German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Showing (Conformation) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showing-conformation/)
-   -   Long hair question (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/showing-conformation/196014-long-hair-question.html)

PuppyKono 12-09-2012 04:02 PM

Long hair question

I was told the other day that in german shepherd shows the spilt up the long haired and the stock coat german shepherds. I was just wanting to know if that is true. Is it? its a stupid question but I wanted to know. Thanks

Xeph 12-09-2012 07:59 PM

If the dog is a true long coat (no undercoat) it is true. If it is a long stock coat (long hair with undercoat) this will not occur

TFleahman 12-09-2012 08:02 PM

Could someone post a picture of the difference in a true log coat and stock long coat with undercoat? I have a long hair pup, she is my first shepherd, and I'm curious what the difference is :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Xeph 12-10-2012 04:30 AM

It's hard to find pics of true long coats. Most coaties are long stock.

A Bearded Collie is a long coated dog that demonstrates what a true long coat GSD would look like sans undercoat. A Briard is another example

Liesje 12-10-2012 09:16 AM

In SV shows, yes they split stock coats and long stock coats into their own classes.

PuppyKono 12-10-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 2651619)
In SV shows, yes they split stock coats and long stock coats into their own classes.

Thank you! :)

PuppyKono 12-10-2012 03:38 PM

New question are you not allowed to cut a coaties fur? Ive been reading things and I'm wondering for shows if you aren't allowed to because Kono her fur on the top of her back was black then it turned tan and now its coming in black again. Do I just keep brushing her and then that hair will come out soon and the hair on her back will be black again....

martemchik 12-10-2012 05:11 PM

In SV they have started to split. In AKC, you'd still show together. If you part your dog's outer hair, you should be able to see a shorter, thicker undercoat. If you don't then I'm pretty sure your dog would just get disqualified in the AKC ring, and if not disqualified then it wouldn't place very high among a bunch of stock coats. A long coat isn't a disqualifying fault, but it is a point fault so all else equal, a shorter haired dog will be more successful in the breed ring.

The reason you can't cut the fur is that some breeders will shave/cut their longer stock coated GSDs in order to make them look like short/medium coated GSDs. They'll cut the hair on the ears and the feet (usually the biggest give away of a long coat) so that their dogs will have a better chance in the breed ring.

PuppyKono 12-11-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 2652071)
In SV they have started to split. In AKC, you'd still show together. If you part your dog's outer hair, you should be able to see a shorter, thicker undercoat. If you don't then I'm pretty sure your dog would just get disqualified in the AKC ring, and if not disqualified then it wouldn't place very high among a bunch of stock coats. A long coat isn't a disqualifying fault, but it is a point fault so all else equal, a shorter haired dog will be more successful in the breed ring.

The reason you can't cut the fur is that some breeders will shave/cut their longer stock coated GSDs in order to make them look like short/medium coated GSDs. They'll cut the hair on the ears and the feet (usually the biggest give away of a long coat) so that their dogs will have a better chance in the breed ring.

Gotcha! Thanks!

Andaka 12-11-2012 05:18 PM

You can't cut the hair for showing because natural hair has a point on the end and cut hair will have a blunt end. So if a judge looks for it, they can tell.