Should I Show Varick In The Future? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
You can find nearby USCA or WDA shows. But be warned that if you want to be involved in dog sports and competition, you must be willing to travel. I would not be so keen to stay close when you are looking for venues, shows or trials. It will limit your options.

You can show in SV conformation shows. But be warned, you will not be placed high. For one, SV conformation tends to move working dogs to the back. Unless you have a working dog with structure that conforms to the ideal in the conformation ring, you will not be able to place very highly with a working dog in a ring of show lines. (To the contradictors: Yes, WL can show well, but I am speaking generally and with OP's dog in mind) Additionally, crosses are usually not that well received since there tends to be a bias against them in both the show and working worlds. The dog does not have a known pedigree (parents are not actively worked, shown or bred) - that makes it a little more difficult for him to place high.

His structure right now is ok, but he is a pup still so he might improve as he develops and matures. You *can* show in SV shows, but be aware that in the classes, you will probably not place as high as the other dogs being presented. If this is not an issue for you and you just want the experience, that is fine and you should go for it. But just go into it knowing the reality of the situation.
That is all the information I needed, and I'm glad to have a straight-forward answer. I mainly just wanted to put a show title on him, but I would love to do this just for experience.
Thanks!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
Yes, I do have the AKC registration certificate, the 4-generation AKC pedigree and he is microchipped (and I do have his microchip number). So what, either way the dog isn't really judged? That doesn't really sound like a dog show to me....but then again, I don't know much about conformation.
Yes the dog is judge but your post mentioned Junior showmanship. In SV I believe the Juniors can earn points for themselves, as well as however the dog is placed (these dogs are in the same classes as the others, there's no special class or placement for Junior handlers). The same is true for UKC, if I use a Junior handler I list her on my entry so that counts towards her Junior showmanship. I'm honestly not sure what happens after that since I never showed as a Junior, I've only used them to show my dogs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
That is all the information I needed, and I'm glad to have a straight-forward answer. I mainly just wanted to put a show title on him, but I would love to do this just for experience.
Thanks!
No problem. You can put a show rating (titles are for working accomplishments) on him. I bet he will get a "P" (promising - highest is VP very promising) in puppy class and a "G" rating (Good rating - higher ratings are SG very good V excellent or VA excellent select) in young adult and adult classes. Maybe higher if the judge is nice and knows you are doing it for fun.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Also - see if there are any training clubs/groups in your area that do ring training. You don't just want to show up on the day of the show with no training. Some judges are really NASTY when the dog is obviously not ring trained. And even if they seem understanding, it still puts a bad taste in their mouths for working line dogs.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Agree with phgsd. Get him used to being in a stack, holding a position, getting messed with by strangers, getting his ears/feet/testicles checked, going around in a ring, looking for you with his head up, not spinning/goofing off or sniffing the ground, pulling and gaiting well. A good club with show experience will teach you how to do it right.

I am reminded of a recent experience with an unruly pup with little to no show training. Handling her was a nightmare. While putting the collar on, she got me in the nose and gave me a nasty nosebleed. While in the ring, she would spin around and bounce - don't think I saw her gait once. Forget stacking her lol. Judge was not pleased

Her litter sister with experience showed well and did what was expected of her. Of course the sister was placed first!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

The UKC is a good place to get your feet wet, so to speak, in conformation. It's a bit friendlier and much more relaxed than the AKC. They have some big shows in MO, also. AKC Open Shows, while few and far between, are very relaxed and sometimes have a handling seminar before the show. However, you should get a couple of hands on "showing" lessons well before the show date. Open shows don't give Championship points, but give Certificate of Merit Points, instead.

http://www.akc.org/events/search/ind...=1&fixed_tab=1

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/...gEvents&Type=E

Last edited by FlyAway; 12-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
FlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

I used to show obedience and conformation in 4-H. It's true that they judge you more than the dog, but it's the best I think for learning how to move in a ring. You'll get so much experience if you ever want to go professional or even semi-professional.
Snickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Agree with phgsd. Get him used to being in a stack, holding a position, getting messed with by strangers, getting his ears/feet/testicles checked, going around in a ring, looking for you with his head up, not spinning/goofing off or sniffing the ground, pulling and gaiting well. A good club with show experience will teach you how to do it right.

I am reminded of a recent experience with an unruly pup with little to no show training. Handling her was a nightmare. While putting the collar on, she got me in the nose and gave me a nasty nosebleed. While in the ring, she would spin around and bounce - don't think I saw her gait once. Forget stacking her lol. Judge was not pleased

Her litter sister with experience showed well and did what was expected of her. Of course the sister was placed first!
Well then it would probably be best if I started showing with 4-H first. The teachers will help me with the basics of showing and training for the show ring.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickelfritz View Post
I used to show obedience and conformation in 4-H. It's true that they judge you more than the dog, but it's the best I think for learning how to move in a ring. You'll get so much experience if you ever want to go professional or even semi-professional.
I think I will try showing with 4-H first. You're right, I will get a lot of experience that may be good for future reference. The officers will go through all of the basics with me. I will attend a meeting first and ask some questions, to see if this is really something I want to do.
Thanks!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.