We will never shop at Home Depot again... (long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default We will never shop at Home Depot again... (long)

We called the Home Depot by our house a few weeks ago and asked if dogs were welcome. We had seen some people in with theirs. They told us she was welcome if she was leashed. We were very excited about another place to introduce her to and socialize her. The first trip went GREAT! She met some new people and the employees loved on her a bit. Abby never once growled or barked at anyone.

My husband took Abby with him to look for some stuff yesterday. He was standing in an isle looking around when an employee with a cart walked by. He mumbled something that my husband couldnt hear. Then he walked back by just staring daggers at Abby and my husband. A minute later he came back around the other corner with a buddy and startled Abby. The employee then stood there staring at her. About a minute later Abby naturally started barking at him. The guys just shook their head and walked off.

My husband then looked for someone and explained to them why he needed to talk to a manager. He felt that Abby had been harassed and needed the manager to know. Guess who the manager was? You got it! The employee that stared down my dog.

The manager said that Abby was a very mean dog and just kept barking at him. My husband explained to him that she was barking at him because he was imposing a threat to her and her owner. Abby was smelling his feet and the guy said "Get your dog OFF me!" I guess the conversation got the attention of other customers who came up to listen and pet Abby. Abby just sat there, not barking or growling, and was doing nothing wrong. As the manager was saying that Abby was a mean dog a customer spoke up and said "Shes not mean, she let me pet her and gave me kisses." Hmmmm The manager was saying that he tried to approach her and thats when she barked at him. He had never once tried to approach, but just starred daggers at her.

My husband finally gave up and just left. We are very disappointed on how Abby was singled out and picked on for doing nothing wrong. We have called corperate office to file a complaint and are waiting a call back from the store manager.

Im very sorry to vent, but I wanted to share our frustration. Guess we are shopping at Lowe's from now on.

GSD Abby 03/21/08-
GSD mix Parker 02/20/10-

Crazy Cats: Lily, Chester, Peanut
manther21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: We will never shop at Home Depot again... (long)

Somehow I think the guy on a sunday afternoon is not the real manager. I would start by complaining here. *edit* that should read 'there'

It's just plain rude but I've had shepherds my whole life and fact is some people, no matter how well behaved your dog is, are going to look at a german shepherd and see mean dog. It's just a fact.

There's a check out lady in the garden center at our home depot (an idiot, messes up ringing my order almost every time.) Morgan is 8, very well mannered with humans and this checker lady always has something snippy to the effect of get that vicious dog away from me. When Morgan is sitting in perfect formation right next to me, 5 feet away from the checker lady. I usually step back and get a little snippy myself, "Morgan, lets go back here, she's not dog friendly'

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

The same thing could easily happen at Lowe's. and if it is a customer who is staring down your dog you'll be the one asked to leave. Lots of people don't like dogs and even those who do often feel that they shouldn't be allowed in public or inside. It's just a downside of taking your dog into public.

Personally, I would keep going back for just the reason that you aren't. Assuming of course that my dog wasn't phased by what was happening.

sadly, this is why most stores are changing to "no pets" not saying your dog was the cause of the problem, but people do things that make our dogs upset and then blamed.

When Rayden was a SD in training, one of the wal-mart's near us had an employee who would sneak up behind us in the store aisles and start barking. Never got in trouble despite numerous complaints all the way to Bentonville.
Then, there is the guy who purposefully rammed him with a shopping cart at a different store.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

How frustrating!!! Abby was set up, no queston about it, BUT (I ALWAYS have a "but"), when out in public with our dogs, I think it is our responsibility to make sure that our dogs are NEVER an inconvenience to others, and that they do not bother people, even if they are doing nothing wrong!! The INSTANT, the VERY INSTANT I see someone uncomfortable because I have a dog with me, I LEAVE!!! There is no way I would ever give that person a chance to complain about my aggressive dog because my "aggressive" dog tried to sniff that person's hand.

Now, with this being the manager, yup, I'd not go back . . . too many potential problems.

Wanted to add too: That when taking my dogs to socialize in a public place, my goal is to not even have people notice that I have a dog - that is how well behaved I expect them to be. I don't want them to make a peep - one bark, and whole store knows there is a "vicious" dog out there somewhere, and people will complain, and that is it for allowing dogs anymore - everybody looses. So if I see a potential issue, like this guy following you guys and staring Abby down, that's it, I'm outta there, unless I know that I can control and keep my dog quiet.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Hubby works at HD and just told me our local store is going "no pets" Most of the employees are unhappy about it, there are many who bring their own dogs in on days off and one customer who has been bringing in his dog every day for over 4 years.

But, the manager doesn't like dogs in his store and of course John Q Public has given him plenty of reasons. People have been using the garden center as an area to let their dogs off-leash. not to mention peeing on all the plants all summer long.

It's also possible that Abby wasn't singled out because she was a GSD, but just because she was a dog. I would talk to the store manager, but wouldn't stop me from going in as long as the policy hadn't changed. Might keep that manager from getting close enough to give my dog the evil eye, but that's about it.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Absolutely absurd!

I would write a letter to the CEO of Lowe's (or whatever the head honcho is called) and copy everyone under the sun.
Lola1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm surprised that Home Depot allows dogs, really? I thought most/all stores other than large pet stores don't allow dogs unless they are service dogs.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
FuryanGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

My local HD has a sign outside the store that says "No Pets", but the employees told me that as long as my dog is well behaved I can bring them in and nobody would care.
I've yet to get any negative comments on my dogs here in FL, only stupid ones. It's always shocking to hear some of these.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: FuryanGoddessI'm surprised that Home Depot allows dogs, really? I thought most/all stores other than large pet stores don't allow dogs unless they are service dogs.
I was at Tractor Supply today and they were giving away stickers for your car that read <span style="color: #CC0000">"TSC ~ My dog's favorite field trip"</span>. I often see dogs in our TSC & have noticed that they have been expanding their pet supply area and are now having sales on pet food.

Time spent with your dog is never wasted!

Abby GSD
Chance GSD
Copper - Beagle
sgtmom52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah, our Tractor Supply has a pretty large dog area...

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
FuryanGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.