Should I Show Varick In The Future? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Should I Show Varick In The Future?

I've always really liked watching German Shepherd Conformation shows, and I wanted to try showing Harley, just for fun. Now I realize that this is impossible due to his Fear Aggression. Also, aren't males supposed to be intact? 'Cause Harley's neutered. (Maybe it's different for 4-H shows/Junior shows?)
Since I cannot show Harley, I was thinking that I would like to show Varick! His pedigree shows German show line dogs with VA titles, and the DDR working dogs have V titles. (Though this may not matter for certain shows.) I will probably be showing with the 4-H club.

-Could I get some Junior Showmanship information?
-If anybody knows what to expect from a 4-H dog show, could you give me a description?
-What do you think of the idea of showing Varick?

Here is his pedigree: Varick vom Haus Jeffery

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Our 4h only does dog obedience at county fair and that is about it - they do showmanship but you are only judged with how you handle and show your dog and the dog itself is not judged. There is no just showing your dog like you see on TV. Here, they are not required to be intact or have any kind of papers - just have to be a dog and have current vaccinations. If you are looking at 4h I would contact you local extension or club and if you are already in 4h you leader would should also be a wealth if info.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdrees View Post
Our 4h only does dog obedience at county fair and that is about it - they do showmanship but you are only judged with how you handle and show your dog and the dog itself is not judged. There is no just showing your dog like you see on TV. Here, they are not required to be intact or have any kind of papers - just have to be a dog and have current vaccinations. If you are looking at 4h I would contact you local extension or club and if you are already in 4h you leader would should also be a wealth if info.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Hmm. That is not at all what I thought it was. I would rather have my dog judged. I willl contact the local Extension Center though, to find out more. Thanks!
How about an SV show? I'm just worried that they don't have them held near me.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male

Last edited by HarleyTheGSD; 11-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here is a link with some information on shows.
USCA - Club Events
Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

To do an SV show you need the full AKC registration certificate, the 4-generation AKC certified pedigree, permanent ID (tattoo or microchip), and depending on what organization hosts the show you may be required to be a member.

SV shows also have Junior showmanship but like 4H you earn points based on how many dogs YOU show, not how well the dog does.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

What has made you decie you want to show in conformation?

What prompted you to buy Varick? Did you know he was mixed lines when you bought him? Did you buy him as a show dog or as a performance dog?
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
To do an SV show you need the full AKC registration certificate, the 4-generation AKC certified pedigree, permanent ID (tattoo or microchip), and depending on what organization hosts the show you may be required to be a member.

SV shows also have Junior showmanship but like 4H you earn points based on how many dogs YOU show, not how well the dog does.
Yes, I do have the AKC registration certificate, the 4-generation AKC pedigree and he is microchipped (and I do have his microchip number). So what, either way the dog isn't really judged? That doesn't really sound like a dog show to me....but then again, I don't know much about conformation.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Here is a link with some information on shows.
USCA - Club Events
Thanks!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 12-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
What has made you decie you want to show in conformation?

What prompted you to buy Varick? Did you know he was mixed lines when you bought him? Did you buy him as a show dog or as a performance dog?
I have been interested ever since I got Harley (my first GSD), which wasn't actually much too long ago. I became interested in structure as well as temperament of the GSD.
I bought him as a performance dog (SchH), and yes, I knew he had mixed lines. Is this a problem for showing? Can you only show pure lines? If showing will interfere with working, then I won't show. I just thought it would be an exciting experience.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can find nearby USCA or WDA shows. But be warned that if you want to be involved in dog sports and competition, you must be willing to travel. I would not be so keen to stay close when you are looking for venues, shows or trials. It will limit your options.

You can show in SV conformation shows. But be warned, you will not be placed high. For one, SV conformation tends to move working dogs to the back. Unless you have a working dog with structure that conforms to the ideal in the conformation ring, you will not be able to place very highly with a working dog in a ring of show lines. (To the contradictors: Yes, WL can show well, but I am speaking generally and with OP's dog in mind) Additionally, crosses are usually not that well received since there tends to be a bias against them in both the show and working worlds. The dog does not have a known pedigree (parents are not actively worked, shown or bred) - that makes it a little more difficult for him to place high.

His structure right now is ok, but he is a pup still so he might improve as he develops and matures. You *can* show in SV shows, but be aware that in the classes, you will probably not place as high as the other dogs being presented. If this is not an issue for you and you just want the experience, that is fine and you should go for it. But just go into it knowing the reality of the situation.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.