How to decide to show your GSD or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to decide to show your GSD or not?

I have had several breeders suggest Django would be an ideal conformation show dog candidate, and he certainly has an excellent temperament so far. He's only 4 months old, but I have shown dogs before in conformation classes and have a good idea of how it works.

But how do you decide whether or not to actually do it? It would mean delaying his neutering for a while during his show years and with him being already 46 lbs at 16 weeks old we know he's going to be big and strong, and don't want to have an unneutered male GSD unless absolutely necessary.

He's also one of 3 males that are the last (and only) of his bloodlines from Austria. We all signed non-breeding contracts with the CKC as part of the purchase contract from the breeder, so is there even a point in showing a non-breeding male?

The breeder kept one of the males, is not planning on showing him, and the other male was purchased by a dairy farmer who has already neutered him and uses him as a livestock guardian.

How did you make the decision?
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I show my dogs for a couple reasons - the main one being I LOVE it! Win or lose, a day at the dog show is more fun that a almost anything else!!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

if you have a show dog show him. training and socializing takes
care of the neuter factor. good luck showing.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

Show the dog. Most dogs love it. I mean the ones who go to shows. Fiona having never been to one may think she's too sexy for this show. Doggie dad is right about training and socialization can make an intact male not act like a nut.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You don't mention which venue you're thinking about.

AKC is very expensive, most GSD people need to hire a professional handler to show their dogs and I've found that often the exhibitors aren't the most friendly people walking around.

UKC is very reasonably priced, most people show their own dogs (not sure if this is still true, but at one time professional handlers were not allowed unless the owners cheated and put the handler on as a co-owner), the exhibitors are friendly and will often lend a helping hand (especially with newbies). IMHO UKC is a good way to get your feet wet in showing, see if you and your dog like it before flushing a lot of money down the drain only to discover you don't enjoy the conformation ring.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you signed a non breeding contract what is the purpose of showing the dog .
what are these last of the lines pedigrees.

showing can be expensive .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd show the dog if you want too. Most of the people are friendly and you will probably enjoy it. Who knows, you may make some new friends with the same interests as you. I show cats in Premiership which means they must be neutered. I have a great time and have met some pretty awesome friends.
Odin24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What type of show? AKC? SV? UKC? Something else?

Showing does not need an end goal or purpose - same as there are people with speutered mixed breeds that participate in sport venues. They do it for the love of the game

I have shown dogs for pet owners that bought their first GSD, were excited to participate in the venue, had no intention of breeding, and had never stepped in the show ring. They all have fun and enjoy presenting their dog. I show my working line dogs in SV shows beyond the usual 12-24 rating for a breed survey, because I love to show and enjoy the benefits that come with show training and presentation. Xochi went VP at the national USA Sieger show recently - doesn't "count" for anything, but I will show her every opportunity I get because she is a nice dog and I want to present her.

I strive to showcase my dogs (working or show line) in both conformation and working/sport venues because I am proud of my dogs and want to exhibit them in a public venue, regardless of what the dog "should" be doing according to arbitrary line designations.

If you are interested in showing, show and have a good time

Were you the one with the Xbox grandson? If I'm remembering correctly, SV or UKC is probably your best bet.

Last edited by qbchottu; 05-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
UKC is very reasonably priced, most people show their own dogs (not sure if this is still true, but at one time professional handlers were not allowed unless the owners cheated and put the handler on as a co-owner), the exhibitors are friendly and will often lend a helping hand (especially with newbies). IMHO UKC is a good way to get your feet wet in showing, see if you and your dog like it before flushing a lot of money down the drain only to discover you don't enjoy the conformation ring.
It's still true, no professional handling and any pro handler can only show their own dogs. You can have someone else show your dog for you, you just can't pay them and they can't be a pro handler somewhere else. Lots of people have Juniors showing their dogs since they get points for themselves or however that works. Last show I was at, there was a woman next to me with four dogs and she was by herself so she grabbed random people to help hold and even show her dogs (I held dogs ringside since I've never shown her breed before). That sort of thing is super common, people are very helpful, at least where I show. Like if you have two GSDs and they both win their class and then have to go back in the ring together, usually someone will jump up and offer to take one in. Most people just like to be in there showing a dog as much as they like to win.

When Nikon was 4 months old I let someone else show him because she'd never shown a GSD before and wanted to try
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 05-31-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
AKC is very expensive, most GSD people need to hire a professional handler to show their dogs and I've found that often the exhibitors aren't the most friendly people walking around.
I know everyone loves to bash AKC conformation, but that isn't strictly true.

I don't know how much it costs to enter a UKC show, but entry fees lately have been about $26-$28 to show in AKC. I DO have a handler, which I pay a reasonable amount to show my dogs. I can't run around a ring to save my life - my knees are completely shot - so a handler is a necessity for me. We have plenty of people in our GSD club that show their own dogs, including Juniors.

At the shows, if an exhibitor needs to have someone go back in with their dog, there is always someone ringside willing to jump in and help. I've had TOP handlers (Clint and Brian Livingston, for example) say to me "you need someone to take her back in?", and then grab my dog's leash and head back into the ring. Yes, for free. An 11 year old Junior took Carly back in for Best of Breed one time, because my handler had to take her special in. The Junior won with Carly.

I don't know, maybe it's just the part of the country that I live in. All my friends love to talk about our dogs with anyone that comes up to us at a show. I explain what's going on to people watching ringside that have never been to a show and are completely clueless about what they are seeing.

And yes, I have been around some unfriendly people at dog shows. I've been around unfriendly people at herding events, and at obedience trials. Some people are just unhappy wherever they go.

I say, if you want to show your dog, then show your dog. Do it for fun. Pick a venue that's suited for your particular dog, so you don't get too frustrated. I had no idea I had a competitive streak, until I got a show dog!

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound

Last edited by dogfaeries; 05-31-2013 at 12:32 PM.
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.