A Chance Encounter - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #61 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~Train, Compete, ...Liverwurst?~ The t-shirt at the under armour store said Train, Compete, Win...hmm I thought that really doesn't fit us so I changed it-Liverwurst fits much better. It makes both Rorie and Anja's ears perk up. "I'll have a liverwurst on rye" I said. "Anything on that" said the man at the deli. "Nothing" I said and smiled because I asked the same question. It was for my friend H.

Off we went to the show and for a change it wasn't raining, wasn't even snwoing. It was inside and I was a little nervous. I got a little distracted and lost in the rally ring and while I was distracted Rorie remembered where the toy prizes were and off she went. We did a little better in the next ring and things went a little better for our next rally leg Rorie figured I needed a little help. She waged her tail and up to the signs she went and knocked them over-maybe she can read? Somehow we came in third and Rorie earned a toy-I picked the chicken. She earned her CD that day-but we always knew she was a companion dog. Ror spent her time outside of the ring sticking her nose in other peoples training bags-you never know what you might find. Our friend the springer spaniel and his owner was there "You have so much to look forward to" said his owner. At the end of the day she watched a lab get his reward-it looked very good. His handler shared. Rorie enjoyed the liverwurst. As the lab played with his handler Ror growled. "That is NOT your job" said a very official looking lady-I hoped Rorie didn't roll her eyes...Off I went to the grocery store to buy some liverwurst...Someday the goose is going to fly It just hasn't happened yet. It would be so awesome if it was in V formation. Dreaming is nice....
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~The girl is Mine~Rorie protested her plight. We were at rally and she was left in the car-she was in heat. "I'm never going to find my prince" she thought "even when I do get out of the car I'm in diapers"

Off Anja and I went to class Anja was happy to see her friends. She enjoyed the liverwurst-but she is in retirement-so she ended early and I watched the rest of the class.

I"ve never been a cheerleader-but you become very popular when you are the one with the liverwurst. Cody inched off his handlers lap and closer to me and the liverwurst-of course. As Yetti ended the course he ran up to me-only to be attacked by the coated Taco Bell dog-who continued to bare his teeth. It was a little scary. Yetti decided to be the bigger dog (he actually really was for a change) Wow I thought they are fighting over me (and the liverwurst. )
Vidéo Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney - The Girl Is Mine de Miguel76350 (Musique - Miguel76350) - wat.tv
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #63 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~A New Class~Even though we have a hard time arriving for class on time we love our obedience class-but when you get a title you can move to a new class. Some classmates came with us-some were already there and you never know who might show up. We were late the first day-"this class starts on time" laughs one of our old classmates. Rorie and I worked on the drop and recall. She is loving learning new things and so am I. She screams with excitement-I think its contagious. For our stays the instructors Golden makes a Cameo appearance to help those who are having difficulty. Her name is Cameo. Isn't that a cool name. We have a couple of Goldens in our class. Yesterday after class Rorie Anja and I went to the park. Rorie is looking forward to spring so she took an early swim. We can't wait till those days are here again
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~Old Friends~

The summer Rorie was a puppy, Anja Max Rorie and I went for a hike in the woods. When suddenly Rorie flushed a baby deer out of the bush. Anja and Max watched-luckily Rorie quickly gave up the chase. The baby deer was beautiful...

This winter Rorie and I were at schutzhund we were working on our out of motion exercises- we had visitors watching us. I was focused on our obedience. I left Rorie in the sit and as I was walking away there were two deer-stacked in front of us. Rorie was watched them intently. She remained in her sit I was so proud of her When I returned to heel position they were gone. Maybe it was her old friend come back to show he had found his partner.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~The Queen~ School is coming to an end for the year. From my backyard I can watch as children run their laps-Sometimes they stop and talk to Rorie. Anja sits at the fence post and does a Lassie imitation -like she is waiting for a child to come home...They are having end of the year celebrations and this morning as I played with Rorie in the backyard the band played this song. Its a strange song for them to play really. It makes me think of Sadie. Sadie was named after my friend Her real name was Robin but since we knew two Robins we nick named Robin Sadie. Sadie was my first female GSD and since she was so regal my friend nick named her the Queen

In England the real Queen is enjoying her Jubilee They say her popularity is on the rise as evidenced by the increase in popularity of the corgi. Shortly before Rorie's class ends for the summer we meet Sooner as we're leaving. Sooner is a corgi with a tale (I think they are called something else) Sooner always makes us smile. Best wishes to the Queen

Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #66 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~Sometimes even Rorie needs a helping Hand~

We were hiking in Max's favourite spot. There were four of us then. Max thought he was going to be enjoying his retirement years-but the puppy arrived and of course she needed someone to help her along. This one was going to be trouble he just felt it.

Anja Max and Rorie the puppy were all ahead of me. The first sign of trouble was when Anja came trotting down the hill with her "I am so out of here" written all over her face. She didn't even stop for me she was on her way to the van. I could hear Max barking frantically. He had positioned himself at a safe distance and he was trying to warn the puppy...but it seemed this puppy might be deaf-When I arrived it was too late.
Rorie had met an old frenemy of Anja's and Max-she had the quills in her muzzle to prove it. At home I tried to pull out the quills -while Rorie retreated to her crate in pain and Anja positioned herself alongside the crate to comfort her. She had been there before. Off we went to the vet to get the quills out.

It was spring -in the fall Rorie learned her could walk on water. So this timeshe had no fear out she went -only she was on thin ice and she fell through. I stretched out onto the ice and pulled her in. She sank into my arms and I swear she had a little smirk on her face that said "I knew you'd resuce me"

This summer on the lake Rorie came out with a new game for her red ball She bites at it-it sinks and she swims in circles trying to find it. When she dives under water she really does look like a goose. The whole game amuses me. This time she was having a particularly difficult time locating her ball and had been swiming in circles for a while. A family of kayakers came by. "Stay away from that dog" said the father. The boy tried to point to the ball so Ror would see it-but that didn't work. The girl took her oar and reached under and brought the ball up Rorie caught it-Whew its good to meet new friends who help you out when you're in trouble-she almost lost her ball

Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #67 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~Anja hits the campaign trail for top dog~

When I take Anja to the lake I always let Anja off leash. We walk down to the lake and she swims right under the sign that says "Animals must always be on leash" So far no one has said anything. Sometimes people marvel at her behavior. "She came like that I say" And they give me a look that indicates they don't believe me but its true.

Usually she is not much interested in people. But Anja always surprises me. She likes to bark at other dogs-but it is a friendly bark. One day she approached a toy breed barking her hello and when she got up to him leaped up in the air. Its her come play with me invitation. It makes me laugh.

This day although she usually ignores people-she wandered into the picnic area. She was on a mission. She very gently wandered through the toddlers and made her way to the baby and gently nuzzled him. By this time I realized she wasn't with me and watched her. The mothers were commenting to the children saying she reminded them of others dogs they knew. I walked up to her and put her on leash -I guess this is why dogs should always be on leash. "She's never around children" I said. I was so proud of her I loved how gentle she was with the baby.

Later I wondered what prompted her to do that....She was like a politician campaigning for office. Maybe she is campaigning for her top dog. The man who smiled into the entertainment tonight cameras and talked about how he promised his two daughters a dog if they moved into a white house. She thinks its very important that a candidate keep his promises. She hopes Bo stays in the white house...

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (Official Music Video) - Video
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #68 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~A walk down Memory Lane~

Last September I stopped in front of the for sale sign. After I took the picture of Rorie in the avatar-that's our favourit spot. The for sale sign has been there most of my adult life. Across the street is the house my father grew up in-its an old victorian farm house. I have an old picture of my grandparents Emma and Reg sitting on the front steps of the house with their first 2 grandchildren. Blair sat on my grandfathers' lap-he was named after my father's friend.-He nick named his older cousin Jake and Jake sat between my grandparents clutching his Teddy bear.

The family spent the weekends across the road at the family cottage by the water-I spent every summer there -It was where I learned how to swim and close to where Rorie would learn to swim.

I was six-it was Saturday in Kingston with my father-we always spent Saturdays together. We were in my father's red Triumph (a British sports car) going fast-probably. Only this Saturday I wasn't having fun. It felt a little like we were robbing a bank. "I really don't think we should be doing this" I said. "Oh don't be silly" he said "she didn't mean it". My parents never fought-until that day. My father decided to get a dog-a collie-just like the one he had on the farm growing up. I watched Lassie every week on tv (Lassie got the role because she could swim) I had wanted a dog forever-and was thrilled-"Get that dog she said and I will not be here when you get home-Luckily the collie breeder wasn't home...

In the end I believe we got the dog my mother wanted-a westie and years later I found a picture of my mother's friend Mrs Kelly with her westie on her lap-Kelly was my best friend's name and the name of the first German Shepherd I met. We named our Westie Nicky-it was my mother's nick name

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #69 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~Do you know where you're going to~ Lately Rorie has been a little busy. She loves going to work and meeting new friends. She doesn't like it when I go to work without her. So she's learned how to open doors...the first time I came home to 2 police cruisers in the driveway and Rorie laying contently in the back yard. "Boy that is one smart dog" said the police officer and secretly I was rather proud of her. But when I came home a month later and Rorie was no where to be found-I was frantic. What if she was hit by a car-what if I never saw her again. I called 911 and a little while later they called back -she was at Happy Tales shelter...when I picked her up the next morning she was happy to go home-although she did wonder what took me so long. A new dead bolt has been installed she's been staying home....so far.

Off we went for a hike. Same old trail -but Rorie found a new path and I followed her-of course it led straight to the water-she loves the water. She's a goose after all...my family loved the water and Ror is family. She picked up this huge log and carried it. She barked at me and couldn't understand why I wouldn't throw it for her. Finally she found a smaller one and we played fetch. Hiking and playing fetch -a perfect day

Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #70 (permalink)
Crowned Member

~De ja vu-Learning to Swim~

"Are you robbing the bank?" said the man at Canadian customs. I had just told him I was going to the bank. He pointed at the dog crates. "Those" I said frustrated "are dog crates"

I was off to the bank to withdraw money that my father had left me for a GSD puppy-the schutzhund dog. He had also left a letter with instructions on how to spend it-travel. No where on the list ( and my last name is famous for lists) was a GSD puppy. It probably wasn't an oversight.

From the moment she met me she knew she wanted to go home with me. Rorie knows when people need her. Into my lap she fell and went right to sleep. It took me a while longer-and yeah I know I did it all wrong.

Off we went to schutzhund-she was always awesome. Afterwards while all the other dogs hopped into the house water trough to cool off-Rorie refused. There had been other dogs in there-the water was cold and dirty-there was no way she was getting in there ever-And at the puppy re-union while all her relatives jumped happily into the pool Rorie refused-maybe she wasn't related???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.