to tell them that I hope that was the last time they say something like that to me about my boys. The person looked at me like I was nuts.

What is the most hurtful thing someone has ever told you about your dogs, and how did you respond?
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have not had anything hurtful said about my babies, just wanted to say your description of what your dogs do for you, and how they feel about you was right on.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My mother's husband likes to talk crap about Sinister.

He owns a GSD/Husky mix, has never owned a PB GSD, but likes to give his input and act like he knows everything about the breed and compares his dog to mine.

Everytime he opens his mouth when Sinister is around it's almost always an insult.

I usually blow up at him and leave.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When hubby said, "Hondo loves me more..." it was hurtful, because it's true...
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your response was a good one. People who do not have dogs as pets do not understand the bond that developes. Their loss.

My husband has told me that I talk about Dakota's training too much. He has told me, although I don't believe him, that my father has said that too. I don't believe him because I don't talk about her that much to my dad.

This was very hurtful, because he has basically told me he is not interested in something that gives me great joy. How did I handle it. I don't talk about my dog to anyone except people on this board, and with people in obedience class. Very lonely not to be able to share with people who should support me.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
I feel awful because my dogs have not received as much exercise as they should for the past 2 weeks. When DH is home he takes them walking but he works long hours and so I have not been able to do my share because of back problems.

Here is the reason for this rant-first it was my MIL that told my DH that if I couldn't care for the dogs when he wasn't home then we should not have them. Now one of my family members told me to take my lab back to the dog pound because with my back problems 2 dogs was too much for me.I am so upset. Fighting back tears upset! How dare someone say such a thing about one of my best friends? Do people have no clue what my dogs mean to me? I must admit I had a strong urge to slap somebody. I didn't though-this is what I said….

When everybody else is out living their lives who is here by my side? My boys. Who comes up to me and lays at my feet when I am lonely, who walks up to me and lays their head on my lap with a look of complete admiration? Who senses my pain and licks my hand-offering their best method of comfort? My boys of course. And they also don't care how I look, how much I weigh, if I wear jogging pants with hiking boots when I am in a relaxing mood, nor do they care if I am not in the mood to talk. They love me no matter what. They are my best friends-and I love them dearly. My boys happen to be a saddle back GSD and a chocolate lab!:web: Then I went on to tell them that I hope that was the last time they say something like that to me about my boys. The person looked at me like I was nuts.

What is the most hurtful thing someone has ever told you about your dogs, and how did you respond?
No one says much to me personally. However my MIL who is not my biggest fan nor I hers...has made remarks to my husband. For example we chose not to go up to WI for either holiday, K can't be boarded and he is at a point he needs more care than the neighbors can take on. That's fine I don't particularly care to go up anyway. I am also a realist and feel this will probably be his last Christmas with the kids. However MIL was appalled we would choose a dog over family. I was just venting to my best friend this morning and I share your sentiment, I think my exact words were "Kaos has been there every day for me for 9 years, through 2 babies, 2 moves, 3 herniated discs, panic attacks, sleepness nights,and so much more he is always there, MIL has been there when it's convenient and when it looks good, so am I going to choose him over her? Every stinkin (not my exact word) time you bet I will!"

So take care of yourself and try not to pay much mind, I know it's hard. I hope your husband at the very least shuts her down pretty quick.....
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I completely understand. My mother used to have dogs but hasn't in a long time and I very rarely talk about Nova with her but when I do she says " there's more to life and to talk about then dogs!" ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledon View Post
My husband has told me that I talk about Dakota's training too much. He has told me, although I don't believe him, that my father has said that too. I don't believe him because I don't talk about her that much to my dad.

This was very hurtful, because he has basically told me he is not interested in something that gives me great joy. How did I handle it. I don't talk about my dog to anyone except people on this board, and with people in obedience class. Very lonely not to be able to share with people who should support me.
Snarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

that sounds so sad. Growing up I always wanted the dog to be my dog but it never was, they were always my dad's dog. It was depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
When hubby said, "Hondo loves me more..." it was hurtful, because it's true...
Snarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

"Good thing you spent all the money on training" coming from my friend's husband... Needless to say, I told him a few choice words.
mwiacek10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Someone once insisted to another acquaintance of mine that there is nothing wrong with my dog despite having multiple x-rays (from multiple vets at various ages) clearly showing otherwise, a note on the official OFA certificate, and a video of the dog's back making a loud popping noise when he walks. I guess that's not really "hurtful" since it is what it is but I don't like being called a liar.

Other than that, I guess I've been lucky. Most of my friends and family just don't care about dogs, so they wouldn't say anything intentionally hurtful. No one's ever called them ugly or stupid or anything like that.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.