Mona update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mona update

Mona

Nearly a year ago I came onto the forum to share Mona's story (link above). I was so happy with her and loved having her around. Taking her for walks was really the highlight of my day. Unfortunately, she didn't fit in really well the rest of my family. She was aloof around my parents. Just could care less about them. She didn't like my brother. He never did anything to her, but Mona never liked him. She would bark when he walked into the room and would cower away when got close. I would get him to handle her as much as possible (i.e., feed her, take her outside for walks) in an effort to get her to overcome her fear.
It was October 13th, 2009 when I came home from school at 9 pm. I had been out of the house since early afternoon. My brother had met me at the door to say that when he took her out around 5, she got loose. I still don't quite understand how it happened, but somehow the door was open and he hadn't clipped on the leash. She ran out the door and never looked back. I spent only an hour looking for her, promising to start out early in the morning.
The next month I spent every single day looking for her. People would reply to posters, but it was always too late. She had already moved on. The calls stopped coming. I had to face the reality that I would never see her again.
In January, I adopted another dog. Jude came from St. Maarten (my clinic runs a rescue program where they bring dogs up to be adopted in Canada). He was going to just be a foster dog, but that label lasted until I saw a photo...then he became my dog. He was smaller than Mona and a much different personality.
Feb 6th, 2010. It was just about two weeks since Jude came home. There was a message on the machine. I don't remember all of what it said just "This is the Clarington Animal Shelter. We have a dog named Mona here..." I didn't hear the rest of it. I just started shaking and crying. I honestly don't think I have ever felt that happy ever. Soon we were in the car and driving the 40 minutes to the shelter.
I didn't recognize her when I first saw her. I was expecting her to look ragged and skinny, but instead she was fat and fluffy. Her limp was gone. My heart fell for a moment. There is no way this is my dog. But, no, her face...it was Mona's face. She was acting a little wild...pacing back and forth in the cage. I whistled to her. The recognition was immediate. She was on her way back home. Apparently she had made it to the area at the end of October and had been living in a forest. They knew she was there, but were unable to get close enough. They trapped her in a live trap in order to get her into the shelter. Even now, I can't fathom being outside during winter in Canada. She is certainly amazing.
Jude and her got along really well. I remember at the time I was terrified that they wouldn't get along and have to be kept apart. Now that they get along so well it seems silly that it was ever a question

Last month, the three of us (myself, Mona and Jude) accomplished something that was a mere dream...we traveled across the country to the west coast. I went by myself in my 17 year old Jeep SUV. It was certainly not the brightest thing I have ever done, but it was the most amazing thing. The dogs really loved it (basically car rides and hiking...what is better in a dogs world?). On Vancouver island I picked up a kitten along the way. A beautiful white longhair male with blue eyes. The dogs took that in stride. It was a month that I will never forget, but was WAY too short! Canada is too big to explore in that short amount of time. I guess just more to do next time

I'm having issues with posting photos right now, but later tonight I'll post photos of her coming home and of the trip.
Frizbee-14 year old DSH
Molly-3 year old DSH
Delilah -2 year old Bunny
ChickenKitten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, what an incredible story! So happy for all of you!! You were truly meant to be together despite all odds. Can't wait to see pictures.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Truly stranger than fiction. Wonderful. Eagerly looking forward to photos as well. The kitten, too!
Whitedog404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Such a happy ending!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a great ending. You three sound so happy!
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
emjworks05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

YAY what a happy ending.
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
ChristenHolden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think there's a book in there. I'd read it. LOVE happy endings
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Pictures? I think asking for me for a few pictures is a bad idea!! I have thousands of Mona! Let me know if you don't want to see any more! hah

When she first came home. She was just so fluffy!!

Sunset Siloutte

She is no long as hairy. This is earlier this summer

Running at dusk

Jude

They really like to run after eachother

Jude is much quicker than Mona

During the trip I stayed at a provincial park with amazing beaches. The dog beach was as beautiful as the 'real' beach. Mona (who loves to splash around in water) LOVED it!

On a hike

Same hike. The body of water at the top of the photo is Lake Superior

Jude watching the buffalo at Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba

Mona walking on the side of a mountian in Banff

Mona on the rocks in Ulcluet on Vancouver Island

Mona during sunset at Tofino on Vancouver Island

Still at Tofino

And the kitten...named Tofino. Usually shortened to Finn:

I suppose that is it for now!
Frizbee-14 year old DSH
Molly-3 year old DSH
Delilah -2 year old Bunny
ChickenKitten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

What an amazing story! And the photos are beautiful!

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
chevysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story and pictures. All 3 of them are beautiful.
Mac's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.