HD in 7 month old- Pics and question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HD in 7 month old- Pics and question

I had my pup Polar Bear neutered at 7 1/2 months (about a month ago), and asked the vet to take a quick x-ray of his hips while he was under. Per the vet, they aren't the worst hips she's ever seen on a puppy, but they're still pretty bad.

He's on glucosamine + MSM + chondroitin, fish oil, Adequan, and I'm making sure he's kept very lean. I'm aware that surgery may not be avoidable in the future.

He never has shown signs of being in pain, and he's able to run around for hours every day with my lab in the backyard. He does seem very slow to me for a dog his age, and it suddenly makes sense why he's never even attempted to jump up on the furniture. I still have to pick him up to put him into the back of my car; he's never even tried to jump in himself.

Polar also has megaesophagus (I sure picked a winner, huh?), and I worry about the long term consequences of his weight being placed on his rear legs every time he eats or drinks because of his food and water needing to be elevated. He already will always opt to sneak into my other dog's crate and drink her water as opposed to standing up and getting his, and I worry that it's not comfortable for him to have his weight resting on his hips like that. I know that it's a necessity, but should I be worried about how this will affect his long term health?

Just some background info.... Polar Bear was fished out of a dumpster when he was 5 weeks old. He is not from any sort of good or responsible breeder. I thought it would be interesting to show rads from a dog with such an unknown background.
PolarPup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

You did a great thing saving this pup. We are only given what we can handle, so it's good you are being proactive.

I would find a rehab vet, get your pup into a structured exercise program that will help build the supporting muscles. That's most important.

There is a possibility he will outgrow his mega E. Slim but there. And based on the cuts wear and tear that causes, I would find a good Orthopedic vet and maybe talk about doing surgery on one hip sooner rather than later.

I wish you all the best.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

aw poor baby
thank you for saving him!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.