German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Showing (Conformation) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showing-conformation/)
-   -   SV show questions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showing-conformation/378865-sv-show-questions.html)

gsdlover91 12-09-2013 05:22 PM

SV show questions

So in the spring time....(April?!) I will be (hopefully) showing Berlin, for the heck of it. Want to 'experience' the show ring.

I am just REALLY confused.

What do I need before hand? Like....pedigree (what kind? I have the certified one), microchip verification? Anything else?

Do I have to be a member of the USCA/DVG/whatever?

Do you find a handler BEFORE? (a regional conformation show) or just show up and pray you find one?

How do I even practice 'gaiting'? (I am worried by joining a conformation class...(AKC) it won't be useful) I stack him (not well but I never have help). But he's used to being put into the pose and holding it for a few seconds.

How do you get their coat show ready? (he has what I call 'afro' fur)

Anything ELSE? :)

Wild Wolf 12-09-2013 05:30 PM

Yes, you have to be a member of the USCA and get yourself a score book and membership number.

If you are going to find a different handler to show Berlin, you can ask local clubs before hand... sometimes you can ask people AT the show itself but IMO that's risky and you may not be able to find someone. You are in Illinois, why don't you ask the amazing Carlos Huerta to show him? :D

I didn't practice gating.. I plan on practicing with my female for when my husband shows her. I regret not practicing.. haha. Hunter just tried to run full out at first, and only started gating towards the end when he was hot and tired of running around in the sun.

The SV shows aren't like AKC/CKC... I would bathe a couple days before not the day before. A super fluffy coat hides conformation, especially with a long haired dog... so bathe a couple days before or a week before, give him a good brush before you go out and that should be sufficient.

Do to your local club trials and watch! Often before a trial the club will host a practice day for people to come out and get their dogs in the ring. I personally am not a fan of showing, so my husband is going to show our female and breed survey Hunter for me. He wouldn't agree to show him in UKC for me, so I am stuck doing that in the next few months...

It will be a great experience for you!

Wild Wolf 12-09-2013 05:38 PM

Also, Lies had a phenomenal post about SV shows...

So you're entering your first SV show.... - GermanShepherdHome.net

MichaelE 12-09-2013 06:27 PM

That was interesting to read. I'm unclear on why an owner cannot become the dog's handler.

I read the paragraph at the bottom about handlers, but it reads like the dog couldn't possibly win without an outside handler.

bill 12-09-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4644001)
That was interesting to read. I'm unclear on why an owner cannot become the dog's handler.

I read the paragraph at the bottom about handlers, but it reads like the dog couldn't possibly win without an outside handler.

Don't know about that show.Years ago I showed akc on.It seemed like in conformation it was who you know; or who you were! To much politics. Professional handlers were well known! That's the way it was people were bias. So sad. I have never heard you couldn't show your own dog. Curious. Bill

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MichaelE 12-09-2013 07:39 PM

I don't have any showing plans for Lisl, but I can tell you if I did, no one is going to handle my dog except me.

I raised her, I trained her, and I'll handle her.

Vagus 12-09-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4644001)

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in, but the impression I got from the other thread was that someone else handles the dog so that you can run ahead and motivate them to move forward while the judge observes their conformation and movement. Liesje mentions that you are allowed to handle your dog yourself, but then you'd need someone else that your dog is familiar with to motivate them

bill 12-09-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4644337)
I don't have any showing plans for Lisl, but I can tell you if I did, no one is going to handle my dog except me.

I raised her, I trained her, and I'll handle her.

I agree I think everyone should show their own dogs .let professional handlers show their own jmo Bill

MichaelE 12-09-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagus (Post 4644521)
Hopefully someone with experience will chime in, but the impression I got from the other thread was that someone else handles the dog so that you can run ahead and motivate them to move forward while the judge observes their conformation and movement. Liesje mentions that you are allowed to handle your dog yourself, but then you'd need someone else that your dog is familiar with to motivate them

They must show some lazy unmotivated dogs. My dog is ready to move out any and all the time.

MilesNY 12-09-2013 08:53 PM

For the SV, double handling is common so the owner runs the outside of the ring and you have a handler in the ring. I did Khaleesi's puppy rating and it was fun. For her adult rating I am thinking of bribing Alexis to handle her for me.....

You should do it. It's a fun day!