German Shepherds Forum banner

Westminster

10K views 85 replies 20 participants last post by  summer7rain 
#1 ·
PLEASE do not let this thread turn into a ASL bashing thread. Every year, talk of Westminster turns into a frog dog, hock walking freak, skittery, spooky, OMG I would never own one of those crippled dogs type of meltdown. I show my dogs and would simply would like to chat or comment about the Westminster show.

The GSDs will be in the ring for breed judging in about 30 minutes. You can watch the judging live at The Westminster Kennel Club | Live! GSDs are in ring 8.

#27 · (Edited)
So Best of Breed went to #9 dog "Fritz" GCH Wolf Creek Galaxy of Merivern. And that makes me happy. Pat Walker, who owns him, is probably over the moon by that win. She's a nice lady. I talked to her at the show in OKC this summer, about my girl Carly, and how much I like her (my dog, not Pat, LOL)

#29 ·
They will have the video up later to watch.

So #9 GCh Wolfcreek Galaxy of Merivern is BOB

#6 Ch Windover's Flair of Abedon is Best Opposite

#30 ·
Old show. 2014 Westminster groups are tonight and tomorrow night. GSD breed judging was today. They'll put the video of the judging up later. Herding group is judged tonight, you can watch that live tonight.

#35 ·
Oh! Ok, I kept thinking to myself that I felt like I had seen Malachi win before, lol.

Thank you, I will make sure to record it!

Although I did love that my 3 favorite breeds were in the running for Best In Show last year. The GSD, the Dalmatian and the Doberman. :wub:

I admit though that I do like the Kerry Blue Terrier that was also in the running.

#32 ·
I see Collette all the time in the groups with a mastiff!

#36 ·
#8 got an Award of Merit. Yes, she was dark. Seems like she was a bicolor. Have to look at the video again when it goes up.

#38 ·
Well, I'll be cheering for Fritz! I feel like he's practically family, LOL.

As a side note, Fritz's handler Scott (and his wife) were sooooo nice to me this summer at the OKC show. I was discouraged because Sage got completely dumped all weekend. She just had no spark. And this was coming off her big win right after the tornado in Moore, where she went Breed over 20 other GSDs including 3 specials. And then totally dumped in OKC. Didn't beat a single dog. Scott and his wife told me that Sage was a lovely bitch, and don't be discouraged. That I would finish her. And told me "it's better to be good than lucky". Since that horrible show, she's gotten 3 major reserves, and a 4 point major. I guess I won't give her away, lol.

#39 ·
There was a lot of show lingo in this post. I don't even know what any of it meant lol. "Dumped", "finish her", "3 specials", "major reserves". Could you explain?

#41 ·
Majors and major reserves. Ugh.

Gotta have 2 major wins as part of your championship points. Major wins over over a larger number of dogs. In Oklahoma, it takes 16 bitches to make a 3 point major. You beat all those girls, with your girl, and you win the major. The one that is picked second to the Winner, is called Reserve. First runner up, so to speak. Gets you nothing, LOL. So if you go reserve to the one that won the major, you refer to your placement as a major reserve. Basically it just means OMG we were sooooo close. Argh!!

#44 · (Edited)
That's kind of a loaded question, depending on who you're asking. :rolleyes:

Technically it means that your dog or bitch accumulated the required 15 points in the breed ring. You have to have a total of 15 points, with 2 major wins. Those major wins must be won under different judges. You can't follow a judge around that likes your dog, and just get all your points from them.

Carly finished her championship. She had two 3 pt majors and a 4 pt major, and the rest were 2 pt wins and a couple of 1 pt wins. She wins because she's a powerful mover. Doesn't ever seem to put a foot down wrong.

Sage has not finished yet. She has 13 points, with a 4 point major. One major and she finishes. Sage is typey and pretty and feminine and is a lovely mover.

#45 ·
You're welcome!

I love that big ol' Fritz. He's a hoot at ringside, too. Playful. Nice boy.

#49 ·
I know! People here have the idea that show dogs are just slinking around being all stressed and weird, but we don't have that experience. I've been at a show with Scott and Fritz, and Scott's wife was practically rolling around on the floor with that big goofy dog. Having FUN. That same show, I was ringside with Sage and a friend with a papillon puppy. OMG we drew quite a crowd because that Pap puppy and Sage were having the best time playing. Too cute.

#48 ·
AOM went to the dark bitch #18 and also to Megabucks, who was the Grand Victor at the GSDCA national.

#50 ·
interesting . do you know who #18 is ?

I said the same thing about the Credit Valley dog show --- there was not one GSD who made a spectacle of themselves -- they were all relaxed , not bothering with one another -- as I said there was not one that could not have been an excellent pet . Seeing improvements.

#51 ·
AOM 18 Ch Autumn's Memory Lane Of Miata
Breed: German Shepherd Dog
Sex: Bitch
AKC: DN 32599805
Date of Birth: December 14, 2011
Breeder: Ronald Webb & Lisa J M Webb & Curtis Shaver & Janie Shaver
Sire: Ch Oakhaven's Stonewall
Dam: Weirwoods Tornado Alley Of Stone Ridge
Owner: Jaime L Ward & Mikinsie Ward

#52 · (Edited)
Well that just proves how little they know about GSDs, lol. Can you picture a ring of slinking, weirded-out GSDs, with no ears or tails (how they look when they're stressed) OMG, that would be hysterical with the handlers tripping over them...cruel, but at least people would know what the difference was then. Ah people, what do they know, lol?

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedresults.php?year=2014&breed=germshep

#55 ·
A show is such a noisy, chaotic environment. Nonstop dog barking. Chairs being knocked over. People yelling, running. Dogs racing down the isles. It takes a good dog to tune all the stuff out that is going on around them. We take puppies with us to the shows as soon as it is safe to take them. They learn to walk on a leash, among the crate dollies, and people running down the isles, they greet every kid that is at the show.

#58 ·
If anyone is interested in watching the kids show, Juniors starts right now in rings 11 and 12. We have our very own Junior from here in the OKC metro, with her Dobe, entered.

#62 ·
Yes, you can, but it's "traditional" to wear that handler skirt and jacket. Nice pantsuits are fine though, lol. And ugly shoes. ;)

#65 ·
We have a friend that shows Corgis. She is absolutely stunning, like a model, and is so darn nice that we can't hate her. She had on these darling sparkly shoes at the last show. Can't wear those cute sparkly shoes if you are showing a GSD. Too much running! My handler always changes into her "shepherd" shoes when it's time to show GSDs. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.