German Shepherds Forum banner

Westminster

10K views 85 replies 20 participants last post by  summer7rain 
#1 ·
PLEASE do not let this thread turn into a ASL bashing thread. Every year, talk of Westminster turns into a frog dog, hock walking freak, skittery, spooky, OMG I would never own one of those crippled dogs type of meltdown. I show my dogs and would simply would like to chat or comment about the Westminster show.

The GSDs will be in the ring for breed judging in about 30 minutes. You can watch the judging live at The Westminster Kennel Club | Live! GSDs are in ring 8.

#67 ·
Those toy dog handlers don't break a sweat!

My handler told me if I was planning on showing Carly at the National, that I needed to tell her now since she could start running on the treadmill to get in shape, LOL.

#68 ·
So... Fritz ended up with a Group 3! Congratulations to Pat Walker on her nice boy.

#72 ·
Was it just me or did that Chesapeake Retriever look huge/over weight? I know they are supposed to be on the bigger side compared to the lab, he just looked hefty to me.

#77 ·
Was it just me or did that Chesapeake Retriever look huge/over weight? I know they are supposed to be on the bigger side compared to the lab, he just looked hefty to me.

That Chesapeake was Obese. My question would be, How did that one win best of breed to go on to the Sporting Group? You would think that the Dog would have to be a Healthy example of the Breed! :confused:

#73 ·
Not as fat as the Lab. Breaks my heart to see a good working dog so fat it waddles around the ring. Hate the show labs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#74 ·
Maybe it was the lab I'm thinking of. Both looked horrible to me. My dad used to train/hunt with bird dogs. They were always so svelte and fast.

#75 ·
I don't like a fat show dog either. :(

I've had people on occasion tell me that I need to put weight on my dogs in order to win under certain judges, that these judges like a heavier dog. My girls are slender, and, no, I don't add a bunch of weight on them to win. In fact, I put Carly on a diet right before I showed her as a special in November, because I thought she was looking a bit chunky.

#76 ·
Was a good show this year. Disappointed in BIS. Fritz looked great. Can't believe Buck only got AOM. Lots of absentees, unfortunately. Good quality all around.

Also, the dark bitch was just a dark black and tan. Nowhere near a bi.

#79 ·
I love the showline Labs! They have wonderful, easy going temperaments, and they aren't supposed to be fat either, although they are quite boxy and muscular. The field Labs I've met have not have very nice dispositions at all, but I also suspect they weren't very well bred.

I haven't seen the Westminster yet, it's airing tonight and I have it set to record though. I'll keep my eyes open for those dogs. I'm surprised a judge would reward a dog in poor body condition, that's a shame.

#82 ·
I'm going to start off by saying I'm not bashing...just have a question.

What causes the awkward motion/look you saw on some dogs? The first dog in the GSD ring (woman in blue) looked like it was moving awkwardly and was always about to sit whereas the first GSD that walked into the ring just after her looked and moved more like the stereotype Working Line. The first dog looked like the stereotype for a Show Line.

I'm not trying to start a Working Line v. Show Line fight...I'm just wondering if there's a difference in anatomy or is there just a difference in how every dog moves.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#84 ·
The woman in the blue was showing a bitch that was just 17 months old. Maybe that's why she seemed awkward.
The second dog in was Fritz, who ended up going Best of Breed. He's a seasoned show dog, but very much a show line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.